Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts so far on our football this season?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
OK so with injuries and all the changes it's been a tough introduction to Championship football for Oscar but how are you enjoying what you are seeing on the field.

I have really enjoyed the change in emphasis to taking the game to the opposition. I often felt Gus paid too much respect to our opponents by setting up to keep the ball and not really going for it often enough, hoping to pick other teams off. I think we'll lose some games, especially away from home, that we may have drawn last season but I think we'll take some teams apart when we click and win or lose some high scoring games with few draws.

Seems like we are not going to be happy with sitting back until we have at least a two goal cushion, was a bit disappointed we didn't try and score more when Burnley went down to 10 men though.

What struck me as a really positive move at Birmingham was that Oscar definitely set out to win that game, it was a very risky decision as 3 defeats would have ramped up the pressure. I feel Gus may have been happy to stop the rot if we'd suffered two defeats and would have had us sitting deep, biting our nails, once we took the lead. I haven't experienced the same frustration, so far, in the way we play as we haven't tried to sit on leads. This has probably cost us though?Under Gus we may have got something from the Leeds and Derby games.

Can we just discuss the football on this thread and avoid any comments re Gus that have nothing to do with what we see on the pitch. Slim chance but worth a try :smile:

Anyway your thoughts on how you are enjoying the season so far?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
OK so with injuries and all the changes it's been a tough introduction to Championship football for Oscar but how are you enjoying what you are seeing on the field.

I have really enjoyed the change in emphasis to taking the game to the opposition. I often felt Gus paid too much respect to our opponents by setting up to keep the ball and not really going for it often enough, hoping to pick other teams off. I think we'll lose some games, especially away from home, that we may have drawn last season but I think we'll take some teams apart when we click and win or lose some high scoring games with few draws.

Seems like we are not going to be happy with sitting back until we have at least a two goal cushion, was a bit disappointed we didn't try and score more when Burnley went down to 10 men though.

What struck me as a really positive move at Birmingham was that Oscar definitely set out to win that game, it was a very risky decision as 3 defeats would have ramped up the pressure. I feel Gus may have been happy to stop the rot if we'd suffered two defeats and would have had us sitting deep, biting our nails, once we took the lead. I haven't experienced the same frustration, so far, in the way we play as we haven't tried to sit on leads. This has probably cost us though?Under Gus we may have got something from the Leeds and Derby games.

Can we just discuss the football on this thread and avoid any comments re Gus that have nothing to do with what we see on the pitch. Slim chance but worth a try :smile:

Anyway your thoughts on how you are enjoying the season so far?

Loving the positivity. Loving our defenders looking to pass offensively as early as they can. Loving seeing our midfield pressing the opposition very high up the field. Loving the new signings. Loving Leo's form. Safe to say I'm loving it.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Last season I dreaded it when the opposition team scored as you knew we would be extremely lucky to see one goal let alone two. We look a real threat this season and mixing attacking styles is bringing the best out of our attacking players. Ulloa looks twice the player this season and is revelling in a mixture of passing football and the odd direct ball up to him. Others are starting to express themselves (Buckleys sublime flick and turn late in the second half) and the whole squad seems to be enjoying the freedom.

Considering our injury list I am extremely positive this season and have really enjoyed watching us so far.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
First game of the season for me yesterday and as stated given the injury list I thought we looked excellent however Burnley were hardly inspiring to say the least.

Really looking forward to seeing Orlandi playing again and Spanish Dave (the slow burner) hitting the form he had last season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I really enjoyed it yesterday, I thought as the game went on Burnley became less effective as Oscar made small adjustments from the sideline.

You can see its work in progress but the flashes of when it all comes together look really promising. There's more emphasis on moving the ball through the middle rather than the constant passing along the back four then out to the wings under Gus.

Also when we do pass across the back four its quicker and the back four are looking to move up towards the half way line as they do it to press up and play a higher line.

Look more vulnerable when teams break on us though but I suppose thats the risk you take when looking to take the game to the opposition.

We'll lose a few more this year but we'll win more as well imo. This should hopefully translate into more points over all.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
That's the most excited I've been, watching Albion, for quite a while. It seems like Gus's tactics but on speed. It's great to see the youngsters improving... apart from Leo, Ince was MOM for me. Fabby times ahead with a few disappointments in between.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That's the most excited I've been, watching Albion, for quite a while. It seems like Gus's tactics but on speed. It's great to see the youngsters improving... apart from Leo, Ince was MOM for me. Fabby times ahead with a few disappointments in between.

