Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I thought it was Americans who were **** at Geography

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Us Brits are getting there:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2398914/Half-Britons-holiday-Cyprus-MAP.html

Favourite bits
It's a good job most of us don’t need maps to reach European holiday destinations – as a third wouldn’t have a clue where to look.
When shown a map, 53 per cent of Britons booked to go to Cyprus thought it was part of mainland Greece while just under a half thought Turkey was in the Ukraine.
Almost a quarter of those off to Spain pointed to France while 14 per cent of people looking for French resorts gestured towards its tiny neighbour of Belgium.

A similar proportion confused Italy with Belarus and, incredibly, 24 per cent of holidaymakers booked up for Ireland identified Spain.

When people were asked where France was, 22 per cent thought it was Germany while 29 per cent thought it was Greece.

'Sake :facepalm:

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
well with all the gadgetry and tech we have, knowing your geography isn't really needed. it will soon be the R.E of school timetables.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Daily Mail readers

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
well with all the gadgetry and tech we have, knowing your geography isn't really needed. it will soon be the R.E of school timetables.

A lot of knowledge is, perhaps, unnecessary. But what about curiosity? Knowledge for its own sake?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
"When people were asked where France was, 22 per cent thought it was Germany"

Give the EU another few years and France will be Germany :lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Jade Goody was so bad at geography it was hilarious. And I seem to remember Sonya (remember her? Ginger, scouse, Stock Aitken Waterman puppet) getting asked on some kid's programme what the capital of Italy was around the same time as the 1990 World Cup there. Her answer - Spain.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Staggering.

I am supposed to be writing an essay, but this has prompted me to fish out sporcle and try their European test.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/europe

40, couldn't spell Lichtenstein & bosnia Herzegovena

Couldn't remember the name 'Albania'

didn't get
Moldova, san Marino, Montenegro & Kosova

Who says I'm a bit rusty on the newer Eastern European states?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I thought Bosnia was pronounced with a "z", spelling got me mostly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Staggering.

I am supposed to be writing an essay, but this has prompted me to fish out sporcle and try their European test.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/g/europe
34/47 but would have been better as I struggled with the spelling of some of the newer East Europeans and stubbornly kept typing Holland instead of "The Netherlands ", doh !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here