Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Squad

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Given that Oscar seem to have settled on a 433 formation, I would judge the three teams to be as such

1st XI: Kuszczak - Bruno, Ward, Greer, Upson - Bridcutt, Andrews, Agustien - Orlandi, Ulloa, David.

2nd XI: Brezovan - Calderon, Chicksen, El-abd, Dunk - Ince, Forster-Caskey, Crofts - Buckely, Barnes, Lua-lua.

3rd XI: Ankergren - Barry, Maksimenko Rea, Hunt - Richards, Ásmundsson, March - Barker, Hoskins, Mackail- Smith.

Which I am sure most of you can agree there and about.

My duo of questions to you fans. Who is the weakest player in the first team? In what position is do we have the least depth of real quality?

For the record my vote is Ward who I feel is perfect at this level, just our first team is so strong! And striker. Ulloa is the only player I feel truly confident in such an important role... Put Zamora in this squad and we will destroy this league!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why do we need 3 teams?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Buckley into 1st XI, instead of Agustien or David, or indeed, in place of the maybe-to-be-sold Bridcutt. CMS into the second XI instead of JFC.

I know nothing of Ward. To answer your question, not enough creativity or goals in your 1st XI midfield. That team won't score many, and that isn't because of a striker problem

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
To answer your question, not enough creativity or goals in your 1st XI midfield. That team won't score many, and that isn't because of a striker problem

I disagree. A solid central midfield with Agustein rampaging forward when in possession is a great base for a team to build from. There are enough goals and assists between KA, David, Orlandi and Ulloa to win us games. There's always the bench if its not working after an hour.

Personally I'd agree regarding Buckley in for David but he needs to BUCK his ideas up if he's going to be guaranteed a start this year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Rather than 3 XIs I tend to think of it as a First XI, a First XVIII, and a squad of XXVII to cover injury and suspension.

XI
Kuszczak
Ward
Upson
Greer
Bruno
Orlandi
Andrews
Bridcutt
Agustien
Spanish
Ulloa

XVIII
Ankers
ElAbd
Calderon
Buckley
KLL
Barnes
Crofts

XXVII
Brezovan
Dunk
Ince
JFC
March
CMS
Chicksen
Maximenko
(To fill 1 position = new striker)

XI, XVIII, XXVII dependent on opposition / formation.

Least depth = Striker

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
My duo of questions to you fans. Who is the weakest player in the first team? In what position is do we have the least depth of real quality?

For the record my vote is Ward who I feel is perfect at this level, just our first team is so strong! And striker. Ulloa is the only player I feel truly confident in such an important role... Put Zamora in this squad and we will destroy this league!

What a poorly written post. So your vote for the "weakest player in the first team" is Ward who you feel "is perfect at this level"??

As for Zamora, he was on the bench for QPR's opening game and was rated 4 by the Sunday Times for his performance on Saturday. Not the player he once was, I fear.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
Not exactly an answer to any of your questions, but I woke up about ten minutes ago thinking this..

Why does Buckley NEVER switch to the left wing? I can't recall him ever being on that side, even if he's getting no joy on the right? Odd.

Anyway, carry on.

P.s. We need another defender and midfielder to properly challenge IMO. Striker would be a bonus.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not exactly an answer to any of your questions, but I woke up about ten minutes ago thinking this..

Why does Buckley NEVER switch to the left wing? I can't recall him ever being on that side, even if he's getting no joy on the right? Odd.

Anyway, carry on.

P.s. We need another defender and midfielder to properly challenge IMO. Striker would be a bonus.
Not being funny but do you go to many matches? Buckles and Lualua used to swap wings all the time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Buckley is not worth a place in the 1st team at the moment, on the games I have seen, looked poor against both Derby and Birmingham. He seems to be brilliant or rubbish with nothing in the middle, maybe he'll have a brilliant game this weekend, assuming that he starts.

I'd think I'd prefer us to start with Barnes playing up top with Ulloa. Buckley looked very uncomfortable in what seemed like that position on Saturday.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
As for Zamora, he was on the bench for QPR's opening game and was rated 4 by the Sunday Times for his performance on Saturday. Not the player he once was, I fear.

Hardly surprising is it - he's nearly 33 with a bad injury record. I think he'll n retiring before long. I've never advocated having him back - I'd rather remember how it was than see a player a shadow of his former self.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We have Tommy K, Bridcutt (at the moment) & Ulloa.
+
24 other players to fill the other 8 positions.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Any decent manager will mix up his starting 11 depending on the opposition / game plan. Thus you need to start again and do 2X 18 man 'teams' with subs to rotate. Buckley//David issue on the right gets solved as does Barnes striker but really a wide forward too, as they all '1st team'.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Horses for courses. Different teams will require different personnel, the notion of a first, second and third eleven is too simplistic.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I disagree. A solid central midfield with Agustein rampaging forward when in possession is a great base for a team to build from. There are enough goals and assists between KA, David, Orlandi and Ulloa to win us games. There's always the bench if its not working after an hour.

Personally I'd agree regarding Buckley in for David but he needs to BUCK his ideas up if he's going to be guaranteed a start this year.

Its a great base, and I doubt we'd concede too many either. But its no more attacking a line-up than Gus put out, arguably more defensive I'm not complaining because it worked for Gus, but if we want to pick holes in Brighton of last season or at the moment, we don't score enough, and I don't see many goals in that team either. I do think Ulloa is a 20 goal plus man, but he needs wingers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here