Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Travel; Insurance

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
No, not if you buy carefully. If travelling in the EU your EHIC card may well help in an emergency but it will not help to repatriate you!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No it isnt.
shop around for the best deal that suits your needs.

or travel without it and go FULL BELLEND

D

Deleted member 18477

My travel insurance was about 70 quid for 2 week holiday for 4 people out of Europe.

I'd say that's pretty reasonable - especially if something had happened and we needed to make a claim...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have shopped around and found that the medical extras on my travel insurance provided with my bank account comes to less for 12 months than I was quoted for 5 days on the cheapest website as per money supermarket .com.

I know a chap who works for Aria in Haywards Heath and his job is to try to find a reason for the company to not pay out a claim.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I pay under £60 for worldwide annual family cover. A while back a friend of mine broke his pelvis and had to be flown home in an air ambulance; if he'd not had insurance he would have been looking at a minimum of £10000.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
You have to be a complete mug not to get travel insurance. I recently spent 3 days in a Turkish hospital. The bill must have run into thousands.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that if in the EU the EHIC card should cover all treatment and repatriation to your EU country of residence It seems that we are in the EU when it suits but not when it doesnt.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think that if in the EU the EHIC card should cover all treatment and repatriation to your EU country of residence It seems that we are in the EU when it suits but not when it doesnt.

No chance. In Spain and Greece you'll be lucky if it gets you any treatment at all these days. Travel insurance is an absolute must and compared to the cost of a holiday, for most people, is an absolute steal.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
people spend thousands on their holidays and then try to save £50 on their insurance - why? (probably same people that waste time whilst on holiday trying to get a better Euro rate for their £).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife and I are going to Spain for 5 days in September but the price quoted was virtually the same as we paid for 17 days in Cyprus in June, how does that work out. However I decided to contact my bank with whom we get free travel insurance and found that the medical extras came to less than I had been quoted for insurance and that was for 12 months cover so took that.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
You are automatically insured if you bank with The Nationwide. But only as an individual. You pay £30 for family to be added which for a years cover is not bad.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
cheapest isn't usually the best and you only find out how good the policy is when you make a claim (as previously stated).

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Wife and I are going to Spain for 5 days in September but the price quoted was virtually the same as we paid for 17 days in Cyprus in June, how does that work out. However I decided to contact my bank with whom we get free travel insurance and found that the medical extras came to less than I had been quoted for insurance and that was for 12 months cover so took that.

Just make sure you understand the exclusions. Pre Existing Conditions.. Are they covered?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Why on earth should the EU pay for you or I to be flown home at a cost of £20k or more if you're ill/ injured?

Or, perhaps reversing it, should we pay for an air ambulance back to Warsaw for, say, a Polish tourist who gets drunk in London, falls over, and breaks his neck?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here