Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is it with fairy lights on cars ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It started with Audis which are normally driven by knobs* so wasn't a real surprise. Then, horror of horrors, they put them on Jags, so i can never drive one again, and this morning i got followed by a Kia with them.

Can we please go back to proper headlights.

*(Before anyone gets all precious, i've owned one as well)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It started with Audis which are normally driven by knobs* so wasn't a real surprise. Then, horror of horrors, they put them on Jags, so i can never drive one again, and this morning i got followed by a Kia with them.

Can we please go back to proper headlights.

*(Before anyone gets all precious, i've owned one as well)
Bet you need a long extention lead for fairy lights on cars!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a fan either, Citroens also have them. I think it's de rigueur for new cars now as they are considered quite cool it seems. All the other manufactures take their lead from class winners like Audi. In fact de badge cars these days and I'd struggle to know what make they are as they all look so similar in their class.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Not a fan either, Citroens also have them. I think it's de rigueur for new cars now as they are considered quite cool it seems. All the other manufactures take their lead from class winners like Audi. In fact de badge cars these days and I'd struggle to know what make they are as they all look so similar in their class.

Its an EU Directive for all new cars rather than a passing fashion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
It started with Audis which are normally driven by knobs* so wasn't a real surprise.

Audi, Seat, VW are all the same car these days, so your are excluding yourself from liking a whole lot of people.

IMO Audi's are solid tough cars, and not as flashy or status-y as a bmw.

what do you drive @Watford zero?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Audi, Seat, VW are all the same car these days, so your are excluding yourself from liking a whole lot of people.

IMO Audi's are solid tough cars, and not as flashy or status-y as a bmw.

what do you drive @Watford zero?

You're obviously incapable of maintaining concentration for four whole sentences.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
oh, ok - this is a "i drive a jag" type "look at me" type thread.....move along.

No the fourth sentence clearly stated that i have owned an Audi and then you reply telling me what a good car an Audi is. And at no point have i said that i currently drive a Jag. Is english your second language ?

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
They are only Fairy Lights in Brighton. For everywhere else they are LED's.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Slightly OT but has anyone else noticed quite a number of cars that appear to have 'eyelashes' fitted around the headlights? Where the hell has this craze come from seen 3-4 cars around county hospital in past few days with them. They look ridiculous btw :thumbsup:

True but they don't have to be fairy lights do they?

My car has daytime running lights but thankfully they're proper bulbs and not the audi-esque fairy lights. I've got a Golf mk.7.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Its an EU Directive for all new cars rather than a passing fashion...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

cant say im bothered by the idea of daytime lights, but why on earth did the EU see fit to specify they have to be specific, new lamps? whats wrong with just reusing the sidelight, a otherwise fairly pointless lamp on cars? this is the sort of rubbish we dont need from the EU.punish:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The downside is that bikers have been riding with lights on as a safety measure for years, now they will just blend in.

Bet the EU bureaucrats didn't think of that.

cant say im bothered by the idea of daytime lights, but why on earth did the EU see fit to specify they have to be specific, new lamps? whats wrong with just reusing the sidelight, a otherwise fairly pointless lamp on cars? this is the sort of rubbish we dont need from the EU.punish:

Did they? My Mk.7 uses the existing bulbs for the DRLs.

[yt]FEDiXuGugDY[/yt]

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Can't say I've got a problem with them. LEDs are more energy efficient than traditional bulbs, and they shine brighter. That said, I'm sure the reason they're only found on high-end Jags and Audis and Beamers is to justify increasing the price of new models.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here