Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Frank Worthington

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Whilst reminiscing with a friend about Albion players of the past, we remembered Frank Worthington in the stripes. I wonder if any of the stattos out there can remember exactly when he played for us?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
84/85 season. Cattlin wanted him for another year but he went off to Tranmere and took Ian Muir with him from memory...He was fantastic, Worthington I mean.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
frankworthington.jpg

He didn't really play in the stripes, unless we are talking pin stripes. Just one season for the Brighton. 1984/85.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
i remember one game we beat Wolves 5-1, he scored 2 i believe and was amazing. We amazing for an impresionable 9 or 10 year old

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
One of Huddersfield's sons.

Magnificent player and I was in heaven when he joined. He was an absolute joy to watch and had tremendous skill and balance.

He knew my father well and we spent quite a few evenings in pubs reminiscing about Huddersfield in the old days.

I met him a few years ago whe I was last in Huddersfield looking up family.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I suppose Berbatov would be the modern day equivalent, for the younger fans who weren't even born then. Even though he is 4 years younger than Frank was when we got him.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Fantastic skills and vision, but his legs had gone when he came to us - he could thread a ball through the eye of a needle, but wasn't quite quick enough any more to follow it every time. He did show up all the rest of the team as complete donkeys by comparison.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I agree with all of the comments regarding his brilliance. I remember that although he could hardly run, he was quite simply the most skillful player on the pitch. He seemed to waltz around players half his age in a Wardyesque or Vicente style. Simply a wonderful player to watch.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
84/85 season. Cattlin wanted him for another year but he went off to Tranmere and took Ian Muir with him from memory...He was fantastic, Worthington I mean.

Ian Muir was utter gash in the few games he played for us. When he left for Tranmere, he couldn't stop scoring goals.

boik

Fantastic skills and vision, but his legs had gone when he came to us - he could thread a ball through the eye of a needle, but wasn't quite quick enough any more to follow it every time. He did show up all the rest of the team as complete donkeys by comparison.

I'm sure I can remember him doing keepy-uppy during one match, which completely p1$$ed off the opposing players. Proper character.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm sure I can remember him doing keepy-uppy during one match, which completely p1$$ed off the opposing players. Proper character.

Yes, that's true. Haven't a clue which match though and thanks Kev for the year, can't quite believe it was that long ago.

I remember standing next to him in the gents at Charlton. He had his head against the wall and a bottle of Scotch sticking out of his coat pocket. There was a story about him being stopped for DD early one saturday morning with the Albion playing that afternoon. Pure class!!!!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bit of a Vicente really in that he was a class above the other players around him. He sprayed balls around and nobody else in the team at the time could see the spaces and openings that he could. Quite superb.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I was working with some Notts Forest supporters in 79. Apparently Shilton left Leicester (pre the Forest triumphs, when Leicester were a more succesful club) to go to Forest, because Frank was servicing Shilts wife.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here