Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tailgating and lane hogging motorway fines started today.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Not in favour of more regulations but this has been a long time coming.

bad1c761-aa01-4cd5-b50b-b262807905b6_750_750.jpg

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Not in favour of more regulations but this has been a long time coming.

It's always interesting how people who aren't in favour of red tape, regulations etc, suddenly become in favour of them when they address one of their own favourite hobby horses!

Like some right wingers who are always against regulatory interference in free markets etc, except when it comes to controlling immigration; in that case they want as much interference as possible.

On this one, I can see the case for dealing with tailgating this way (which is always dangerous IMO), but I'm less convinced about 'lane hogging' which can be a matter of judgement.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
It's always interesting how people who aren't in favour of red tape, regulations etc, suddenly become in favour of them when they address one of their own favourite hobby horses!

Like some right wingers who are always against regulatory interference in free markets etc, except when it comes to controlling immigration; in that case they want as much interference as possible.

On this one, I can see the case for dealing with tailgating this way (which is always dangerous IMO), but I'm less convinced about 'lane hogging' which can be a matter of judgement.

Agree with both of your last statements.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Tailgating Yes; but middle lane hogging?? Are folk supposed to mix it on the criminally-rutted inside lane with the nose-to-tail trucks & dozy caravan haulers then. Sod that for a lark. All it will lead to is more people in the outside lane pathetically attempting not to get nicked for tailgating (again). Brilliant.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wankers who brake first and then indicate is one of my pet hates

I refuse to use the inside lane on most motorways, it's almost like driving cross country. I will move over to let two faster cars in the middle and outside lane past but then I'll pop straight back out again into the middle lane.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Taolgating Yes; but middle lane hogging?? Are folk supposed to mix it on the criminally-rutted inside lane with the nose-to-tail trucks & dozy caravan haulers then. Sod that for a lark. All it will lead to is more people in the outside lane pathetically attempting not to get nicked for tailgating (again). Brilliant.

Thinking about it though i would imagine lane hogging is also a notice to tailgaters that, that particular excuse is going to have be accurate because action has been taken.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree with many - for tailgating yes, no excuse and very dangerous, but can't see how it'll get enforced for lane-hogging. I think someone going at a good speed in the middle lane is better than people constantly switching between slow and middle lanes. The less lane switching the safer.

When I drove to Brussels recently it was bliss, everyone drove at about 75mph so there was pretty much no need for lane changing.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thinking about it though i would imagine lane hogging is also a notice to tailgaters that, that particular excuse is going to have be accurate because action has been taken.

Well I ride a motorcycle & mostly avoid the inside lane like the plague. Perhaps I'll just ask the copper that will inevitably nick me (for using the middle lane) if he or she fancies a go on my bike - amongst the awful ruts & loose tarmac - & show me how it's done. :wink:

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very subjective and difficult to prove:
How long is 'hogging'?
What distance is 'tailgating'? At what speed?

Going to be some serious court cases and where does the onus of proof lie?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Well I ride a motorcycle & mostly avoid the inside lane like the plague. Perhaps I'll just ask the copper that will inevitably nick me (for using the middle lane) if he or she fancies a go on my bike - amongst the awful ruts & loose tarmac - & show me how it's done. :wink:

I used to be a motorbike courier in a previous life you should only be using the outside lane anyway, no ruts, little standing water, no hanging about.:shrug:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
How long is 'hogging'?

I would imagine that the highway code would be used as a guide for tailgating. After all, it is what people follow when learning to drive and getting their license

I expect it would only used in cases which are clearly dangerous (such as about a car length away at 70mph)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Isnt lane hogging similar to persistant standing in the north stand - up to the police/stewards interpretation and enforced to make a point when its not busy

How long is 'hogging'?

Lane hogging is going to be defined as half a mile in the middle lane, which equates to less than 30 seconds at normal motorway speed.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lane hogging is going to be defined as half a mile in the middle lane, which equates to less than 30 seconds at normal motorway speed.

I see your point about the 1/2 mile, but this distance will have to be proved along with the matter of 'a safe place to manoeuvre' back into the inside lane. With constant flow of traffic and both lanes doing the maximum 70, I do see technical issues.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I see your point about the 1/2 mile, but this distance will have to be proved along with the matter of 'a safe place to manoeuvre' back into the inside lane. With constant flow of traffic and both lanes doing the maximum 70, I do see technical issues.
The police cars would record such driving so the courts would be able to see offence, think it would have to be quite blatant for them to prosecute in the first place,

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Surely tailgating only occurs because of lane hogging

Almost always true.

Can I suggest that everyone buys a Skoda Fabia? Mine has such excellent suspension that I have never once had serious problems with surfaces on motorway inside lanes. The rear view mirrors are very good too, allowing me to move between lanes as appropriate without problem to me or other drivers.

(And for what it's worth the fuel consumption is such that it can often achieve the magic averages of 60mpg/60mph on the 240 mile journey between north Lincs and Mid-Sussex.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here