Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

20 Years Ago Today...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
...on August 21st 1993, I saw my first ever Albion game.

Up until that point I counted myself as a Man U fan, with Eric Cantona as my favourite player, (I was 9 years old at this stage) but I'd only ever seen them on TV. We didn't live in Sussex at the time but came down here to visit family and I got the chance to go to the Goldstone and see live football for the first time. The game itself was a 1-1 draw with Hartlepool but obviously something struck a chord with me and it started off a run of going to see games whenever we came to visit. For the first 10 or so games I saw across those mid 90s seasons, I never saw us lose, so that contributed to my enjoyment and slowly but surely I began to be less of a Man U fan and more of an Albion fan.

We moved down to Sussex permanently in 2000 and I started going to Withdean, eventually becoming an STH (although I had to give that up after a few years for work reasons) and really becoming a 'full time' fan - Albion tattoo, replica shirts and mugs etc....and obviously that has carried on into the Amex years.

The club has changed so much in the last two decades, and I've seen promotions, relegations, wins, losses, joy, despair and more than our fair share of dramas both on and off the pitch, and although I would never really have imagined at that first game that the club I was watching would go on to be such a big part of my life all these years later, far less would I have imagined that we'd be playing somewhere like the Amex and have been lucky enough to see some truly top class players in the stripes.

For all those ups and downs though, I'd sooner be an Albion fan than a Man U fan any day of the week :albion:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Over 50 years for me. Damned JCL's. :wave:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
:thumbsup:

For all those ups and downs though, I'd sooner be an Albion fan than a Man U fan any day of the week

What about a Barca fan though?

Oh and first game: 01/01/1992. 0-0 v Bristol City.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
nearly 55 years
27th Dec 1958
dragged over the wall by the West stand and on some guys shoulders all the match
what makes me smile is if he had to carry me on his shoulders now we would both end up in A&E
it was Fulham ........and a blur ............but I was hooked

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Saturday 28th January 1978 Brighton 5 - 1 Mansfield 1 (think brighton scored all 6 goals) O'sullivan oggy. Standing on a crate in weststand amazed at the size of the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here