Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dictionary update on the use of the word LITERALLY...

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Since when did Radio 1 DJs molesting youngsters become 'historical'?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
C
With NSC being a hive of pedantry, I noticed in the news that the for years misused word 'literally' has had its definition updated to allow its use in phrases like 'I was literally tearing my hair out...', to add emphasis, as well as its formerly literal meaning, to tell the truth...

I remember listening to a few ding dongs on the subject, usually around a table in a pub :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-admits-used-wrong-sense-word-literally.html

Check out the pics of Luisa Zissman on the Daily Mail femail today section of the weblink.
Literally fit as! :thumbsup:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Fascinate is another word that sometimes gets used wrongly.
My mate Paddy was asked to use the word in a sentence. He came up with...... "I have a Donkey Jacket, it has nine buttons, but i can only fascinate"

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Fascinate is another word that sometimes gets used wrongly.
My mate Paddy was asked to use the word in a sentence. He came up with...... "I have a Donkey Jacket, it has nine buttons, but i can only fascinate"

I'm fascinated by your mate Paddy's use of the word fascinate.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
The use pedantry or membership of the Grammar Police on forums serves only to gob off about how clever one is. Whilst their victim or even just casual observers usually form the opinion that the self imposed peer is not only rude but LITERALLY a prat !

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What are Private eye going to do for Larfs now? They will literally be going apeshit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here