Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Abuse and NSC

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I regularly read and contribute on NSC. I did stop for a while because it seemed there were too many abusive posters on here, but soon realised I missed it because most folk were very intelligent and rational and made some very thought provoking posts.

It leads me to a question though. Of the small number who do make inciting and abusive remarks, but perhaps not enough to constitute a ban, what is their psychology? What is their reasoning behind a person attacking another for a view deemed different to theirs? I often wonder at posts that simply read ‘Idiot’ or ‘dickhead’ and try to understand the reasoning behind them. If someone, say, writes 'David Beckham is a knob', what do they expect to fulfil from such an inarticulate rant ?

It’s not something we’d do in normal life.

I think it's because I enjoy the forum so much that all this puzzles me.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
You might as well paint a target on your head ready for this lot to take a pot shot at you :thumbsup: I agree with what your saying though, problem is there is no reason with idiots so you can never understand their behaviour

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I regularly read and contribute on NSC. I did stop for a while because it seemed there were too many abusive posters on here, but soon realised I missed it because most folk were very intelligent and rational and made some very thought provoking posts.

It leads me to a question though. Of the small number who do make inciting and abusive remarks, but perhaps not enough to constitute a ban, what is their psychology? What is their reasoning behind a person attacking another for a view deemed different to theirs? I often wonder at posts that simply read ‘Idiot’ or ‘dickhead’ and try to understand the reasoning behind them. If someone, say, writes 'David Beckham is a knob', what do they expect to fulfil from such an inarticulate rant ?

You might as well paint a target on your head ready for this lot to take a pot shot at you :thumbsup: I agree with what your saying though, problem is there is no reason with idiots so you can never understand their behaviour

:tosser:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

Oh, I expected a few wanker signs, for sure !

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
i regularly read and contribute on nsc. I did stop for a while because it seemed there were too many abusive posters on here, but soon realised i missed it because most folk were very intelligent and rational and made some very thought provoking posts.

It leads me to a question though. Of the small number who do make inciting and abusive remarks, but perhaps not enough to constitute a ban, what is their psychology? What is their reasoning behind a person attacking another for a view deemed different to theirs? I often wonder at posts that simply read ‘idiot’ or ‘dickhead’ and try to understand the reasoning behind them. If someone, say, writes 'david beckham is a knob', what do they expect to fulfil from such an inarticulate rant ?

I think it's because i enjoy the forum so much that all this puzzles me.

baron pepperpot is a knob

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
many are in "football fan sweary mode" when on here.....hence abuse.

funny tho, imagining a human at a desk in a shirt and tie, maximising this after a meeting, then typing "your a pwoper knobend etc" then minimizing, back to excel and emailing reports.

that sort of life action is deep insanity and needs serious help.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

It's very obviously lately, that if you express any opinion on here that there will be what I would deem an abusive post in reply pretty quickly. It's certainly got worse. I think in real life, when people speak, you can just think "he an idiot" and ignore him, but the nature of the internet, everyone is basically on an equal footing - also, without the body language, it's not always obvious how people mean a comment to be taken - something tongue-in-cheek may not come across like that on the screen. Also, of course, hiding behind the digital wall, people say things they would never say face-to-face.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
People take offence over the Internet? Lol just ignore it, or just search for something else...

Aug 23, 2011
Can you give me your definition of 'knob' ?

Is it absolute ?

What can one do to cease being a 'knob' ?

A defintion of a "knob" is
knob (nb)
n.
1. A rounded protuberance.
a. A rounded handle, as on a drawer or door.
b. A rounded control switch or dial.
3. A prominent rounded hill or mountain.

so the common theme to these is a rounded appearance so perhaps people are suggesting you eat too many pies?

Or perhaps when they call you a "knob" its actually saying you have got a handle on things and you are in control?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
NSC has a huge range of posters. It covers all ages and social groups, so it isn't surprising there are sensible, rational types and shouty, sweary, abusive types. Pretty much like life really. I don't really understand the shouty sweary, abusive people (in life and on here) - chill out. Don't be a dick.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
NSC has a huge range of posters. It covers all ages and social groups, so it isn't surprising there are sensible, rational types and shouty, sweary, abusive types. Pretty much like life really. I don't really understand the shouty sweary, abusive people (in life and on here) - chill out. Don't be a dick.

I have been called a 'knob' and had an inference that I am being a 'dick'. Is my knobness causing this, or are they separate dispositions ?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
NSC has a huge range of posters. It covers all ages and social groups

I think because we all support the same team there's this idea we must have other things in common. We don't, we just support the same football team! It's a real cross-section of people, some of whom if we met in real life we'd really like, some of whom we wouldn't. There's gonna be a massive divergence of opinions etc - and people who are respectful and polite, and those who aren't. But there's a huge difference between disagreeing with someone and thinking they're an idiot, to actually being abusive.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I have been called a 'knob' and had an inference that I am being a 'dick'. Is my knobness causing this, or are they separate dispositions ?

If it's a regular occurrence (in life) then there's a chance you might be being a dick. If you try not to be a dick it's probable that people will not call you a knob so often.

However, you might be being called a knob by people who are being dicks themselves (regardless of your behaviour).

It's complicated.... :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
In my experience, it tends to be people who have very little responsibility or authority in real life who quickly turn to abuse. It's their only opportunity to express themselves. (Same as kids who cross a road very slowly in front of traffic to make it slow down).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here