Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Expensive signings.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Everything is relative and for championship football £2 million is a hell of a lot.
I have a genuine question, how many championship teams have spent more than £1.5 mil in the last 2 seasons ?

I believe we are incredibly lucky to have Leo.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Everything is relative and for championship football £2 million is a hell of a lot.
I have a genuine question, how many championship teams have spent more than £1.5 mil in the last 2 seasons ?

I believe we are incredibly lucky to have Leo.

Lucky? We scouted him, we bid for him, we negotiated terms and we signed him. Not lucky, the result of hard work and cold cash.

Partly the reason we can't splash out on another player because £2million is a lot for us, and for this league. Well, our subsection of the league without parachute payments.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I didn't mean lucky as in we didn't deserve him or hadn't earned. My point was that lucky to be able to afford him.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I didn't mean lucky as in we didn't deserve him or hadn't earned. My point was that lucky to be able to afford him.

And that is just as daft, isn't it? What was our average gate last season? We generate big turnover, it might be a low margin of profit but we're generating plenty enough for one or two signings like Ulloa, well spaced out though. January might see a similar sized investment, if we're close to the top 6 but not quite there just yet. If the right man is available.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
And that is just as daft, isn't it? What was our average gate last season? We generate big turnover, it might be a low margin of profit but we're generating plenty enough for one or two signings like Ulloa, well spaced out though. January might see a similar sized investment, if we're close to the top 6 but not quite there just yet. If the right man is available.

I certainly don't know how Middlesbrough can bid serious money for McCormack. They have shocking gates.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I certainly don't know how Middlesbrough can bid serious money for McCormack. They have shocking gates.

Does make you wonder how much other clubs are thinking about FFP, and if we're perhaps over playing that hand a little bit. I am 100% behind FFP though, even if it wasn't being introduced, I would support it at our club.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would think most Champ clubs spent more last season. This season FFP means everyone SHOULD be spending less. If we control wages and keep them lower than most clubs we can afford these kind of deals

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some rumours going round at the moment that Blackburn may need to sell Rhodes, as their only saleable asset (big wages too).

Could just be Burnley fans making mischief I guess.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
At £2million Leo represents incredible value for money and if we were lucky enough to go up in his time here he would easily hold his own in the premier league

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Transfers for £1m+ this window:

- Wigan have signed McClean and Holt for £2m and £2.5m roughly
- QPR have bought Karl Henry for £1m, Austin for £4m and Matty Phillips for £5m
- Bolton have signed Spearing for over £1m
- Forest have signed Mackie for over a million, Kelvin Wilson for £2.5m and Abdoun for just under £2m
- Leeds signed Murphy for £1m

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Transfers for £1m+ this window:

- Wigan have signed McClean and Holt for £2m and £2.5m roughly
- QPR have bought Karl Henry for £1m, Austin for £4m and Matty Phillips for £5m
- Bolton have signed Spearing for over £1m
- Forest have signed Mackie for over a million, Kelvin Wilson for £2.5m and Abdoun for just under £2m
- Leeds signed Murphy for £1m
Jamie Paterson for potentially up to £1m as well.

Apr 12, 2011
He probably could, but the whole idea of what the club is doing is to get us in a position where we are self sufficient and don't have to keep relying on donations from Mr Bloom.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, they've had an extraordinarily lucrative sponsorship deal from ...... one of their owner's companies

Fine, points deduction and refuse inevitable promotion. Should be the outcome.

So what s the point of FFP

It is the right thing and the right path for football to follow. There are always clubs like Forest prepared to sacrifice reality, makes them wrong. Not FFP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here