Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IT'S OFFICIAL: Ashley Barnes is "a good player".

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Quote from Oscar in today's Arsegas: “He can play in different positions and offers mobility to our attack. He's a good player."

Not that I ever doubted our Ash, but some might care to remember this instead of verbally abusing our own players. Yes, including you, the bloke who sits behind me in WSL!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quote from Oscar in today's Arsegas: “He can play in different positions and offers mobility to our attack. He's a good player."

Not that I ever doubted our Ash, but some might care to remember this instead of verbally abusing our own players. Yes, including you, the bloke who sits behind me in WSL!

That's very true about Ash. It could be that Oscar is saying this now to ensure we get as much for him when he is poached by a Prem team next week.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

That's 2 managers in row that that have rated him... Coinicidence?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Carry on haters, you just make yourselves look ridiculous.

Says the person who just used the term "hater"...

Some people don't rate Ash as highly as others for perfectly valid reasons but that doesn't mean they are "haters" or ridiculous it just means they see something you dont.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I think that the tide (on here, anyway) is turning and the majority now rate our Ashley.
Course there's still the predictable muppets like somerset who hate him, but they're definitely in the minority.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hes a decent player, id still rather we had someone with a bit more pace playing that left side role.

Happy to have him in my 1st team squad :)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think that the tide (on here, anyway) is turning and the majority now rate our Ashley.
Course there's still the predictable muppets like somerset who hate him, but they're definitely in the minority.

Turning? It's *always* been the case ever since he joined that 70-80% of us rate him, but recognise his shortcomings. There is a rump of 20-30% who will never rate him, that's just the way it is. I think they're wrong but its a game of opinions isn't it.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
but some might care to remember this instead of verbally abusing our own players. Yes, including you, the bloke who sits behind me in WSL!

I'm sure there is some sort of brainwashing device in some seats, there were three to the right of us who left at the end of last season to be replaced by three supporters with the same attitude towards Ashley :facepalm:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Some people don't rate Ash as highly as others for perfectly valid reasons but that doesn't mean they are "haters" or ridiculous it just means they see something you dont.

I don't know, the chap in ESU who calls him a c**t every time he touches the ball, definately appears to hate him.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Full article:

Albion head coach Oscar Garcia wants Ashley Barnes to stay focused on his football while the striker sorts out his future with the club.

Barnes is in talks with the Seagulls over a new contract.

He is among several players whose deals expire at the end of the season and has been the subject of speculation in recent weeks linking him with Hull, Norwich and Celtic.

Oscar told The Argus: “Some players are talking (with the club) about their new contract but the important thing for me is they must be focused. The contract is another thing that's not important for me.

“The important thing is how they can play, how focused they are on the pitch.”

Barnes was relegated to the bench for last Saturday's 1-0 win at Birmingham.

He suffered a hip injury when he came on in a collision with goalkeeper Darren Randolph and is doubtful for tomorrow’s clash against Burnley at The Amex but remains part of Oscar's long-term strategy.

“We don’t have a player like him,” Oscar said. “He can play in different positions and offers mobility to our attack. He's a good player."

If Barnes fails to recover then Leo Ulloa will be the only senior recognised striker available, with Craig Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins both recovering from long-term injuries.

Oscar will be without Andrea Orlandi again for unbeaten Burnley's visit. The Spanish midfielder has been sidelined by a knee injury since the opening day defeat at Leeds.

Burnley have also suffered an injury blow. Ross Wallace needs knee surgery, ruling out the Scottish international winger for months.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10630520.Oscar__Don_t_lose_focus/?ref=twtrec

Aug 23, 2011
But i thought he was only conference standard at best and completely useless and that we should pay someone to take him off our hands. Maybe i'm not cut out to be a football manager

Tiresome isn't it, as long as you don't abuse the players, it should be fair game to criticise their abilities without it being implied you're some kind of bad fan dickhead

Aug 23, 2011
Tiresome isn't it, as long as you don't abuse the players, it should be fair game to criticise their abilities without it being implied you're some kind of bad fan dickhead

critiquing a player and pointing out where they need to improve is one thing however there are a lot of posters who just seem to choose a player for dislike and then berate them for anything to suit their agenda whether its fair or not.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
:blush:

I thinkk that's the same bloke who sits behind me in WSU

critiquing a player and pointing out where they need to improve is one thing however there are a lot of posters who just seem to choose a player for dislike and then berate them for anything to suit their agenda whether its fair or not.

Fair enough but you can at least have an exchange of opinions about their unfair agenda, or not if you don't think it's worth it. The kind of tedious superfan who just wants to shut down all debate on a player's abilities is a bigger danger to a messageboard, a forum like thsi surely has to try and encourage people to express opinions, even if some opinions might be a bit shit.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I couldn't agree more but there are "fans" who shout dogs abuse at him every time he gets the ball. It's extremely tiresome.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here