Yeah, we all commented in our area that Ince should get MOM, with Ulloa a close second. Then Leo scored the second goal and sealed it for himself.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think the media have picked up on the fact that we have 7 first team players out injured. The fact that we are winning games is testimony in itself.
There's a lot more to come, and I don't mean injuries. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season now, whereas three weeks ago, I had almost lost my mojo.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The main difference so far is that Oscar is prepared to blood youngsters and this brings vitality and playing without fear to a team, of course there is a higher risk of mistakes but fans just love to see young players bursting onto the scene and the players out injured also will know that they will have to win their places back, even Bridcutt and Orlandi! Good times ahead. Garcia will make his mark but Poyet's legacy is there for all to see.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
I like the way we are getting more midfielders further up in support of the front men. Ulloa is far less isolated than he was last season. Crofts 2 in 2 is a testament to this change of style.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm hoping that the home defeat to Newport County did us a massive favour. No midweek distractions of cup ties for a competition we're never going to win this season. All means Oscar has all week for coaching his new ideas into the players without disruptions of preparing for cup ties, travel to away grounds. Very happy we went out early-there's always the FA Cup.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Be interesting when bridders is fit, if he is a shoe in with ince playing so well in his position....

Overall, decent start, play some excellent passing stuff...which again is a hangover from Gus's style but I think Oscar tries to just speed it up a smidge. Not convinced with our two wingers yet...didn't think buckey had the best of games, went missing yesterday, however I still don't think he is fully fit, but in kaz, I was very disappointed. He is not the player we remember

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Be interesting when bridders is fit, if he is a shoe in with ince playing so well in his position....

Overall, decent start, play some excellent passing stuff...which again is a hangover from Gus's style but I think Oscar tries to just speed it up a smidge. Not convinced with our two wingers yet...didn't think buckey had the best of games, went missing yesterday, however I still don't think he is fully fit, but in kaz, I was very disappointed. He is not the player we remember

Kaz is a shadow of the player he was, lost the plot totally and no idea why.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Kaz doesn't want to be here, its so obvious.
Hopefully he will get a move away from here and we can bring someone in that wants to be here and wants to wear the shirt.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kaz doesn't want to be here, its so obvious.
Hopefully he will get a move away from here and we can bring someone in that wants to be here and wants to wear the shirt.
If only KLL goes we won't get anybody else, as we don't need them.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Too much too young and thinks he is better than he really is?

Seems a common problem with a lot of younger players that are not "brought up" properly in a football club. Some clubs do it and some don't. I think Newcastle was not good for Kaz. I can see him going if we get a good offer. It's a shame, as he was electric when he first came and even last season, was a great impact sub. Now he seems to be a sub without impact :(

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The tempo is definitely quicker, and there have been one or two moves which have been absolutely sublime. It's a higher risk strategy at the moment, and all the more refreshing for it.

OG seems to have a fluid style to his coaching, giving the team a number of options from which to choose as to how they move the ball forward. Also we have appeared to have learnt from the early mistakes in the opening three games. It wasn't pretty towards the end yesterday but we totally closed the game out yesterday and avoided letting an undeserving Burnley the chance to get back into it. It was a far less sloppy performance and represented a nice step forward from the Birmingham game.

All in all very impressed so far. Still a long way to go before it all really clicks into place, as the current players need to pick it up and then there is possibility of slotting new players into the system later on.

I think we are running at about 60-70% of our potential at the moment, and I can be patient whilst we try and get that percentage up.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Firstly, I think we can still see aspects of the possession football that i have thoroughly enjoyed over the last three seasons, but Oscar does seem to have speeded it up and introduced more longish balls making us more offensive. If anything, i think it has highlighted our predictability over the last 3 seasons.

Still very much a work in progress and early days but I think Ulloa has benefited from this whilst Spanish Dave may not. There have been a few times where the passing and movement have been excellent (and quick !). Nice to see some youngsters getting a chance.

I suspect that CMS will love it when he is back but i wonder whether Bridcutt will be quite as effective. I still think he will be important to us but maybe not as critical as the last couple of seasons. This could be a good thing, because teams got wise to us and when they shut down Bridcutt we struggled.

I think Ince's style play is a good indicator of how we are changing. He never seems to be completely in control, but is winning the ball and beating players. I'm struggling to tell what he is going to do, he gives the impression he doesn't know so how the hell the opposition is supposed to guess.

Summary - Loving it

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I always stated we had to be patient The club is happier and moving forwards and it is beginning to show.
Our midfield seems stronger and we have Bridders and Andrews as well.
The only position that needs a bit of attention is LW, with Ward not getting as far forward as Bridge did, we need Orlandi or an interested KLL.
Another striker would be good as Hoskins looks out for the season.
A fit Ulloa is essential, and hopefully CMS will come back strong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here