Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there were no FFP, who would we be signing?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bearing in mind so far we have only signed capped internationals, players with Premier League experience and young prospects.
Lets not forget we are a second division side, albeit with a great stadium in a nice part of the country, but nevertheless we are only one of 24 second division teams.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I don't think it would make any difference, I think we just don't have the cash to flash any more.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think it would make any difference, I think we just don't have the cash to flash any more.
An £8m loss means there's no cash flow, and evidence suggests in this division there never has been any cash flow.
Flow implies money 'at both ends', whereas it's more like 'how bigger debt are you prepared to carry'.

My point is because of FFP people seem to think the club is selling itself short in the transfer market.
Even though the quality of signings so far have more than enough pedigree for second division football.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
IMO FFP is a very good excuse for TB to be able to cut costs and run the business sensibly without getting stupid flack from fans for lack of player investment.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We'd be signing midfielders who played in the Prem but were injury prone like Orlandi - i.e. Agustein
Ireland's BEST PLAYER to lead the midfield instead of Vicente or Harley - i.e. Andrews (who most of the board wanted recently but was too good for us)
A starting LB with international and Prem experience who's MUCH better than Shorey or Mattock - i.e. Ward
A back-up LB who's younger and an upgrade on Painter - i.e. Chicksen
A back-up DM who's younger and an upgrade on Dicker - i.e. Ince
TRY to resign 100% of our expirings who would make bench or better - i.e. AE-A and David

Job done let's all pat the club on the back for achieving every goal already with 2 weeks to go plus doing so within FFP what we MIGHT manage to do without it

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would Swansea have offloaded Agustein or given him another year if fit?
Would Andrews and Ward be available without FFP? Doubt it.
Would Chicksen have been held onto for another year to try and increase in value before they sold him?
Would someone have spunked ridic money on AE-A or David?

Expect some of these players wouldn't be here without FFP so it's possibly worked very well for us (a sensibly run club with largest attendance in the division and in a wealthy area of country)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I imagine our wage bill is pretty high and Remy, Upson, Andrews and Ward are all likely to be on hefty wedges. It's not all about transfer fees.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
IMO FFP is a very good excuse for TB to be able to cut costs and run the business sensibly

I agree with this statement. And yet, TB has said that he "won't be happy" with a league finish outside the top 6. Given that there will be teams with parachute payments, others who look for as many loopholes in FFP as possible to maximise their on-the-pitch budget and (probably) still other teams that will simply ignore FFP in an all out attempt to get promotion and figure out how to appeal any fine/transfer embargo later, the chances of us securing a top 6 place this season while adhering strictly to the letter and the spirit of FFP are surely diminished?

Is it possible that strict compliance with FFP and promotion are mutually exclusive for the next couple of years until FFP is properly bedded in and all teams are compliant?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We'd be signing midfielders who played in the Prem but were injury prone like Orlandi - i.e. Agustein
Ireland's BEST PLAYER to lead the midfield instead of Vicente or Harley - i.e. Andrews (who most of the board wanted recently but was too good for us)
A starting LB with international and Prem experience who's MUCH better than Shorey or Mattock - i.e. Ward
A back-up LB who's younger and an upgrade on Painter - i.e. Chicksen
A back-up DM who's younger and an upgrade on Dicker - i.e. Ince
TRY to resign 100% of our expirings who would make bench or better - i.e. AE-A and David

Job done let's all pat the club on the back for achieving every goal already with 2 weeks to go plus doing so within FFP what we MIGHT manage to do without it
But clearly none of these players are good enough for the Albion.

I can't help thinking in some peoples eyes any signings other than Bale Rooney and Suarez would be disappointing.
Curse that FFP, and Barber-out.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Bearing in mind so far we have only signed capped internationals, players with Premier League experience and young prospects.
Lets not forget we are a second division side, albeit with a great stadium in a nice part of the country, but nevertheless we are only one of 24 second division teams.
what you mean by this Lets not forget we are a second division side

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But clearly none of these players are good enough for the Albion.

I can't help thinking in some peoples eyes any signings other than Bale Rooney and Suarez would be disappointing.
Curse that FFP, and Barber-out.

Rooney? Over-rated and over the hill.
Suarez? More trouble than he's worth.
Bale? Could do a job, I suppose.

There's a couple of blokes in Spain who might just about do, I guess - Ronaldo (but he's too vain, surely) & Messi (too short for a player in the English leagues.)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
what you mean by this Lets not forget we are a second division side
We're a second division side playing in the second division of English football.

We have so far attracted 4 players with Premier League experience, 3 of which are internationals, and a promising young'un.

But to many you'd think FFP and Barber-out is holding the club back.

Hence the original question:-

Who would you expect us to sign?

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bloom mentioned way before any talk of FFP that he wanted to make the club self sufficient and implied he wasn't prepared to cover spiralling losses once we got to the Amex. Baring that in mind I think we'd have seen these changes both to the playing side and administration side regardless of FFP after losing 8 million.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here