Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Greig

Sitting here waiting for the cricket to start so I took the time to watch the documentary on Tony Greig. I imagine that there are still some who dislike him due to the Packer affair. Cricket needed a good shake up and we must thank Greig and Packer for doing just that. Listening to the tributes paid to Greig just goes to show how much he was and still is loved and respected. Cricket enthusiasts the world over have so much to thank him for.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I'm sorry to disagree - but he treated young supporters at Sussex
shoddily. "Sorry lads, I only sign my book".

and how are we meant to afford your ******* book Tony?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Ian Chappell: "And welcome back to our Adelaide viewers, with the news that they have missed a bit of a sensation a short while ago when Imran Khan, the Pakistan skipper cracked one down behind square leg, and it was pretty embarresing for Immie, but it was a pretty big thrill for the thousands of adoring female fans Immie has here, and right around the country"

Tony Greig: "Well that's certainly true Ian. Imran Khan, never a shortage of attractive young Aussie girls keen to get down to his member's end and face a couple of balls. And he's hung like a rogue elephant too, Imran. I'll never forget on the 72/73 tour with the rest of the world team, I was sharing a room with him, and one night he cracked one through the covers and I can tell you, that little hotel bed of his blew up into something that resembled one of those huge Pakistani marquee's, and boy oh boy, was that something to behold."

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Came across this in an article by Vic Marks just after Greig died. Interesting to see how his England figures stand up to those of Botham and Flintoff. Not sure I would have put Greig in the same bracket, but his figures are pretty good!

Packer's intervention, which was regarded by many as a cataclysm at the time, has tended to dwarf just how good a cricketer Greig was. In the end the figures don't lie. In 58 Tests for England – and there obviously could have been many more – Greig scored 3,599 runs at 40 and took 141 wickets at 32, which does not compare too badly with Ian Botham (5,200 runs at 33 and 383 wickets at 28) or Andrew Flintoff (3,845 at 31, 226 at 32).

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
I'm sorry to disagree - but he treated young supporters at Sussex
shoddily. "Sorry lads, I only sign my book".

and how are we meant to afford your ******* book Tony?

Born in the mid 60's, i spent many a day during my youth watching him play for Sussex. Met him 3 or 4 times, always got an autograph. Thought he was friendly.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Not always. I remember one time, after a match at Horsham, about 20 kids were surrounding him as he walked off the field after a game. I was one of them, he signed programmes then.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Fair enough Miami.........

Calling him a w*n8*r the first time might not have done
my future chances much good :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes he happily signed my 1973 cricket autograph book at Hove. He also had many pints with my dad and fans at the bar of The Cricketers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Came across this in an article by Vic Marks just after Greig died. Interesting to see how his England figures stand up to those of Botham and Flintoff. Not sure I would have put Greig in the same bracket, but his figures are pretty good!

Packer's intervention, which was regarded by many as a cataclysm at the time, has tended to dwarf just how good a cricketer Greig was. In the end the figures don't lie. In 58 Tests for England – and there obviously could have been many more – Greig scored 3,599 runs at 40 and took 141 wickets at 32, which does not compare too badly with Ian Botham (5,200 runs at 33 and 383 wickets at 28) or Andrew Flintoff (3,845 at 31, 226 at 32).

Greig was a considerably better batsman than Botham or Flintoff - in fact, he was probably a better bowler than Flintoff too. Don't forget that he played against some first class Australian and West Indian teams and made runs in India too. He seemed to relish the challenge of tougher teams.

I reckon that Greig is probably the most under-rated player in my lifetime. If he hadn't been involved with Packer, he'd be recognised as one of the greats but he's almost forgotten.

And I don't remember him as being a stingy with autographs - I certainly remember getting his.

Bruno

Jul 2, 2012
I remember running on to the pitch after a game at the County Ground and asking him for his autograph.

"Not today son" was the curt reply I got!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I remember running on to the pitch after a game at the County Ground and asking him for his autograph.

Well I never had that problem with him. Still got several tatty bits of Argus photo complete with his signature.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Greig was a considerably better batsman than Botham or Flintoff - in fact, he was probably a better bowler than Flintoff too. Don't forget that he played against some first class Australian and West Indian teams and made runs in India too. He seemed to relish the challenge of tougher teams.

I reckon that Greig is probably the most under-rated player in my lifetime. If he hadn't been involved with Packer, he'd be recognised as one of the greats but he's almost forgotten.

And I don't remember him as being a stingy with autographs - I certainly remember getting his.
And he didn't become the tedious oaf that Botham has regressed into.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

I remember running onto the pitch at Hove to get Geoff Boycotts autograph, nobody had told me of the board round the pitch marking the boundary and Sir Geoffrey wasn't impressed when I landed at his feet. Tony Greig was fine for me and autographed my bat and my autograph book. Always one of favourite cricketers

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Quite simply my sporting hero. So proud when he captained England and I'd got his autograph at the County Ground and had spoken to him. A giant in cricket - in more ways than one. My collar is frequently up in silent tribute in summer months. Thanks Greigy for everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here