essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Great and good of NSC

A friend of mine from abroad is off to Edinburgh
next week with his wife and 16 month old baby;

he stupidly asked me for advice on what to
do there! I said the usual - Castle, Princes street (?), zoo
etc - but they are looking more for trips to countryside sights and
landscapes that you might not find in the rest of the UK.

Any ideas?

Ta very much for any guidance.
(I will ack. NSC for any info received)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Great and good of NSC

A friend of mine from abroad is off to Edinburgh
next week with his wife and 16 month old baby;

he stupidly asked me for advice on what to
do there! I said the usual - Castle, Princes street (?), zoo
etc - but they are looking more for trips to countryside sights and
landscapes that you might not find in the rest of the UK.

Any ideas?

Ta very much for any guidance.
(I will ack. NSC for any info received)

First thing is he ought to have gone to Glasgow as so much closer to the Highlands, Loch Lomond 30/45 minutes away and the scenery is non stop thereafter. Wonderful museums !

I suppose from Edinburgh, visit South Queensferry (Forth Bridges) and RMY Britannia is, I believe, at Leith. Other than what you say there is Arthur's seat and the Palace of Holyrood House, the Old Town and the Royal Mile. National Gallery etc.

Scenery is largely dictated in Scotland by the Highland fault line which runs from Helensburgh in the West across to about Perth, south of that is the Central Lowlands which are substantially well, 'low'.

I am sure they will have a good time anyway.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
First thing is he ought to have gone to Glasgow as so much closer to the Highlands, Loch Lomond 30/45 minutes away and the scenery is non stop thereafter. Wonderful museums !

I suppose from Edinburgh, visit South Queensferry (Forth Bridges) and RMY Britannia is, I believe, at Leith. Other than what you say there is Arthur's seat and the Palace of Holyrood House, the Old Town and the Royal Mile. National Gallery etc.

Scenery is largely dictated in Scotland by the Highland fault line which runs from Helensburgh in the West across to about Perth, south of that is the Central Lowlands which are substantially well, 'low'.

I'm off to Loch Lomond next week! Sounds good!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Thats not underneath a road tunnel by any chance?

If there was a secret bunker under Southwick tunnel, there would be a sign by Tesco:

IMG_0200.jpg

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

By the way

If anyone is ever going up Loch Lomondside, just a bit north of Ardlui (which is at the top end) there is a place called Inverarnan which you MUST NOT just go through without visiting 'The Drovers' pub which will be an experience for anyone. Highly Highly recommended !

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
Well, Edinburgh is in the middle of the Edinburgh Festival right now so there is loads of entertainment going on in the centre of Edinburgh at the moment. If he gets a chance and can find a ticket, the military tattoo is worth seeing.

I live in Brighton and work in Edinburgh!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Any decent late night (rock) music pubs in the city ? I'm off to work there next month but wont be finishing until 10 each night.

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
For a bit of entertainment a trip to Bathgate is recommended. Seek out the Royal Bar and order a pint, then gently drop into the conversation that Margeret Thatcher was the finest prime minister this country has ever had, adding that Arthur Scargill is a total prat and should have been put down at birth. For added effect you can also say you are a Freemason. The resultant caberet is amazing, I know as I have done it!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here