Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the phrase for something that is past its peak but still great?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Due to a faulty memory, I can't put my finger on it. It's been used to describe The Simpsons during the phase when the show stopped being out-of-this-world in terms of creative brilliance and when it was just a consistently high standard, without being spectacular.

I just need it for an article (not on the Simpsons!).

Any help on this appreciated!

Also, in terms of football teams, I'd be interested in what football teams count as this. The obvious one is Arsenal after 2004...

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The post-Mourinho (his first time around) Chelsea, they won trophies in that time but never matched the quality or excitement of Mourinho's side

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well in Arsenal's case faded glory

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Another one might be Nottingham Forest after the glory years of 1977-80, still playing a high quality of football without playing like football giants thereafter.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Past it's prime?

It is something like that, but which indicates it's still pretty good, and the decline is minor, but definitely tangible.

Any Simpsons' fans here? I believe the phrase is common amongst Simpsons aficionados to describe a particular phase in the history of its production.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
It is something like that, but which indicates it's still pretty good, and the decline is minor, but definitely tangible.

Any Simpsons' fans here? I believe the phrase is common amongst Simpsons aficionados to describe a particular phase in the history of its production.

Looking at Simpsons reviews here are some buzz words / comments to jog the memory:

Golden era
Decline
Out of steam
Tired
Durable
Glossy / less glossy.
Glory days
Laboured

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Evergreen - in TV parlance this identifies a show that is past its absolute prime but will always generate a very healthy audience and loyal following

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In TV show parlance, is 'jumping the shark' the point when you know a show has turned crap or when you know it's gone past its peak (and may still be good but not as good as before)?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In TV show parlance, is 'jumping the shark' the point when you know a show has turned crap or when you know it's gone past its peak (and may still be good but not as good as before)?
I always took it to mean when a show loses touch with reality.

But if it will end this madness, use it, so we can all move on. :lol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Living off former glories.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
for when it has passed the point of no return and hastens ever closer to cancellation. That was the phrase I originally thought of so I checked :D

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Strange that you should answer your own question, as that is exactly the expression used by fans of The Simpsons. http://www.nerve.com/entertainment/2010/05/07/ten-times-the-simpsons-jumped-the-shark

I believe that it came from the suggestion that Homer would jump over a shark while surfing, and that the show would have nowhere to go from there.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I always took it to mean when a show loses touch with reality.

But if it will end this madness, use it, so we can all move on. :lol:

No probs, Stat. I'm sure the exact phrase will be hit upon probably when not actually thinking about it. But some good groundwork has been done here!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here