Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Belfry?

phatsam99

Jul 6, 2011
I'm off to the belfry this weekend playing all 3 course, any of you guys been before what's it like and got any tips?

Ah ... The Belfry.

Happy days in my youth. When it was nothing but a hotel, with a huge great dance hall attached. Many's the Friday or Saturday night I spent down there, doing stuff that a seventeen or eighteen year old lad and his mates got up to.

I believe they've built some sort of golf course there, since those days, though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've played one of them, when I was there for a work conference (not the championship course).

It was pretty relaxed to be honest - I was expecting it to be a bit intimidating for a casual hacker.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep, played all three three or four times.

The Derby Course is uninteresting and pretty bland, and if they leave the rough long, take a bag of balls!!!

The Ryder Cup Course is immense, every hole is a challenge and there is lots of water, so take your flippers ( seriously take one of them ball retrievers and it will pay for itself with all the balls you find) If you can hit straightish, you will be ok, but you do get weekend hackers on there who wont fill in divots. You will enjoy that course.

The PGA is a ******* course...its is extremely challenging and the greens were like glass when we played there. It is really worth playing though.

The hotel is ok, the Spa is great and we were there when there was a group of American ladies from Alabama over to play the course...they were a right laugh in the bar afterwards.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I went a long time ago. One course was essentially a mud patch and the championship course was not in good nick either. Was vastly overplayed and over-rated, so hopefully it has improved. Birdied 18, that's all I really remember, so not the best place I have played that's for sure.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's all about the 10th and 18th imo ... otherwise nothing too special.

The Bel Air is a magnet for over age pig ugly tarts

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Used to have itvas our hone course for uni golf team. Played all three many times.

The Derby is a very average course. Nothing to write homw about.

The PGA imo is the best course and really tough.

The Brabazon is the Ryder Cup course and as said, love 10th and 18th but most other holes good championship standard.

Bel air must still be there...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Only played the Derby Course, which was average, what was below average then (2018 ish) was the accommodation and food, bloody Travelodge at best.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Bel Air is full of Double Glazing Salesman and women of a certain age, pulling each other .... literally

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Played the Brabazon about ten years ago, started at the tenth! Don't know if is still the same but we played off a tee about 60 yards back from the tee used in the Ryder Cup so no chance of going for the green like the professionals do!

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I'm off to the belfry this weekend playing all 3 course, any of you guys been before what's it like and got any tips?

Yeah don't stay in the hotel

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

Absolutely spot on from what I can remember. The 10th down hill is almost impossible to get right, a total ******* of a hole, whereas the 18th is easier than you think if can control yourself and settle for a lay up with your 2nd shot rather than get all Johnny big in yer pants it's my last hole so I'm gonna monster it - that's my recollection from 20 odd years ago....

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East

Absolutely spot on from what I can remember. The 10th down hill is almost impossible to get right, a total ******* of a hole, whereas the 18th is easier than you think if can control yourself and settle for a lay up with your 2nd shot rather than get all Johnny big in yer pants it's my last hole so I'm gonna monster it - that's my recollection from 20 odd years ago....

Can't disagree with this. I remember monstering a drive on 18 (the tee was a good way forward from where the pros play), getting all smug, then thinning a 9 iron through the back!
The Bel Air really is a weird place - loads of local old slappers decend on the place as they reckon it's a good bet to bag a solvent bloke!
The hotel is poor.

phatsam99

Jul 6, 2011
Thanks for the comments I have a girlfriend so ill make sure to set my friends up with the old slappers lol
Should be a good weekend £236 for 2 nights all 3 courses plus free dinner, bretfest, spa and free entry to the night club.
Lets see if I can win the Beecham cup

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here