Colourised historic pictures...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
But I love black and white.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Really enjoyed those. Whilst black and white is atmospheric the colour does give us an impression as to how things really looked.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We need the key moments of Brighton and Hove Albion history colourised!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Picture 15 is dated incorrectly. Should be 1914 i guess. The uniforms are ww1 not ww2 and the western front was a term from the Great War also.

That's a superb website.

I particularly like Stanley Kubrick's photos of New York, taken in the 1940s.

http://twistedsifter.com/2011/12/stanley-kubricks-new-york-photos-1940s/

photographs-by-stanley-kubrick-look-magazine-life-in-new-york-40s-23.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Picture 15 is dated incorrectly. Should be 1914 i guess. The uniforms are ww1 not ww2 and the western front was a term from the Great War also.
Hmm, not sure. Tin hats ('originally called 'Brodie helmets' after the man who invented them) weren't introduced until late 1915. Also in WW2 it was referred to as the 'Western Front', certainly colloquially by the soldiers because the war was going to be fought (they thought) on the same battlegrounds as WW1. (Likewise the army was called the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) as in WW1). Sadly the ground weapons and tactics were about the same as 1918 as well.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So who here had the Photoshop skills?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Hmm, not sure. Tin hats ('originally called 'Brodie helmets' after the man who invented them) weren't introduced until late 1915. Also in WW2 it was referred to as the 'Western Front', certainly colloquially by the soldiers because the war was going to be fought (they thought) on the same battlegrounds as WW1. (Likewise the army was called the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) as in WW1). Sadly the ground weapons and tactics were about the same as 1918 as well.

You obviously don't know your uniforms as I do! I can understand why the untrained eye might see little difference between the two wars. Go do some googling and you'll see. Pretty obvious if you take a closer look. I think the fact someone's used western front as a description and then put date as 1939 is likely because they were thinking about ww2 at the time. We all do it sometimes, write something different to what we intended because we're thinking about something to do with at the time. But anyway, it's a mistake - see if you can spot!

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I doubt if the BEF would have departed as late as that in 1914. Also in 1914, the western Front had not yet been established.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've never seen that photo of Elizabeth Taylor before. She was a damn fine looking lady.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here