• No

Votes: 29 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

briref

Aug 12, 2008
I think, like 26,000 others he was a goner,

Can not wait till see the replay!

Any one out there think the ref got the call right?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The first one was a straight red in my mind as it was a proffesionsl foul that denied a clear goal scoring opportunity. the second yellow seemed to be the ref making amends.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
We will have to wait to see the replays, but I suspect the keeper wasn't the last man....

There was a defender in line with play, but the other side of Heaton. Buckley took it in the opposite direction, it would have taken some serious heroics for him to have stopped Buckley scoring. This is, however, the only reason I can think the referee went with a yellow.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We will have to wait to see the replays, but I suspect the keeper wasn't the last man....

I think that was the case as well. We'll see from the replay though. Either way, he went in the end. With or without the red card we won with ease.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Thought (deliberately) denying a clear goal scoring opportunity was a red? Seeing as how it was the keeper I see no way in which it was not a clear chance the defender was not going to make it back

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Watched the highlights after the game in the concourse and it was more debatable then it looked live. The defender was getting back - I think Buckley would have scored and the keeper taking out Buckley was incredibly blatant.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Defender being the last man doesn't matter. If a defender brings down a forward with only the keeper behind him it's a red for a professional foul. In this case the keeper took the role of the defender in making the foul.

As blatant a red as you can see.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
and the second yellow was for trying to get Buckley sent off, throwing the ball in the air as Buckley went past him to make it look like he had been nudged...I wonder what words had been said between the two between incidents!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought the goalkeeper had taken the ball out of the area for the second booking, but the footage (what footage that was available in the replay in the concourse) suggested not, and the official reason seemed to be 'unsporting behaviour.'

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
Defender being the last man doesn't matter. If a defender brings down a forward with only the keeper behind him it's a red for a professional foul. In this case the keeper took the role of the defender in making the foul.

As blatant a red as you can see.
Excellent point.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There was a defender in line with play, but the other side of Heaton. Buckley took it in the opposite direction, it would have taken some serious heroics for him to have stopped Buckley scoring. This is, however, the only reason I can think the referee went with a yellow.

I watched the highlights in the club shop. The defender was square with the keeper but not ahead of him. The ref may have had a view from an angle that the defender seemed ahead, but he should have consulted his linesman. He went straight for his shorts pocket where the yellow card is with no hesitation.
In my opinion Buckley was denied a goal scoring opportunity so it should have been red.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The only slight doubt was whether Buckley was going away from goal but looked a straight red to me.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It was the most blatant sending off I've seen in a long time. The ref was very lucky that he was given an opportunity to make up for the decision.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I was right inline, should have been sent off. It was obviously a goal scoring opportunity and the defender wasn't getting there. The genuine reaction if the players indicates the ref had a brain derp. I hope the second decision was actually correct, because I hate biased decisions to make amends for mistakes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here