Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another Triumph Of Common Sense

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Reading the thread of west stand lower upgrade charge ...

Reminded me of my experience of trying to park up in University car park at last game with my eighty year old cancer suffering dad.

Last season having contacted Lord B and being told it was ok (my dad has lung cancer and can't walk that far now) we parked in University car park five by the disabled bus and got the bus to the ground and back - my dad thoroughly enjoyed the two matches I took him to early last season via this transport - as I already have a University car park space season ticket, which I renewed this season

However re the derby game - we again tried to get to the ground this way - BUT we now have a new firm of University car park stewards - motto being whatever happened last two years never happened as far as we are concerned

Suffice to say we were not allowed access into car park five die to lack of blue disabled sticker - though from looking at my dad would have been kind of obvious he needed help - and here is the best bit - despite car park three being empty told to car in car park one re the longest walk possible to ground

As the disabled bus is to best of my knowledge funded by AITC and Lord B had said we were ok to use this service - the stewards attitude was particularly commendable!

Still never mind I will just keep paying my AITC lottery direct debit

Yes we need to stop losing £8m a year, but surely common sense should some times over ride the "this is the rules gov" approach we now so often seem so proud to hide behind!!!
Rant over with

Suffice to say am not taking my dad today

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Reading the thread of west stand lower upgrade charge ...

Reminded me of my experience of trying to park up in University car park at last game with my eighty year old cancer suffering dad.

Last season having contacted Lord B and being told it was ok (my dad has lung cancer and can't walk that far now) we parked in University car park five by the disabled bus and got the bus to the ground and back - my dad thoroughly enjoyed the two matches I took him to early last season via this transport - as I already have a University car park space season ticket, which I renewed this season

However re the derby game - we again tried to get to the ground this way - BUT we now have a new firm of University car park stewards - motto being whatever happened last two years never happened as far as we are concerned

Suffice to say we were not allowed access into car park five die to lack of blue disabled sticker - though from looking at my dad would have been kind of obvious he needed help - and here is the best bit - despite car park three being empty told to car in car park one re the longest walk possible to ground

As the disabled bus is to best of my knowledge funded by AITC and Lord B had said we were ok to use this service - the stewards attitude was particularly commendable!

Still never mind I will just keep paying my AITC lottery direct debit

Yes we need to stop losing £8m a year, but surely common sense should some times over ride the "this is the rules gov" approach we now so often seem so proud to hide behind!!!
Rant over with

Suffice to say am not taking my dad today

Could you have dropped him off by the bus stop (or as close as you could get), parked the car in the right spot and walked back to him?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could you have dropped him off by the bus stop (or as close as you could get), parked the car in the right spot and walked back to him?

Come on. This is not the correct answer is it?

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
When coming back - we had to slowly walk to and from ground in the end - the stewards even tried to stop me from driving down to next to the zebra crossing to pick my dad up

Best bit is the club do not even fund the disabled buses - AITC do and were fine with us using them - but the club now employ car park stewards with the "rules is the rules" approach to life

As a general point I am sure cancer patients cannot get blue badges very often - but this does not exactly mean they are as fit and healthy as the rest of us - but they must be as "rules is rules" per our new stewards

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When coming back - we had to slowly walk to and from ground in the end - the stewards even tried to stop me from driving down to next to the zebra crossing to pick my dad up

Best bit is the club do not even fund the disabled buses - AITC do and were fine with us using them - but the club now employ car park stewards with the "rules is the rules" approach to life

As a general point I am sure cancer patients cannot get blue badges very often - but this does not exactly mean they are as fit and healthy as the rest of us - but they must be as "rules is rules" per our new stewards

Have you explained the circumstances to the club? I am sure that if you did, they would give you some sort of parking permit near the ground, or make some other arrangement for you?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Yes. Could you not do loop the loops and a pick up for me from south bucks first please? Selfish...

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Come on. This is not the correct answer is it?

This applies to so much that the club are doing and getting wrong at the moment. They have an extraordinarily loyal (as is the case with all football clubs) customer base who understand the commercial realities but at the same time will not be ripped off, financially abuse, patronised or lied to. If the club actually communicated and LISTENED to their paying customers before acting they could probably get most of the 'correct answers' in place and still achieve the profit income required. As each week passes another idea fails and alienates another group of fans. Those fans will keep coming to watch the team because they are fans but will be much more discretionary about where they spend their non ticket funds.

Sadly the club just don't get this.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Have you explained the circumstances to the club? I am sure that if you did, they would give you some sort of parking permit near the ground, or make some other arrangement for you?

That's the correct answer surely. Full sympathy for the OP and his Dad but stewards everywhere aren't exactly known for applying common sense. They're given a job and do it. The solution is to talk to the club in detail and explain what happened rather than complain about it on here. If it's a problem of which they're not even aware, how can they resolve it?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
That's the correct answer surely. Full sympathy for the OP and his Dad but stewards everywhere aren't exactly known for applying common sense. They're given a job and do it. The solution is to talk to the club in detail and explain what happened rather than complain about it on here. If it's a problem of which they're not even aware, how can they resolve it?

Exactly. By all means come and gripe if they do not do anything about it, but at least give them a chance! The Lower West Stand charging problems has been resolved and I am certain this would be too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here