Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£120 to buy a ticket for The Royal Opera House ...

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I fancied a day out at Royal Ascot then onto The Royal Opera House, but they can fook off if they think I'm going to shell out that kind of cash.

£52 for the nags, and £120 sovs for the prancing, they can do one, I ain't made of money.
You'd have thought they'd sell all those tickets right at the front cheaper, it'll be a right pain in the arse getting a seat on the Park & Ride from there.

***I could always go to the silver ring and lower slips for £27 total***

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Seems quite reasonable for a special day out. Are you planning on going, say, 25 times a year? Then it might seem just a bit steep.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would imagine going to the Royal Opera House is a once a year (if not once in lifetime) trip. I wouldn't think a lot of people go 23 times a year.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Apart from trivialising what is an important topic about the state of football today and the price of which thousands pay for the benefit of whom?

Do you go more than once a week/fortnight to the opera? Do you read reviews about the performance beforehand?

Besides, if you are not fussed about not watching 'upper tier' or not quite so famous opera, then you can bag tickets for as cheap as £8 at the magical Glyndebourne.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought it was a tenor for the opera...

*coat*

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I suspect that Stat Bro is on a wind up in response to the thread about the £42+£1 WSL single ticket price for Milwall!

However, you can always get a ticket at ROH for about a tenner. You'll stand in the wings of the Ampitheatre with a "restricted" view (meaning you'll be able to see about 20% of the stage, but the whole of the tops of the heads of the orchestra in the pit), but you'll be able to hear everything. That's not a bad deal for t'opera, but pretty rubbish for ballet!

23 times a year? Nope - but I do go about 15 times a year, generally paying £60-100 a pop for half decent seats. Public money subsidy is eye-watering. If there was no subsidy, I reckon the top price tickets would be close to £400.... seriously.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you go more than once a week/fortnight to the opera? Do you read reviews about the performance beforehand?
If I wanted too I could as I would pick the price point I could afford and make that money available.
If I still couldn't afford it and The Royal Opera House was happy with it's pricing structure then I wouldn't be able to go.

Besides, if you are not fussed about not watching 'upper tier' or not quite so famous opera, then you can bag tickets for as cheap as £8 at the magical Glyndebourne.
Or Lewes FC.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Doesn't sound too bad a for special outing. Weren't they charging about £120 for Springsteen at the O2, or was that someone else. Seems a reasonable comparison to me. I wouldn't mind going to an opera out of curiosity - I loves a bit of Mozart, me, the ballet holds no interest for me though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Alan Brazil, on Classical Fm this morning, said The Royal Opera House had run out of money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alan Brazil, on Classical Fm this morning, said The Royal Opera House had run out of money.
I think that was the case about 100 years ago.

Not surprised at those prices :lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
£25 to watch Premiership football, Cardiff v Everton, but I have decided on £95 to watch England v Australia at The Oval on Wednesday instead.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If I wanted too I could as I would pick the price point I could afford and make that money available.
If I still couldn't afford it and The Royal Opera House was happy with it's pricing structure then I wouldn't be able to go.

Or Lewes FC.

Lewes FC is hardly comparable to Glyndebourne Opera House.

Besides, can't you just accept that some people feel football is expensive/overpriced and will complain? As it is, I'm not just complaining, I'm voting with my feet.

Feel free to be happy with what you pay, I'm not stopping you from having an opinion. However, it seems that those who complain are shouted down as being tight or boring or poor or what-have-you.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I loves a bit of Mozart

Try The Marriage of Figaro or Cosi Fan Tutte then. Light, comic opera by the genius who was Mozart. If you like it, then try Rigoletto (Verdi) - totally breathtaking and includes the famous aria "La Donna e Mobile" ("Woman are fickle" or "The Bird's got a Motorbike", take your pick) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3zetSuYRg, an orgy, unrequited love, adultery, murder, kidnapping, jealousy & rape. Corrie with music.

I know that I'm gonna come in for stick, this being a footie forum and all, but I just love opera. When it's done well, it's just the most brilliant totally immersive experience. Do try it!

I'll leave ballet for another day (well, ok - try Romeo and Juliet as a starter)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Try The Marriage of Figaro or Cosi Fan Tutte then. Light, comic opera by the genius who was Mozart. If you like it, then try Rigoletto (Verdi) - totally breathtaking and includes the famous aria "La Donna e Mobile" ("Woman are fickle" or "The Bird's got a Motorbike", take your pick) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3zetSuYRg, an orgy, unrequited love, adultery, murder, kidnapping, jealousy & rape. Corrie with music.

I know that I'm gonna come in for stick, this being a footie forum and all, but I just love opera. When it's done well, it's just the most brilliant totally immersive experience. Do try it!

I'll leave ballet for another day (well, ok - try Romeo and Juliet as a starter)

I have a shed-load of classical / operatic misc on my various iPods and listen to it a lot, just never been to an opera.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have a shed-load of classical / operatic misc on my various iPods and listen to it a lot, just never been to an opera.

The experience is very different to just listening to it. If you like it on your ipod, you'll love the real thing, I (nearly) promise.....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
As long as I won't be the only one at Lewes FC next season i'll be happy

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Blimey, I didn't realise there were so many posh people on this board.

Pavarotti liked both football and opera. If it was good enough for him, it certainly is for me too :wink::thumbsup:

As an aside, does liking something posh people like (such as opera) automatically make you posh? Genuine question. *sigh*, I guess it might. Bugger.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here