Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4 Pint Limit?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Went to the East Lower after the game yesterday for our usual post-match pint whilst the P&R queues go down, and I asked for 5 pints of lager, at which point the following conversation took place............

Me: 5 pints of fosters please
Server: I'm sorry I'm not allowed to give you more than 4
Me: Okay then, can I have 3 and my mate here have 2
Server: Yes, that's fine

At which point I paid for 5 pints

Weird :facepalm:

But has that rule always been in place?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The rule in place should be not serving Fosters

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
It was in place for the England U19 game a couple of years back, which is the only time I've tried getting more than 4 drinks, as I was with a group from work, and I was the only one with a card to get discount. They were quite happy to sell me 4 drinks, and then sell me 3 more directly after, which makes a bit of a mockery of the rule.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Went to the East Lower after the game yesterday for our usual post-match pint whilst the P&R queues go down, and I asked for 5 pints of lager, at which point the following conversation took place............

Me: 5 pints of fosters please
Server: I'm sorry I'm not allowed to give you more than 4
Me: Okay then, can I have 3 and my mate here have 2
Server: Yes, that's fine

At which point I paid for 5 pints

Weird :facepalm:

But has that rule always been in place?

No idea but it's the same at the Oval and Old Trafford (cricket). Perhaps it's a new law for sporting venues selling alcohol?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Good selling technique, as they sold one more pint than the original order. :wink:

Eh?

It reminds me of McDonald's. When I used to frequent that establishment in my younger years, I often wanted 15 nuggets. I'd ask for 15 nuggets and the reply invariably would be 'we don't sell 15 nuggets.' To which I'd reply 'Well in that case can I have 9 and 6 please?' After a moment's consideration, the answer would be 'yes, we can do that.' :ffsparr:

Extraordinary.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Eh?

It reminds me of McDonald's. When I used to frequent that establishment in my younger years, I often wanted 15 nuggets. I'd ask for 15 nuggets and the reply invariably would be 'we don't sell 15 nuggets.' To which I'd reply 'Well in that case can I have 9 and 6 please?' After a moment's consideration, the answer would be 'yes, we can do that.' :ffsparr:

Extraordinary.

Another McDonald's story. I like their old quarter-pounder, but didn't like the fact that if I ordered one they'd reach round and pulled one off the pass that might have been there for 15 minutes. Solution? I ordered a quarter-pounder cheeseburger with no cheese, which made it a "special order" that they cooked fresh. Worked every time!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Eh?

Extraordinary.

I had the same in Clinton Cards. Asked for twelve first class stamps and got told sorry they only had books of six :moo:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Stupid rule. At the County Ground they are a bit more generous - Its eight pints there.

The other idiotic rule is where stewards at some grounds will only let you in the ground with a plastic bottle if you hand over the bottle top - Without considering that most people will just shove a spare bottle top in their pockets?!

I remember a happy hour promotion at the County Ground. A pint of Oranjeboom for the price of a half. The guy in front of me in the queue only wanted a half, but was told that there were only pints available. "I don't want a pint, just a half". "Well ... I'm going to pour you a pint, charge you for a half, and you can pour away what you don't want to drink".

Whoever imagines that the customer is always right is moving in different circles.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
You can't really blame the staff for it. If they're told they can only serve 4 pints per person then that's what they'll do.

If you then turn up with a mate & ask for 3 & 2 respectively, then everyone's happy. You get your beers, she doesn't get in trouble. It might not seem entirely logical but the result is the same, so why worry?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I suppose it could be to stop people stockpiling while the discount is at it's highest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here