Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New laws for football fans

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry, I am on a tablet and struggle to copy/paste a link etc..

New laws will be introduced to curb offensive/homophobic chanting. A spokesperson on the Beeb just quoted the the 'Brighton Supporters Trust' (?) figures that Albion fans were subject to abuse at 70 % of away games last season.

Fans who abuse rival supporters via social media will also be liable to legal action under new proposals.

Well done Costa.......

#fooballbeingruined

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I heard it was Starbucks that lobbied for this?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It sounds a sensible move to me. The OP has put too much emphasis on the homophobic part, this is supposed to protect all fans from intimidation and bullying on or off the net.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It sounds a sensible move to me. The OP has put too much emphasis on the homophobic part, this is supposed to protect all fans from intimidation and bullying on or off the net.

Which in itself is not a bad thing, but is there a specific need in this day and age to target football ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I wonder how far back they'll go? To the birth of NSC? If 1 in 10 court cases are for tv licence evasion, NSC prosecutions will soon be the 2nd! What the other 8 are is anyone's guess! Anyway, a welcome development. Fewer Palace trolls perhaps.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I am deeply suspicious about these rules. Similar laws in Scotland have been used to remove sectarian chanting but have been abused by the police. Fans attending away matches have been subject to lock-ins by the police using spurious excuse of preventing hooliganism. There was the farce of the Huddersfield v Hull bubble last season, where when Yorkshire's finest were asked to justify their restrictions they were left scrabbling around for YouTube clips of trouble between the two sets of fans......only to find there wasn't any.

It wasn't too long ago that our match against FC United of Manchester was deemed a category C by the police, yet anyone who attended either of the games knows what an enjoyable occasion it was and how friendly and welcoming the FCUM fans turned out to be.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
El P, you make some good points. Forgot about these incidents. My concern as ever is whether clubs will in some way have to contribute financially. Because that will be passed back to fans inevitably. Wasn't it Hull fans who took legal action because of the manner in which they had to apply for tickets and travel to Leeds match because it was OTT?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I agree with posts on this thread. Whilst I 100% agree with the concept of stopping racism/homophobia etc I have grave concerns about specific new football laws being in the hands of police officers; especially after the recent events where terrorist laws seem to be used to intimidate journalists.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Sorry, I am on a tablet and struggle to copy/paste a link etc..

New laws will be introduced to curb offensive/homophobic chanting. A spokesperson on the Beeb just quoted the the 'Brighton Supporters Trust' (?) figures that Albion fans were subject to abuse at 70 % of away games last season.

Fans who abuse rival supporters via social media will also be liable to legal action under new proposals.

Well done Costa.......

#fooballbeingruined

I don't read of any new laws but guidance on how to use existing laws.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am deeply suspicious about these rules. Similar laws in Scotland have been used to remove sectarian chanting but have been abused by the police. Fans attending away matches have been subject to lock-ins by the police using spurious excuse of preventing hooliganism. There was the farce of the Huddersfield v Hull bubble last season, where when Yorkshire's finest were asked to justify their restrictions they were left scrabbling around for YouTube clips of trouble between the two sets of fans......only to find there wasn't any.

It wasn't too long ago that our match against FC United of Manchester was deemed a category C by the police, yet anyone who attended either of the games knows what an enjoyable occasion it was and how friendly and welcoming the FCUM fans turned out to be.

I share your scepticism El Pres, a rare event. (sorry LB)

If the laws are used in a sensible, balanced way then I have no problem with them. I fear the reality will be that the Police will continue to abuse their powers over football to make their job easier, and to enhance their figures/targets.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The problem I have with it is that a 3 year banning order is likely to be asked for on all offences.
If you go out on a Saturday night, have a few sherberts, get a bit too lippy with a stranger, maybe thinking it's funny to take the piss out of someone who is different and get arrested for disorderly behaviour, you're likely to end up with a fine or a conditional discharge (personally I like CDs, they hang over someone and serve to remind them that if they misbehave again they will get a harsher punishment).
Transpose the behaviour from 1am in West Street to 5pm at Falmer and suddenly the punishment includes a 3 year banning order. It's hugely disproportionate. In my opinion FBOs should only be granted for serious (ie violent) or repeat offenders; people who have been a bit twattish and gone over the top should be treated the same as they would be in any other environment.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I don't chant/message/post homophobic or racist abuse and have yet to meet anyone who does that I like so I hope they get done.

I'm against the police abusing their powers and if they do I'll object but that is a different subject.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I remember on one away day I had the misfortune to be standing near the Costa crew and to be honest their excessive screaming to stewards/OB was an embarrassment I actually began to feel sorry for the steward.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I remember on one away day I had the misfortune to be standing near the Costa crew and to be honest their excessive screaming to stewards/OB was an embarrassment I actually began to feel sorry for the steward.

I don't believe that for a minute.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here