Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Car insurance query

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My missus has bought a new car recently and we are in the process of selling the old one, we have a multicar policy for mine and her new one and the old one is currently sitting on our drive uninsured.

We have a viewing for the old one this afternoon and I would like to take to the garage for a run, tyre pressures etc but obviously it's not insured.

She is still the registered keeper so my question is, if she gives me permission, can I drive it on my policy covered third party as I am fully comp? Even though there is not a policy held on the old car?

Hope that sounds clear enough?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hmm, I know that you can drive a car that you're not insured on 3rd party if you're insured on another car fully comp, but I don't know whether the car you drive has to have an insured driver on it. My guess (stress guess) would be that you'd be ok, since the driver of the car (you) will be insured to drive it on your other policy (3rd party).

Why not dig out your multicar policy and have a look at the terms, or give your insurer a call?

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
I'm sure if u drive your partners car on your insurance, I.e. third party..

The car needs to be insured as well by your partner!

I had friend doing this to drive sports car after a drink and drive ban, car was insured by his mum :glare:

D

Deleted User X18H

My missus has bought a new car recently and we are in the process of selling the old one, we have a multicar policy for mine and her new one and the old one is currently sitting on our drive uninsured.

We have a viewing for the old one this afternoon and I would like to take to the garage for a run, tyre pressures etc but obviously it's not insured.

She is still the registered keeper so my question is, if she gives me permission, can I drive it on my policy covered third party as I am fully comp? Even though there is not a policy held on the old car?

Hope that sounds clear enough?
On the drive uninsured? If you own a vehicle that is not SORN you have a legal obligation to insure it at least ' third party only'. Does you own policy allow DOC.Do you have a insurable interest?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My policy says I can drive another car 3rd party with permission, what I'm unsure of is whether the car I need to drive has to have a policy on it or not.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
correct it needs to be insured by someone for your insurance to cover you

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Why would I need to insure it? It's our choice, if it gets nicked or stolen then its our tough luck, no legal obligation at all, it still has tax on it so can be parked on the road if need be.

D

Deleted User X18H

Why would I need to insure it? It's our choice, if it gets nicked or stolen then its our tough luck, no legal obligation at all, it still has tax on it so can be parked on the road if need be.

It needs to be insured if it is legally owned and not registerd off road.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Pretty sure you wont be insured, even if as you say, you have a policy that covers multiple vehicles. Your policy will only cover the other vehicle if it has a policy of its own that covers it.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Thanks for that gents. Looks like I'm going to have to sort some temp cover out on it.

Bugger.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Why don't you phone up insurance for free 7 days drive away insurance..

I done this when buying my last car with Norwich union, dvla want cars on road to be taxed and insured that's there terms

Funnell

Jan 10, 2012
Unfortunately you can't. For the third party driving other cars extension to apply the vehicle you are driving must have its own insurance. Presumably because it won't show on the motor insurance database if it doesn't.

D

Deleted User X18H

Get you car insured say in the unlikely event (but that is what a fortuitous loss is) it rolls off the driveway hits a vehicle passing your drive. Who pays? What will that amount to. Death? Six figures ? Who pays. Who goes inside for culpable neglect? Think about it.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
It's not anywhere, disconnected the battery so it can't get stolen, drive is flat, handbrake is on and have bricks under wheels in case it ever does fail and to stop the handbrake binding.

My missus works for the police at the speeding ticket office in Shoreham and has spoken to several of her traffic police friends and they have all said that I would get pulled over as the ANPR would get triggered but it wouldn't be a problem as I can produce insurance documents to prove I am insured.

It's all a bit of a grey area so I am not taking the chance, I tried to phone my insurer but got fed up of being in a queue on the phone. I'll try again after I've eaten lunch. I only want to put 3-4 bar into the tyres. Not go on a road trip.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I hope you mean PSI. Tyres normally have around 2 bar in them, stick another 4 in and the car will be very difficult to control.

Yes I did mean PSI:facepalm: I work in bar at work and got confuddled in my head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here