Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dictionary update on the use of the word LITERALLY...

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
With NSC being a hive of pedantry, I noticed in the news that the for years misused word 'literally' has had its definition updated to allow its use in phrases like 'I was literally tearing my hair out...', to add emphasis, as well as its formerly literal meaning, to tell the truth...

I remember listening to a few ding dongs on the subject, usually around a table in a pub :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-admits-used-wrong-sense-word-literally.html

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
This story has literally made me explode with anger.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
As an Oxford man, I now feel like disowning the Oxford English Dictionary.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Will the change the meaning of the word "dictionary" too? Because they should.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm upset by this development.

Picking up on people's misuse of the word is one of my 'things'. It's what makes me such a popular bloke.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
With NSC being a hive of pedantry, I noticed in the news THAT THE FOR YEARS MISUSED word 'literally' has had its definition updated

Why not FREQUENTLY misused or OFTEN??

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I was like literally so pissed off at this. 'I was like' is my most hated term used today, you were not 'like' anything you bellend why not just say what you were feeling instead of adding this pointless term on the beginning of everything you say?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I was like literally so pissed off at this. 'I was like' is my most hated term used today, you were not 'like' anything you bellend why not just say what you were feeling instead of adding this pointless term on the beginning of everything you say?
Don't worry. Just give it a few years and "I was like" will be considered, like, (upward inflection) correct?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I heard Charlie Brooker use the word invite as a noun recently. That was the final straw for me, it's obviously now acceptable to just give up and join in with incorrect language usage because if you do it enough the dictionary bods will just accept it.

Next there'll be an entry on SHOULD OF

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
So now, how do you say/write something when you want to say literally if it now has this double meaning.

"Jamie Redknapp, the Sky TV pundit, once said of the Manchester United footballer Wayne Rooney that he was “literally on fire”. - So what if Wayne Rooney really was (literally!!!) on fire, how would you articulate this so to not be speaking figuratively?

Stupid decision. A definitive example of dumbing down.

Does figuratively now have an equally ambiguous meaning as well?

As above, "should of" is quite useful component of the stupid-person-detector :D

Some English spelling/grammar is important to get correct, some is better to get correct (esp in more formal settings) and some isn't important. In other words, we should all have the basics right. It matters that you get there/their/they're correct but it really doesn't matter if a preposition is something you end a sentence with. ;)

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title

:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Invariably is another, now seems to be used to mean often.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here