• Death - incarnation, afterlife

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What was your best decade ? Is the saying life begins at 40, now 50 apparently true ? Apparently the happiest people in the Country are over 65's even though they are closest to meeting the Grim Reaper.

From your experience is their any truth in these statements ?

Probably more for the oldies but are you your happiest now or is youth all ?

Life by definition starts at birth but maybe when a certain age life experiences moulds you into the best form of yourself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oy, US, you just shifted my request for advice in the NSC leader board with your wittering, y'*******!

In answer, it is definitely this one (50s). Without a question of doubt. Youth is wasted on the young. Or as Douglas Adams put it, life is wasted on the living ;-)

All the best.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Life begins at 50 my @rse, i am still in my 40s and already f...ked.

Life begins at 40,
Try telling that to John Lennon!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
What was your best decade ? Is the saying life begins at 40, now 50 apparently true ? Apparently the happiest people in the Country are over 65's even though they are closest to meeting the Grim Reaper.

Life by definition starts at birth but maybe when a certain age life experiences moulds you into the best form of yourself.

Pink Floyd Album - Dark Side of the Moon - Time - covers it perfectly IMO.

We are all waiting for 'the starting gun' ! We, none of us, really recognise the best phase of our lives until we have passed it !

www.pink-floyd-lyrics.com/html/time-dark-lyrics.html - Cached

Hope that link works !

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
0-10 Dont remember much apart from my dad died when I was 5.
10-20 School was shit but punk in 1977 and starting work at 16 made it a lot of fun. Summers seemed really long and always hot.
20-30 Started working for BT. Left home (realised washing and ironing didn't do itself). Was free to do anything I wanted and always had a few quid in my pocket.
30-40 Got married, had a child. Moved to Devon. Moved back.
40-50 Same old same old, didn't change jobs or house, just got a bit older and fatter.

Turned 50 this year and looking forward to making some big changes, including house moves and maybe early retirement from BT although my current job is fairly well paid and quite easy as I've been doing it a long time and I'm good at it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

have you ever thought that maybe that is why?:cool:

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
30, I think.

If we're going to be literal, then of course it starts at birth. But, childhood, teens and 20s are fantastically confusing and messy. I'm starting my 30s nicely. Might all go tits up though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't want to relive my 30s, although just 2 of them are left and maybe all will change for the better in them and they'll be classed as the worthiest of decades, but i have to be of the mind that the next set will be finer to me. I haven't been struck with terminal misfortune, although the doctor's report broadcasting YOU ONLY HAVE 51 MORE YEARS TO LIVE felt like it would be one i would slowly and uncomfortably die through. I'm over the worst of it, and i don't stare at the heavens and wish for them to take me - before they analyse my lifedoings and see me as a low-end sinful disbeliever and cast me back down to some limbo where the fun of haunting soon passes and the craving for the tangible takes over to the point where every ghost attempts to track down Bruce Willis and make him a little boringly realise he's one of us - but the sadness is not deleted and every now and again, perhaps thricely a day or thereabout, a trickle of the poison of my limitations begins to fill the small blackened wound on my left temporal lobe and dizzy me into self-nonbelief. It could be argued that i should makedo with what i have and be thankful that not all life was ended, just a slight limp, an exhaustion brought about by the average day of times of yore and a distinct inability to link memories and tie allthetime together words, and that is true and should be taken on board more lovingly and appreciatively, but sometimes it's difficult to brush aside the sorrow of the incident and its ongoing effects completely. This is all a gripe though, written pretty much to myself in all honesty and don't believe much in fate or remember so greatly what i may or mayn't have done to reward myself with injury, and has no place here really. My 30s will end and i'll do my best when they do to remember the much greater travel i've undergone during them and the love i've received and the glory-years of the Albion i've been present at, whilst sure enough that my 40s will start in their own way, perhaps a little unattached to the decade of jagged chance. I vote 40s, with hope.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
0-10 Dont remember much apart from my dad died when I was 5.
10-20 School was shit but punk in 1977 and starting work at 16 made it a lot of fun. Summers seemed really long and always hot.
20-30 Started working for BT. Left home (realised washing and ironing didn't do itself). Was free to do anything I wanted and always had a few quid in my pocket.
30-40 Got married, had a child. Moved to Devon. Moved back.
40-50 Same old same old, didn't change jobs or house, just got a bit older and fatter.

