Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saints - youngsters

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just watched match of the day and they were talking about Saints fielding three 18 year olds yesterday at West Brom. Their left back looks quality. Good to see.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I know we've had our issues with Southampton over the last few years... Me as much as any considering where I currently live.

However they really have a great set up as a club at youth level and a great attitude to giving the players a chance at first team level.

Clubs like Southampton should be how we should model certainly our academy and general attitude to home grown talent.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I know we've had our issues with Southampton over the last few years... Me as much as any considering where I currently live.

However they really have a great set up as a club at youth level and a great attitude to giving the players a chance at first team level.

Clubs like Southampton should be how we should model certainly our academy and general attitude to home grown talent.

I can't think of another club that get even close to producing the talent that they do through their youth set up. Crewe have a good go too but nothing like to Stains scale

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Can't wait until our academy gets up and running. With Gus and his track record, I'm not sure the 'youngsters' would have been blooded too early. With Oscar, I think his policy is completely the opposite. Youth will thrive under him.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I can't think of another club that get even close to producing the talent that they do through their youth set up. Crewe have a good go too but nothing like to Stains scale

???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You don't even come close to the quality of players Saints have produced, off the top of my head Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlain and Bale. Who have your produced who has actually made an impact in the Premier League?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
the general footballing consensus is that Southampton are the only club that have come anywhere near to trying to emulate what United did all those years ago.

I have a lot of respect for them. Any club that produces home grown talent should be as such, it's a rare thing nowadays.

I hope they get top ten this year, I think they could just scrape in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Watched them literally outclass our development squad earlier this month, it literally was a footballing lesson......

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Watford (until they became Udinese B) and, in fairness, Palace both have excellent youth set ups and bring players through - well, Watford did - not any more.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

Got to agree with this they really do have some talented youngsters. If they could keep all their talent they would be right up near the top of The Prem. Something for us to follow with our new academy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here