Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feedback from a neutral

rainhamend

Aug 8, 2013
Posted here a few weeks ago asking for advice. A Gillingham fan down in Brighton for the weekend (yes I left my caravan in Medway... yes the Steak and Ale pies make a nice change from roadkill etc etc..)

Someone replied saying it would be nice to have some feedback so here goes.

Negatives: The queuing for the train. To be expected, and not much of pain, but still a pain none-the less. I was probably naive thinking I could turn up to the station at 1.30 and get on the 1.40 train. Absolutely rammed there and on the way back (the way back was more of a pain).. but I don't go to football matches for comfort, so not a massive negative factor. Must be a pain not having the ground in Brighton, but better than no ground at all.

Queue for the food/ drink in the North Stand. I would perhaps expect it to be less of a wait in a new stadium where it could have been configured better. Results in people missing the last 10 minutes of the first half to get food. But again, I have never been to a stadium where it isn't like that, and the Steak and Ale pie made up for it. Although the price of the food was a tad steep.

Getting a flash of a man's todger as he cocks his leg to p*ss in the sink.

Other than that, I can't think of any other negatives, it was a great experience.

Positives: Drink prices are relatively decent. Been to a lot of grounds where a little bottle of cider would put you back £4, so a full pint is reasonable. A good sized concourse as well.
Toilets are easy, although I am used to large chaotic queues at Priestfield.

Atmosphere. Pretty good for a new build. I was at the back of the North Stand so i can't comment on how well the noise is retained, but from where I was it was great, very impressed with the fans.
Stadium: A beautiful stadium with lots of character. A refreshing change from the usual new build. Not a fan of padded seats, but that's just me being old fashioned. Reminds me of a modern version of Goodison Park. A good mix between tradition and modernity. If/when Safe Standing gets legalised, convert the North Stand and that would make it a perfect stadium.

I can't comment too much on the game, as I wasn't exactly sober. But you done the job. Anything is a good quality of football compared to what I usually see.

Overall a great experience and ground fit for the Premier League. All the best for the season.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Fair points. Sorry to hear about the willy, but that's not symptomatic of the fanbase in general.

Padded seats are better for the buttocks so there's that.

Safe standing will improve the atmosphere of course, and I'm glad you like the ground.

albionite

May 20, 2009
The queues for the train was worse than normal, not sure why. Usually wait no more than 15mins.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I've never quite seen the issue with the trains, I've been Upton Park and Stamford Bridge a few times too and getting the tube is absolutely rammed and takes a little bit of time.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've never quite seen the issue with the trains, I've been Upton Park and Stamford Bridge a few times too and getting the tube is absolutely rammed and takes a little bit of time.
Getting away from many football grounds is an issue. I think our travel arrangements stack up pretty well.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Getting away from many football grounds is an issue. I think our travel arrangements stack up pretty well.

Travel arrangements are around the one thing that has improved since day one and now works as best as it can.

If you seriously cannot queue up then the Amex is not for you or remain behind for a few pints.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I love the football day at the Amex, its either a free bus into town a couple of pints with mates at the Lord Nelson then a free train on to Falmer or a couple of pints and grub at the Open House then a free train to the Amex.......and the reverse on the way home. Its bloody brilliant.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I love the football day at the Amex, its either a free bus into town a couple of pints with mates at the Lord Nelson then a free train on to Falmer or a couple of pints and grub at the Open House then a free train to the Amex.......and the reverse on the way home. Its bloody brilliant.

The difference I find from Withdean to the Amex is that as it so much more superior it feels like an event as opposed to a chore.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The difference I find from Withdean to the Amex is that as it so much more superior it feels like an event as opposed to a chore.
Oh yeah, the buzz is brilliant. I have to drag myself away after matches, the Amex is epic!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you seriously cannot queue up then the Amex is not for you
Or any other event with more than 20,000 spectators, anywhere in the country.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Rainham End, how come you didn't visit us for the Gills cup game a couple of seasons back?

Glad you enjoyed your day out at a decent stadium with the fine people of Sussex.

rainhamend

Aug 8, 2013
All fair points regarding transport/ queuing, as I said in my post it's to be expected at any football game, I just heard it wasn't as bad as it was (heard a few people saying that they didn't put the buses on for the match so that might be why)
bn9: Was abroad when we played you in the League Cup, gutted I missed it as it was just after the Amex opened. Good to see it for the first time as a finished article though, with the extra tiers and filled corners

I do believe people pay good money to view a mans todger in certain places in Brighton - so consider it a freebie and a positive!:mad:

rainhamend

Aug 8, 2013
Quick question, at half time, do they let you out for a smoke? Saw people being let out the turnstiles

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
All fair points regarding transport/ queuing, as I said in my post it's to be expected at any football game, I just heard it wasn't as bad as it was (heard a few people saying that they didn't put the buses on for the match so that might be why)
bn9: Was abroad when we played you in the League Cup, gutted I missed it as it was just after the Amex opened. Good to see it for the first time as a finished article though, with the extra tiers and filled corners
It is a stunning stadium, and agree it looks better with the corners filled in.
I have close family in Rainham (Gills fans) and one of them said the North Stand didn't look finished when he ccame down for the cup game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Quick question, at half time, do they let you out for a smoke? Saw people being let out the turnstiles

There are always a few who leave early so they don't get stuck in a queue for the bus or train :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here