Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T: Does liking something that posh people like automatically make you posh?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stat Bro started a thread in response to the Millwall WSL single ticket pricing thread about the prices of opera. I posted three or four times and the title of this thread popped into my head as a genuine question.

So, how many "posh" things does someone have to like in order to themselves qualify as posh? Is one thing enough or does it have to be multiple things (if so, how many)? What constitutes a posh thing anyway? After all, posh people like eating; does that mean that anyone who eats is posh? Clearly not.

Is "posh" simply another word for "something expensive that I don't do"?

The musings of a man who likes opera, doesn't consider himself posh (but who I suspect many on here would) and has too much time on his hands atm...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stat Bro started a thread in response to the Millwall WSL single ticket pricing thread about the prices of opera. I posted three or four times and the title of this thread popped into my head as a genuine question.

So, how many "posh" things does someone have to like in order to themselves qualify as posh? Is one thing enough or does it have to be multiple things (if so, how many)? What constitutes a posh thing anyway? After all, posh people like eating; does that mean that anyone who eats is posh? Clearly not.

Is "posh" simply another word for "something expensive that I don't do"?

The musings of a man who likes opera, doesn't consider himself posh (but who I suspect many on here would) and has too much time on his hands atm...

You're born posh. You can 'affect' being posh, but ultimately you will be caught out at some stage.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You're born posh. You can 'affect' being posh, but ultimately you will be caught out at some stage.

Interesting. So, a self made person, with a yacht, a box at the opera and Twickenham, 5 houses, and who regularly eats at Michelin-starred restaurants and has centre court tickets at Wimbledon isn't posh? He's just a nouveau-riche fool?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
For people, I think "posh" is pretty much 100% in the voice. When things rather than people are described as "posh", as has already been said, it is usually a slightly derogatory term implying something that is usually expensive and exclusive. I generally don't use the word "posh" except when referring to people, restaurants or houses. The concept of "posh music" doesn't make sense to me as CDs generally cost the same regardless of genre...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some people think people who READ are posh.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Port Out Starboard Home - Surely being posh is all about wanting and affording "the best", where the best translates as lifting yourself up above others. 1901'ers are in the posh seats whether they consider themselves posh or not, because they are prepared to pay more than the rest of us to watch exactly the same game of football.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Interesting. So, a self made person, with a yacht, a box at the opera and Twickenham, 5 houses, and who regularly eats at Michelin-starred restaurants and has centre court tickets at Wimbledon isn't posh? He's just a nouveau-riche fool?
In England you can always find someone to look down their nose at you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Oooh, this restaurant has SQUARE plates! Dead posh, that."

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here