Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone seen Cloud Atlas or Life of Pi ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone seen Cloud Atlas or Life of Pi ?

I am going to purchase one of these to watch tonight with my Birthday money.

Reviews please as they are of interest.

Thanks.

US 51.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Pi for the joyous story and cinematography, Cloud Atlas for the cast and twisty stories. Both very enjoyable. Tricky one.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cloud Atlas sounds my cup of tea.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I watched Cloud Atlas on a plane this summer. I enjoyed it, for the most part. You will need to watch it twice (I need to see it again) as it is very confusing - I knew nothing about it prior to watching, and barely noticed that several of the actors had multiple parts. It is very long, but all 'came together' and made sense towards the end. It's well acted and directed - beautiful to watch at times.

Watching on a tiny screen with hard to understand headphones while jet-lagged probably wasn't ideal.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Life of PI as a film may have been good, but my God reading the book was like pulling teeth

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Can't agree with this, I loved the book. I haven't seen the film yet though.

Totally agree. The book was fantastic. I haven't seen the film either.

Cloud atlas the book was also brilliant. Although the film was really enjoyable the book was much better.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I much preferred cloud atlas to life of pi. Pi was decent enough, but for me it relied more on visuals (which were admittedly very good), but atlas was better.

However, pi's reviews seemed to generally be middling (decent to good), atlas's were more mixed (some loved some hated).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I found Life of Pi visually stunning but very boring.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have seen both, I have to say that Cloud Atlas has the edge for me. Some of it is very harrowing and it can seem complicated but all the strands get pulled together and it really works. It's a Sci fi but on another level as quite a bit is not Sci fi. I'm not sure but I think I posted a review of at least one, possibly both on the 2013 film thread

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Absolutely, hence the book i felt it never really got going at any stage, I was waiting and waiting for the big moment as it were that just never arrived.

I kept going and going thinking something will happen in a minute I have heard such good things.. but sadly not.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Cloud atlas isn't a bad film, requires you to pay attention though or it wont ever make sense.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

I would agree with that but it is not a film I would watch again. When we came out of the cinema, I said to my friend that it was either rubbish or a classic, but couldn't decide which!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Have not seen Life of Pi, but it is one of those books that you have to work out for yourself what it was all about, so many people's interpretation of it will be different. Am not sure how you would translate that to a film really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here