Turned 50 this year and looking forward to making some big changes, including house moves and maybe early retirement from BT although my current job is fairly well paid and quite easy as I've been doing it a long time and I'm good at it.

Interesting as I turn 50 this year.

0-10 Not much remembered but a happy life in Amberley for 9 years and lucky for me Mum and Dad still alive
10-20 Great fun, met my wife and the 80s were brilliant
20-30 80s still great started work for BR and still there post privatisation. Got married had first of two kids and spent 5 years in Birmingham
30-40 Had 2nd kid moved back to Shoreham, all good fun
40-50 Kids growing up, career moved on. Eldest now in the USA for two years, youngest GCSE year just about to start, bit fatter but lots of great holidays and a fantastic wife

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure if a poll is right for this thread, bearing in mind that a lot of posters are under 30 so will be somewhat restricted in the age group they can vote for.

I'm in my 50s. Have enjoyed different decades for different reasons.

There used to be a poster that carried the slogan "THE FIRST TWENTY MINUTES OF LIFE ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS".
Beneath it, someone scribbled "AND THE LAST TWENTY MINUTES ARE NOT WITHOUT THEIR HAZARDS".

Somewhere in between is probably the best time of your life. You choose.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Well I thought it was my teens, can't really remember my 20's, bit of a blur. 30's were great, 40's better, & so far the 50's are pretty good. Can't complain.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I don't want to relive my 30s, although just 2 of them are left and maybe all will change for the better in them and they'll be classed as the worthiest of decades, but i have to be of the mind that the next set will be finer to me. I haven't been struck with terminal misfortune, although the doctor's report broadcasting YOU ONLY HAVE 51 MORE YEARS TO LIVE felt like it would be one i would slowly and uncomfortably die through. I'm over the worst of it, and i don't stare at the heavens and wish for them to take me - before they analyse my lifedoings and see me as a low-end sinful disbeliever and cast me back down to some limbo where the fun of haunting soon passes and the craving for the tangible takes over to the point where every ghost attempts to track down Bruce Willis and make him a little boringly realise he's one of us - but the sadness is not deleted and every now and again, perhaps thricely a day or thereabout, a trickle of the poison of my limitations begins to fill the small blackened wound on my left temporal lobe and dizzy me into self-nonbelief. It could be argued that i should makedo with what i have and be thankful that not all life was ended, just a slight limp, an exhaustion brought about by the average day of times of yore and a distinct inability to link memories and tie allthetime together words, and that is true and should be taken on board more lovingly and appreciatively, but sometimes it's difficult to brush aside the sorrow of the incident and its ongoing effects completely. This is all a gripe though, written pretty much to myself in all honesty and don't believe much in fate or remember so greatly what i may or mayn't have done to reward myself with injury, and has no place here really. My 30s will end and i'll do my best when they do to remember the much greater travel i've undergone during them and the love i've received and the glory-years of the Albion i've been present at, whilst sure enough that my 40s will start in their own way, perhaps a little unattached to the decade of jagged chance. I vote 40s, with hope.

You need to write a book mate. Loving your posts!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's difficult for me to say. Ever since I was a very young lad I have listened to music and gone to gigs, enjoyed the Albion, read newspapers and enjoyed travelling. In some respects nothing has changed as these are the key things I still do at 45 but now with a wife to share the experience (well, except the Albion) and on the grander scale which age, hindsite and a little bit of extra money brings. I have enjoyed most decades and achieved some long held ambitions in each and I hope I will do the same in the coming years. I think my life began at the age of 15.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
There used to be a poster that carried the slogan "THE FIRST TWENTY MINUTES OF LIFE ARE THE MOST DANGEROUS".
Beneath it, someone scribbled "AND THE LAST TWENTY MINUTES ARE NOT WITHOUT THEIR HAZARDS".

Somewhere in between is probably the best time of your life. You choose.

Some wag wrote that on a poster at my Doctors surgery, years ago.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Life's a bitch and then you die.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here