Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Global markets in death spiral?

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
can any economists or market players denounce this information?

Yes, I can. I am an economist (two degrees, count 'em). I work as an economist for an economic development organization.

Believe what you want. Have a good panic, lay in the loo paper and canned goods, just like Y2K. Remember Y2K? Or December 2012, end of the Aztec calendar and the world as we know it?

Enjoy the panic, hysteria and conspiracy theories. As a Denouncing Economist, verily I say unto thee, Nothing to See Here.

You have not been charged for this information.

:thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

054314450_were_doomed_answer_5_xlarge.jpg

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i am only interested in replies who will intelligently talk about the data, and it's relevance in the markets, not subjective opinions, reactions to the website, or any mention of the word conspiracy (from the latin conspirar = to breath with).

cue tumbleweed or more of the above replies :)

i am only interested in replies who will intelligently talk about the data, and it's relevance in the markets, not subjective opinions, reactions to the website, or any mention of the word conspiracy (from the latin conspirar = to breath with).

No point posting this on NSC really then.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Have you considered that a website called 'The Economic Collapse Blog.com' just MIGHT have a bit of an agenda?

Spot on HKFC. I mean, the advertizers on the site are a bit of a giveaway: Home Bunker manufacturers, bottled and packaged food merchants, bullion hawkers....etc. etc....excellent stuff.

Point is, we did all this before in Y2K and a lot of doom merchants did awfully well out of winding up the general populace.

If I had the time and energy, yes, I would refute some of the "facts" so freely bandied about -- such as bankruptcy data. But FFS, I live on Maui, surf's up and it would be a monumental waste of time.

But to oblige, here's the tumbleweed you so accurately predicted (ooh scarey, it must all be true)

:tumble:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I haven't read the blog, but the financial system is undoubtedly flawed and destined to fail eventually, you don't need a degree in economics to see that.

Human kind is ultimately flawed and destined to fail eventually. Economics is a side show.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

You realise that the replies you get to any thread you start aren't under your control? You ask a question and get answers - there are no restrictions as to what they can be. It's the joy of 'discussion'.

What you're trying to do is put boundaries around what can be discussed so people have to say "yes, you're right. How clever of you". Anything that contradicts your (what you call) 'information' will be called opinion, or unintelligent. People can, and should criticise sources. Otherwise how do you decide what is 'information' and what is 'ramblings of a crazy person on the internet'?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Spot on HKFC. I mean, the advertizers on the site are a bit of a giveaway: Home Bunker manufacturers, bottled and packaged food merchants, bullion hawkers....etc. etc....excellent stuff.

:

I'm quite taken with 'Revolutionary Realtors' - offering affordable off-grid living for discernng 'survivalists' and 'preparedness folks', with '11 golf courses in the vicinity'.

Joking aside though, North Idaho does look absolutely lovely.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
There is no real argument in this hysterical blog; it's just a list of loosely connected, but very selectively chosen "sensational" facts. If you could be arsed, it wouldn't take long to pull together a list of 18 key "signs" proving exactly the opposite (i.e. that the global economy is on the brink of an unprecendented era of growth and prosperity). That wouldn't be true either.

The most charitable interpretation of this rubbish is that he's saying there's something inherently unstable about financial markets in a capitalist system, and what goes up might also come down. This isn't exactly news. It's designed to panic gullible people -- interesting that the last sentence of both blogs contains this doom-laden warning to "prepare" ("I hope that you are taking this time to prepare for the approaching storm, because it is going to be very painful.", "Use the time that you have right now to prepare for what is ahead."), but he makes no suggestions as to how his readers might prepare (head up into the Ozarks with a rifle and a copy of the Bible??), probably because he has no idea himself.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Y2K was based upon one number in a computer....the data in the above links are based on thousands of numbers.

@teaboy the post asked for economists or market players to reply....but yes, hoping for this was a large oversight ;-)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm not an economist, a mere enthusiastic follower and observe the same things have been said every year for the past 4 or 5. if you wanted to, you could find a website claiming and "proving" the same thing going back to 1994, and in pamplets and newsletters for decades before that. basically you can take any subset of economic data to "prove" somthing one way or another, but other data and reality often sits there ignoring the "proof".

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You realise that the replies you get to any thread you start aren't under your control? You ask a question and get answers - there are no restrictions as to what they can be. It's the joy of 'discussion'.

What you're trying to do is put boundaries around what can be discussed so people have to say "yes, you're right. How clever of you". Anything that contradicts your (what you call) 'information' will be called opinion, or unintelligent. People can, and should criticise sources. Otherwise how do you decide what is 'information' and what is 'ramblings of a crazy person on the internet'?
This in spades.

And it's odd that he is allowed to question the status quo whereas he gets the hump when anyone dares to question anything that might be considered the on-line ramblings of a group of nutjobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here