Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton spend another 15 million

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
on Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. having spent 12.5 million on a Celtic player that takes them up to over 27 million on two players. Anyone else shocked at them being in a position to spend this sort of money? Seems that they are serious in going for a top 6 place which I laughed at when I read it last season.

I may lack imagination but I just can't see the Albion spending that sort of dosh on players after just one season in the Premier League. Are Saints being funded or do they actually have that sort of money to spend from income?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23750101

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looks a quality signing that one . Looks like they are in for a good season . Personally find it pretty enjoyable as I know how much it's winding up Pompey .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Finishing bottom of Prem gets £63m...each place upward..add on 800k-£1m ish....reckon Saints could break into that mini league from 12th up to 8th. So income will be up to £75m.
Manager has probably been given war-chest of £35m. So not surprised. Bring in quality not quantity in PL. Maybe one more to come, circa £8-£10m.
Folks, its a different planet to the Championship.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Its not really too surprising as the owner is a billionaire and mid table teams such as Norwich and Sunderland have also been spending what could be perceived as high amounts of money for their position.

They have made three top quality acquisitions in Lovren, Wanyama and particularly Osvaldo who has really improved his game in the last couple of seasons at Roma and i am a big fan of his. It will be really interesting to see how he fares in the Premier League, the football contrast between Rome and Soton will certainly be different, the chances will not be so forthcoming at Soton as they were at Roma.

It must be an exciting time to be a Soton fan, and although i don't support them it is nice to see a club doing well in the south and makes a change to the usual doom and gloom amongst the regions football teams.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Finishing bottom of Prem gets £63m...each place upward..add on 800k-£1m ish....reckon Saints could break into that mini league from 12th up to 8th. So income will be up to £75m.
Manager has probably been given war-chest of £35m. So not surprised. Bring in quality not quantity in PL. Maybe one more to come, circa £8-£10m.

Bearing in mind where Stains were three years ago, it proves that you don't have to rip your fans off to achieve the premier league.

They bought proven championship players and have then last year have added players who are good enough to enable then to compete in the Premier League.

Because they have sensibly built year on year, they are probably back to their true position. However, with sound investment there is no reason why we can't emulate them.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila

This although think 12th is about right

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Good luck to them, I personally think they are a decent club, like someone says the owner is very wealthy, they've bought a quality player and I hope it gets them further up The Prem.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't really see that signing these two indicates they're aiming for top 6, at least not yet.

At the beginning of last season, I could not see any way they would stay up, but they did easily and played some very nice football. The second season is usually harder, but it already seems that they will have a good chance of staying up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't really see that signing these two indicates they're aiming for top 6, at least not yet.

At the beginning of last season, I could not see any way they would stay up, but they did easily and played some very nice football. The second season is usually harder, but it already seems that they will have a good chance of staying up.
The second season should be harder if everyone improves.

But there's so much dead wood dross in the Premier League you can virtually sow up another season before Christmas, knowing you have a further 12 points still to come.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Bearing in mind where Stains were three years ago, it proves that you don't have to rip your fans off to achieve the premier league.

They bought proven championship players and have then last year have added players who are good enough to enable then to compete in the Premier League.

Because they have sensibly built year on year, they are probably back to their true position. However, with sound investment there is no reason why we can't emulate them.

You do however have to rip off St Johns Ambulance, the Police and a host of local businesses, when you go into administration.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I liked Southampton before Cortese/Adkins moved in, mainly Le Tissier, but certainly players like Van Gobbel and his ilk. I hadn't been subjected to many of their fans before we both went great guns for the title. Granted you only remember the incredibly arrogant/delusional ones, but there seemed to be a lot of them. I enjoyed our little temporary battle.

I wish them no ill, since we have parted ways again. I would rather someone challenges the perennial bores like Liverpool or Everton or Arsenal or Spurs for the hallowed fourth spot.

Nice mix of youth and flair it seems.

Good luck to them.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I have a Saints supporting friend who insists the target for this season is top 4 :lolol:

He says they should push now whilst teams like Everton, United, City, Stoke, etc, are changing their managers. :ffsparr:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Which Southampton didn't do (if that's what you're insinuating).

They didn't go into administration?

Or before or after going into administration they paid all their debts in full?

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I have an incredibly smug Saints-supporting mate. If it wasn't for him, I think I'd probs be ok with them. The one area of the team they appear to have neglected is defence. The midfield and attack is very strong with the likes of Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Lallana, Lambert and now Osvaldo. They're still playing Fonte though and Boruc is sometimes brilliant, sometimes dreadful. Surely they could have got in a really decent defender and maybe a gk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here