Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A trophy or avoid relegation...

Cup or avoid relegation?

• Win the League Cup

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Avoid relegation

Votes: 51 81.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A Liverpool fan put it to me that most fans would rather win say the League Cup and get relegated than stay up and not win the Cup.

I suggested that quite a few Brighton fans would rather avoid relegation than win the cup as relegation has a far more negative effect on the club than the positive effect of winning a cup.

So I put it to you Albion fans, which would you prefer?

Poll above

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Depends on the cup and what league we're in at the time.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
While a cup would soften the blow of relegation I'd still rather not get relegated than win the league cup and go down.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
i.e. I'd take us winning the FA Cup and going down from League 1 to League 2, I think.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Trophy, all day long - that's the point of football isn't it? Would be remembered for the next 50 years or longer

League Cup money would more than cover the costs of relegation too.

Would it cover the losses though?

Reduced crowds, Championship wages in League One.

If we're losing money in this League we'd be losing even more if we dropped a division.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry, should have prefaced. We're in the Championship and it's the League Cup

Difficult one. I think I'd take it, because I believe we have the infrastructure and stability to get back into the Championship pretty quickly.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Difficult one. I think I'd take it, because I believe we have the infrastructure and stability to get back into the Championship pretty quickly.

I think I'll forever be an eggshells fan.

Knowing what we've gone through and our past I'll always chose the option where our future and stability are more assured.

Even if it means a lack of silverware. Just happy to have the club still alive and kicking.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Cup, agree that's what football is about and we'd be talking about it for the next Century. A relegation to the first division wouldn't be all that extraordinary given our history.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Well, as we are out of the League Cup (COC Cup - Or whatever it is called!), I think you need to change it to FA Cup :lolol:

Cup run very excited to be on one of those! As long as we don't replicate 83, and lose in the final and go down. :albion2:

I seem to remember not long ago, the excitement in our season was a Johnstone's Paint trophy run, where we lost to Luton in the area final! How times have changed!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Cup, agree that's what football is about and we'd be talking about it for the next Century. A relegation to the first division wouldn't be all that extraordinary given our history.

Given our recent history and what has been achieved over the last three seasons or so, I think relegation would be catastrophic. I agree we would have the infrastructure and so on to bounce back, and I don't mean catastrophic in terms of leading to disaster, but to get to the position where we needed to bounce back that much would be awful.

Having said that, I would still be here.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Winning a cup is more important. Cups are remembered for ever. we can get over a relegation and go back up again at some point but it is very rare to win a cup. And who wouldn't want a chance to play in Europe?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Trophy, all day long - that's the point of football isn't it? Would be remembered for the next 50 years or longer

League Cup money would more than cover the costs of relegation too.

The winners of the league cup get about £100,000. I doubt that would cover the loss in revenue if we were relegated to league 1

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
True, I had to look that up - Pathetic amount for a national trophy. The TV money is about the same amount, overall the winners get about £500k after that and gates - It's pretty clear why few teams take it seriously.

However - the winner does qualify for the Europa League - which if a club of our size qualified, it would be like hitting the jackpot.

Although European football would be great I'm not sure that the Europa League would be that lucrative, we certainly have to get to the group stages to have any real money coming in from it. Plus it's a lot more games and as we've seen with other sides they can struggle with a Thursday Sunday schedule, being in League 1 would also see us having to take part in the johnsons paint or whatever it's called. I think it would still prove to be more costly long term than the original euphoria of winning the cup would be worth.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I would take relegation this year if it meant we would win the FA Cup.

As long as the semi-finals aren't at Wembley though, which f***ing idiot thought that would be a good idea?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here