Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** iPhone 5S/5C/6 !? **

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Who's looking forward to the next iPhone model?

Lots of heavy rumours circulating that 2 models are being released, a 'budget' model and a top-end model.

Hoping the top-end model isn't just a slight improvement of the 5 but this will probably be the case?

Either way, I foresee my bank balance plummeting in the next 6 weeks.

...now waits for the inevitable Android Vs Apple debate completely derailing this thread. Cheers guys..

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The budget option is a good idea although I suspect it will mainly be targeted at developing markets.

As for the new high end model, I think Apple have some work to do to stand out again. Android manufacturers have really upped their game in the past few years and handsets like the HTC One and Sony's Xperia Z prove that Android can be a premium product. Both these handsets are leading the market right now and the current iPhone has nothing to really distinguish it from the crowd, aside from its premium price tag.

I'd like to see some game changing innovations to shake things up just like the original iPhone did

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
im excited by the budget model

im not a power user of my mobile, but i like the apple os more than the android system i've got after switching from an iphone 3gs 6 months ago - so wouldnt be too bummed if it wasnt as powerful as other iphones

if it has a plastic case and costs a lot less i will be even happier as it means i can get it on a good monthly contract

plus most people who buy an iphone immediately stick a hideous plastic/rubber protective case on it anyway, so its essentially irrelevant if its plastic or metal casing

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Rumour is that the budget model will have the same specs as the iPhone 4S, but will have the iphone 5's screen. Rumours are also that it won't be that cheap.

For me, i think it gives apple an excuse to bump up the price of the higher-spec model, because it is likely that it will be the model most people go for.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
plus most people who buy an iphone immediately stick a hideous plastic/rubber protective case on it anyway, so its essentially irrelevant if its plastic or metal casing

This is the real debate - screw the whole Android v Apple geekathon debates. Why on earth do Apple spend millions of $'s on product design when 80% of users stick a big lump or rubber on to protect it? Similarly with the iPad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
plus most people who buy an iphone immediately stick a hideous plastic/rubber protective case on it anyway

This annoys me so much. Apple products are items of beauty, they really are, and to cover them up is a crime. All my Apple products are as naked as the day they were born and they look much better for it. The Frau has a lovely white Ipad mini which she houses in this disgusting flip top tacky purple plastic case. Why?

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
This annoys me so much. Apple products are items of beauty, they really are, and to cover them up is a crime. All my Apple products are as naked as the day they were born and they look much better for it. The Frau has a lovely white Ipad mini which she houses in this disgusting flip top tacky purple plastic case. Why?

my SO has done that with her Macbook pro with some garish coloured rubber thing - hideous - the ONLY reason i would do that if i owned one is because the metal finish makes my hands feel weird, so id get a plain black one, MAYBE

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
im excited by the budget model

im not a power user of my mobile, but i like the apple os more than the android system i've got after switching from an iphone 3gs 6 months ago - so wouldnt be too bummed if it wasnt as powerful as other iphones

if it has a plastic case and costs a lot less i will be even happier as it means i can get it on a good monthly contract

Same here, if the leaked pictures are accurate I'm happy with what it looks like. I don't need my phone to be top-spec or take the best pictures in the darkest of alleyways or need a finger-print to unlock.
Will probably look at buying outright and sticking with Giffgaff for overall lowest cost. Reports so far £280 - £360 for the budget option.

Rumour is that the budget model will have the same specs as the iPhone 4S, but will have the iphone 5's screen. Rumours are also that it won't be that cheap.

All rumours so far but I've similarly read the budget will meet the spec of the iPhone 5 and cost £280 - £360 (which wouldn't be bad for an iPhone although not exactly 'budget').

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Yeah, as you say all rumours. To be honest, this upgrade cycle doesnt really concern me as i still have a year left on my contract, i'm more excited about the final release version of iOS 7 :rave:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
All rumours so far but I've similarly read the budget will meet the spec of the iPhone 5 and cost £280 - £360 (which wouldn't be bad for an iPhone although not exactly 'budget').

Not a bad price, most of the half decent smartphones start around the £300+ mark, the top spec google jobs are all around the £500+ mark

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove

Or maybe people put them on so that they don't make scratches on the phone when they drop it? Just a thought.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
What's the point of stopping it from scratching when it's covered up anyway?

Risk of scratching is not the reason I have my iPhone in a case. It's the risk of dropping it and taking a chunk out of it or maybe smashing it to bits that makes me put a cover on mine.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

That's tempting ...

Say you pay £100 for a 6, plus £40 a month on 24 month contract, that's £1,060 quid.

An unlocked model which you can stick an unlimited 3 sim in (or alternative) really appeals as I'm no fan of these 2 year contracts.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Are they going to make it LONGER with another row of apps?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That's tempting ...

Say you pay £100 for a 6, plus £40 a month on 24 month contract, that's £1,060 quid.

An unlocked model which you can stick an unlimited 3 sim in (or alternative) really appeals as I'm no fan of these 2 year contracts.

Yeah I can't hack contracts. The below is a very rough estimate but if you have the dosh up front, you'll nearly always save good money on new release phones.

Price comparison:

Contract:
Initial handset cost: £50 - £100
Averaqe unlimited data contract: £35.00 p/m over 24 months
= £890 - £940

PAYG:
Initial handset cost: £280 - £360 (Budget Rumours)
Giffgaff unlimited sim (PAYG) £12.00 p/m (x24 months)
= £568 - £648

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yeah I can't hack contracts. The below is a very rough estimate but if you have the dosh up front, you'll nearly always save good money on new release phones.

Price comparison:

Contract:
Initial handset cost: £50 - £100
Averaqe unlimited data contract: £35.00 p/m over 24 months
= £890 - £940

PAYG:
Initial handset cost: £280 - £360 (Budget Rumours)
Giffgaff unlimited sim (PAYG) £12.00 p/m (x24 months)
= £568 - £648

I'm starting to reach this conclusion - But how unlimited is 'unlimited' and GiffGaff?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here