Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What have Palace done with their money?

Albion Rob

I don't know but am assuming it hasn't been invested into any decent players. I watched them lose to a very poor Stoke team on my laptop yesterday (with Albion commentary from Seagulls player, which was odd at times but fun) and I believe that anyone who finishes below Stoke this season will be relegated.

Dec 29, 2011
How much is it worth being promoted to the Premiership? It must be a pretty penny so where have Palace spent all those millions? Has most of it been used for clearing their debts?

It's quoted at around £120M. This includes prize money for position finished as well as parachute payments. It's likely Palace haven't seen much of the £120M, and spending £10M on transfers (plus wage increases) would represent a hefty chunk of money they currently have.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I thought they were reasonably debt free after their latest Administration?

If they have any sense whatsoever, they will use some of it to upgrade the stadium and put the rest in the bank. Wurzel is panicking already, so don't give it to him!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Palace are doing the right thing by upgrading what they can for the future and using the money sensibly not spending too much on players.

Buying their training ground was a wise investment. I would suggest there will be a lot of behind the scenes investment. Little upgrades such as new TV gantry. Hopefully money will be used to develop Selhurst for supporters.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
odd isnt it after all the billy big balls bragging that they havent seemingly spent any of this fortune. iir, the clubs get their money in three tranches with one at the beginning of the season (i may have invented this in my head, though sure i've seen it somewhere). even if not, the owners or even a bank would shirley loan on such a promise. i wasnt expecting them to spend an awful lot, they'd hedge their bets with a few "names" and spend on their delapidated stadium. no announcment on that either though.

on the other hand though, i dont think there's been many doing alot of big £ business other than Spurs this window.

Dec 29, 2011
odd isnt it after all the billy big balls bragging that they havent seemingly spent any of this fortune. iir, the clubs get their money in three tranches with one at the beginning of the season (i may have invented this in my head, though sure i've seen it somewhere). even if not, the owners or even a bank would shirley loan on such a promise. i wasnt expecting them to spend an awful lot, they'd hedge their bets with a few "names" and spend on their delapidated stadium. no announcment on that either though.

on the other hand though, i dont think there's been many doing alot of big £ business other than Spurs this window.

Man City and Chelski too

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Inside word is, that money is in short supply and they had to wait for the 1st payment of cash from the PL before any major outlays (hence the rush and last min. upgrades in the ground).

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
Not sure if it has happened yet, but one area where the PL had told them that an immediate improvement that was needed was in the press facilities to bring them up to the standard that the PL require. So that would probably be a couple of million going on something nothing to do with team strengthening

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My guess is Zaha money being used for transfers and PL money being put aside for future. Seems sensible to me

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
My guess is Zaha money being used for transfers and PL money being put aside for future. Seems sensible to me

Is the correct answer.
Most of the stadium refurb money has come from the sponsorship from 12 Bet.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Even the Zaha money probably isn't all paid in one go anyway. It seems pretty standard for clubs to pay transfer fees in installments.

In some small way, I feel I should defend them here- if they were to go out and spank millions on players (and they'll struggle, as most of their targets don't want to sign for Crystal Palace), firstly it might disrupt the harmony of the team who did after all (somehow) get promotion last season. They were far from world beaters then, but presumably togetherness and spirit got them a long way. They're going to need that more than ever this time around, so buying a few star names who earn three times more than the rest do might not be a good thing. Then, assuming they did that, and get relegated anyway, they're left with a large wage bill and disaffected players who can't be arsed with the Championship. I know they can have contract clauses that allow them to leave on relegation, but you still have to find a buyer.

So it's probably reasonable for them to tread cautiously. I don't think they actually wanted to be THIS cautious, but may not have a lot of choice. All this "£120 million" is, to a degree, hype anyway, as the Premier League don't just drop that money in cash round to your ground once you get promoted.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
And, once they do get relegated, they'll probably be in a very strong position, having been cautious, to make a bid for promotion again straight away, having spent/saved wisely.

The buggers.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
All of the 120 million pounds should be used to pay the poor b*stards whose livelihoods were brought to their knees at best by Palaces' 2 previous administrations. That wouldn't leave 'em much now would it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
All of the 120 million pounds should be used to pay the poor b*stards whose livelihoods were brought to their knees at best by Palaces' 2 previous administrations. That wouldn't leave 'em much now would it?

Are you confusing them with Pompey? Even Palace didn't rack up quite that much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Even the Zaha money probably isn't all paid in one go anyway. It seems pretty standard for clubs to pay transfer fees in installments.

In some small way, I feel I should defend them here- if they were to go out and spank millions on players (and they'll struggle, as most of their targets don't want to sign for Crystal Palace), firstly it might disrupt the harmony of the team who did after all (somehow) get promotion last season. They were far from world beaters then, but presumably togetherness and spirit got them a long way. They're going to need that more than ever this time around, so buying a few star names who earn three times more than the rest do might not be a good thing. Then, assuming they did that, and get relegated anyway, they're left with a large wage bill and disaffected players who can't be arsed with the Championship. I know they can have contract clauses that allow them to leave on relegation, but you still have to find a buyer.

So it's probably reasonable for them to tread cautiously. I don't think they actually wanted to be THIS cautious, but may not have a lot of choice. All this "£120 million" is, to a degree, hype anyway, as the Premier League don't just drop that money in cash round to your ground once you get promoted.

Way to reasonable........ and sadly likely to be correct, still if we can keep improving maybe we'll pass them, we can but hope.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
edna krabappel; So it's probably reasonable for them to tread cautiously. I don't think they actually wanted to be THIS cautious said:
The £120 mill isn't hype though.
If we finish last, we will receive £63 mill.
This is followed by parachute payments of £15 mill for the first season,£17 mill for the second, followed by Two further payments of £8 million , making a grand total of £48 million.
Add to this increased revenue from sponsorship,attendances etc, and at least £6 mill from live tv and overseas royalties, it won't be far off.

Dec 29, 2011
The £120 mill isn't hype though.
If we finish last, we will receive £63 mill.
This is followed by parachute payments of £15 mill for the first season,£17 mill for the second, followed by Two further payments of £8 million , making a grand total of £48 million.
Add to this increased revenue from sponsorship,attendances etc, and at least £6 mill from live tv and overseas royalties, it won't be far off.

:facepalm:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
£ 150,000,000 was the pot for each club last season promoted to the PL
But it's in dribs and drabs for want of a better way of putting it !
Not exactly sure how the system works but they definitely don't get it all in one hit.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here