Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to Stop These Absurd Pretendances – Now!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
When the 26,000 "official attendance" figure was announced yesterday, any of the usual polite clapping in the East stand was drowned out immediately by loud, raucous laughter.

What's wrong with the truth? Has the Amex been transported to North Korea? I half expected to see a giant picture of the Dear Leader, Kim Il Bloom, made up of a card display from the West Stand Upper. Followed by PA assurances that there had in fact been no rain, the Amex sky was blue and the Albion had won the Champions League.

This has got beyond a joke. Doesn't matter whether other clubs do it. Leave the accountants to worry about ticket revenue. The fans are only going to be interested in one figure: how big is today's crowd?

When the 26,000 "official attendance" figure was announced yesterday, any of the usual polite clapping in the East stand was drowned out immediately by loud, raucous laughter.

What's wrong with the truth? Has the Amex been transported to North Korea? I half expected to see a giant picture of the Dear Leader, Kim Il Bloom, made up of a card display from the West Stand Upper. Followed by PA assurances that there had in fact been no rain, the Amex sky was blue and the Albion had won the Champions League.

This has got beyond a joke. Doesn't matter whether other clubs do it. Leave the accountants to worry about ticket revenue. The fans are only going to be interested in one figure: how big is today's crowd?

The only figure I'm interested in is the one next to BHA denoting goals.

But each to their own I suppose.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Not sure why you care about either figure really.
Simple. Historically, crowds at football matches have always been reported, as one of the game's essential statistics. If these are now to be lost in a web of distortion and manipulation, this will be yet another indication of how money, rather than people, is all that matters in the modern game.

The Club monitor the precise time that every ticket is clocked through the turnstiles. The exact figure is therefore readily available, certainly during the game.

For some games, the figures have been supplied to the City Council - as part of the monitoring of the transport management plan. Maybe a Freedom of Information request to the Council would get a result?

The only figure I'm interested in is the one next to BHA denoting goals.

But each to their own I suppose.

Same here. Not so much different to books/records being judged on advance orders rather than actual sales. Surely if you wanted to fiddle anything you would go back to paying cash at the turnstile and mysteriously disconnecting a few of the counters?

On another note the attendance figure yesterday was around 1500 more than the equivalent Bank Holiday weekend fixture last year which I also had the privilege of attending.

I still argue that the way they publish attendances in Italy is what is wanted.

Separate figures for:-
1) season tickets sold (and the total value, in euros, of those tickets, divided by the number of games that they cover);
2) tickets sold for the particular match (and the average price paid / total income received for those tickets, after taking discounts, concessions and complimentaries into account).

I'm sure these figures are gathered by English Clubs as well. Especially with FFP kicking in.

The end result is, of course, still only a "tickets sold" figure. But every club would be using the same accounting principles.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We still only have a hardcore 8-10k support can't inflate those figures.
Right, ok,..... if you cant say anything sensible, don't say anything at all.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Pretty much every club does this now when they announce attendances so I don't know why people get so bothered about it.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Do you mean pretensions?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
At Withdean they counted the numbers through the turnstiles , now we have to accept the figures as STH's , away fans + matchday tickets sold

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
It is not meaningless. It reflects the number of tickets sold for the game.

Which is of far greater importance to the club than the actual number using those tickets.

My brother and I felt a little like 'Billy no Mates' yesterday - empty seats either side of us and empty in front and behind us!! Not seen that many empty seats around us since the Amex opened!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty much every club does this now when they announce attendances so I don't know why people get so bothered about it.
Because with accurate attendance, nice food, and no queues (for anything EVER) there would be nothing to moan about.

We couldn't have that now could we.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here