Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Priestfield days

theboybilly

I was talking to a Gills fan today about away games and stuff and he told me that he didn't have much time for Brighton as Gillingham had 'helped the Albion out in it's darkest hour yet the Brighton fans trashed the stadium, caused untold bother in the town and generally weren't good tenants'.
I didn't go to Gillingham, it was before my time, but this conversation prompted me to ask for your thoughts/memories of those days.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Well, I can inform you that he is talking out of his arse.
We paid for their ****ing stand, all for the pleasure of going to that absolute shithole every fortnight.

Oh and Paul Scally is a ****

Trashing anything in Gillingham would lead to £££ of improvement.

"AGAIN-we'll never play you AGAIN"

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hm. I would say a more accurate summary would be that we paid over the odds to share the ground, financed the subsequent improvements, and the few thousand of us that ever went were well behaved and only too keen to get away from the place quickly after the final whistle. Never saw any bother.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was talking to a Gills fan today about away games and stuff and he told me that he didn't have much time for Brighton as Gillingham had 'helped the Albion out in it's darkest hour yet the Brighton fans trashed the stadium, caused untold bother in the town and generally weren't good tenants'.
I didn't go to Gillingham, it was before my time, but this conversation prompted me to ask for your thoughts/memories of those days.

We certainly didn't trash the stadium, and local pubs were happy enough to have twice as many games a season. Not forgetting the 300k a season to fund Gillingham's squad. In summary, your Gills mate sounds either very misinformed or a ****.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY

As someone who lives 5 miles from Priestfield. I can confirm that the gills fan you was talking to, was as usual spouting a load of shit.

Hm. I would say a more accurate summary would be that we paid over the odds to share the ground, financed the subsequent improvements, and the few thousand of us that ever went were well behaved and only too keen to get away from the place quickly after the final whistle. Never saw any bother.

This is indeed closer to the Truth/

I wonder if this Gills Fan agrees with Scally's delusion, that the Gills deserve to play in the Prem ????

theboybilly

As I said it was before my time. He is still a Gillingham regular and made it sound that the animosity towards not only the Albion but also our fans was a common opinion in the area. I can hopefully come back at him with the stuff about ground improvements etc. Whether he'll listen is another thing.:shrug:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
As I said it was before my time. He is still a Gillingham regular and made it sound that the animosity towards not only the Albion but also our fans was a common opinion in the area. I can hopefully come back at him with the stuff about ground improvements etc. Whether he'll listen is another thing.:shrug:

For 'animosity' read 'jealousy'.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Scally was the ONLY club chairman who would offer us a ground to play at, ok, so he took money from us, so would ANY club have done, had any club have offered us the option. Unpalatable as it may sound, but without the option to play at Priestfield, where exactly could we have played? Regardless of cost Portsmouth said no, Crawley COUNCIL said no, Millwall said no. We were in a fix.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
For 'animosity' read 'jealousy'.

Very much THIS.

A Gills work colleague of mine actually blames the council for Gillingham not being able to sustain a push for the Prem, as they will not allow Scally to build a new Stadium. Despite Scally being unable to prove how he is going to fund said project.
He actually told me that their fight for a stadium is similar to ours. I just laughed at him & told him he didn't have a clue.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
The landlady of the Roseneath pub wrote a letter to the Argus as a thank you to the Albion fans who frequented it.

WOW Why in gods name did fans go all the way to the Roseneath ??? its no where the stadium or the train station.....It certainly wouldn't of been my choice. Personally I always drank in the Livingstone

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The landlady of the Roseneath pub wrote a letter to the Argus as a thank you to the Albion fans who frequented it.
The landlady of The Cricketers put on a farewell buffet after our last game at Priestfield as a thank you to Albion fans. She said she preferred Brighton fans over the locals so I guess the Gills fan is spouting shite.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
WOW Why in gods name did fans go all the way to the Roseneath ??? its no where the stadium or the train station.....It certainly wouldn't of been my choice. Personally I always drank in the Livingstone

How do you put up with living in Medway? I have very close family in Rainham and i cant stand the area.
Thats coming from a Newhaven resident!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The landlady of The Cricketers put on a farewell buffet after our last game at Priestfield as a thank you to Albion fans. She said she preferred Brighton fans over the locals so I guess the Gills fan is spouting shite.

She is a good judge of people!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I won't any sleep about what a gillingham fan thinks.

After Croydon, it's one of the most depressing places in the south of England and in all fairness, if our lads had smashed up the place, then it would have been a vast improvement on what they have.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gillingham were two divisions above us at the time I think and were totally disinterested in the Albion. Probably a bit of green eye from the fan you spoke to given how dramatically things have changed for both of us. I never saw anything that came close to trashing things in the stadium from Albion fans and. I spent way too much time in that depressing shithole. Parking outside the ground and Jamaican patties from the chippie are about the only decent things I remember of Gillingham in those days.

theboybilly

I drove back from Faversham on Thursday via the old A2 to drop someone off in Chatham after a nice lunch at a country pub. The comments on here about the Medway Towns are of the nail-on-the-head type. The area is truly dismal. Just like most South London boroughs now

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Very much this...talking to her and she said Brighton fans were the best she had ever had at the Cricketers and there was never any trouble with them. The only trouble I had at Gillingham was a spotty youth kicked my wing mirror off and a steward knocked my disabled wife off her feet. Remember Bellotti was Scally's best man at his wedding...Crooks together...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here