Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton possession game this season?

bernster

Sep 5, 2012
ye olde east sussex
a bit to early to say for sure,but on the evidence so far,there seems to be a deliberate ploy to be more direct and to move the ball quicker than last year.if it all gels together we are going to see less draws a few more losses and more wins(hopefully).im looking forward to it. should be good viewing.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
One thing that is definitely different is the increased use of the raking 50 yd cross-field pass. Never used to happen under Poyet so they're definitely playing with their heads up more this season.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Less passing square at the back ovwr and over again. This should mean oppo are less able to press us as deep as they did last year. And also thay we get forward momentum more quickly. I saw promising signs v Derby.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I like the PIG knocking it out to either wing or up the middle, which makes for faster attacks. When everyone is comfortable with the new tactics we should be a force to be reckoned with :)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
There was a magnificent series of passes at Brum - 20 or 30 in our own half (not across the back 4), mostly 1 touch and fast, which had the Brum players running all over the place. We then quickly passed upfield and set up a scoring chance. It was fabulous.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Its early days, but the style is much more direct than under Poyet. After the Gus style, its still obvious the players are still learning the new style. It worked last Saturday, but we were aided by Birmingham being awful. Will it be a success? Time will tell.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
We still play the possession game but in a more attacking way imo. We look for the short pass but if a more direct attacking ball is on we will go for it. I prefer this style over passing backwards for the sake of it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As said some of the 1st half football we played at Brum was just as good as anything under Poyet and carried threat far more often that most away games under Poyet. Although not as fluent in the 2nd half and we were under the cosh for the 1st 10 mins but it was encouraging to see more bite in the midfield. Maybe we won't be the pushover in midfield against physical sides who close us down quickly now as we sometimes were last season. Even with the changes of manager, style and players I think we may be a more complete and physical team than we were at this stage last year.

We are playing a form team this afternoon so intrigued to see if we were flattering to deceive last week against a pretty poor team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No need for a bridcutt / Leon Britton in our style that's for sure
There's every need for LB.

Just no need for Hammond, Dicker and a 'holding' left winger in the same side.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Something must have clicked for the players in training last week, as our performance up at Birmingham was like chalk and cheese when compared with the mostly disjointed, hurried and (often) aimless stuff we saw vs Derby. The players were reading each others' movements better, Andrews and Agustien were dictating play in the middle (with both short and carefully lofted passes), and the football we played was generally a lot more fluid and attractive. There were a couple of passages of pass and move play that were as good as anything we produced under Gus.

Heard a Spanish football expert on a podcast the other week talking about Oscar and his preferred style/formation. 4-3-3 (durr), but most interestingly he likes to have a deep-lying playmaker dropping so deep as to almost fill in as a 3rd centre-back, helping to distribute the ball with accuracy and purpose. On Saturday that player was very clearly Keith Andrews, and although he's obviously no Andrea Pirlo, he carried out the role very capably. Noticed Liam did (or attempted to do) the same thing vs Villarreal.

Still too early to really say exactly how patient, direct or otherwise we are under Oscar but I agree with most of the observations in here. Certainly we seem to look for the early crossfield pass a little more frequently, whilst we also seem to commit more numbers when breaking forward (including regular interchanging of positions). Not seen much evidence of the high-energy pressing game yet, but that may come as fitness levels continue to improve.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
We're not particularly good at keeping it (yet) , but thought we were slightly better against Birmingham then we were against Derby - it's clear Oscars slowly working on something new slowly so quite looking forward to the next stage Today.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Heard a Spanish football expert on a podcast the other week talking about Oscar and his preferred style/formation. 4-3-3 (durr), but most interestingly he likes to have a deep-lying playmaker dropping so deep as to almost fill in as a 3rd centre-back, helping to distribute the ball with accuracy and purpose. On Saturday that player was very clearly Keith Andrews, and although he's obviously no Andrea Pirlo, he carried out the role very capably. Noticed Liam did (or attempted to do) the same thing vs Villarreal.

I didn't go to Brum but did notice against Villarael that Bridcutt was dropping much deeper and the full backs pushing on even further than under Poyet. When picking up the ball from the goalkeeper under GP we looked like a 2341...

Mackail-Smith
Orlandi Hammond Lopez Buckley
Bridge Bridcutt Calderon
El-Abd Greer
Kuszczak​

Whereas under OG the wingers push on much higher up and it becomes almost a 343...

Barnes Ulloa Buckley
Maksimenko Agustien Crofts Calderon
Upson Bridcutt Greer
Kuszczak​

It seems that if we get caught in possession in our own half we're more vulnerable, as we have three back rather than 5. However if we move the ball quicker through the lines, we have more numbers in support of the forwards so we can get it into feet and have runners off the striker, and it's not just CMS trying to control a forty yard ball pinged at his throat whilst getting mounted by Grant Hanley or Danny Shittu. Early signs are promising and it's still too early to really judge but you can definitely see the evolution of the GP tactics into OG's style.

At times the football the team played Under Poyet was the best I've ever seen at Brighton. Should it ever revert to the long ball system I'll get rid of my season ticket. It's still too early to predict how this season will turn out but don't expect the play offs.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
At times the football the team played Under Poyet was the best I've ever seen at Brighton. Should it ever revert to the long ball system I'll get rid of my season ticket. It's still too early to predict how this season will turn out but don't expect the play offs.

You must love your club a lot then. Were you there in the long ball Andy Whing hoof Nicky Adams withdean era?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here