Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Away Attendance Then And Now..

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I attend Albion away matches in the Midlands and generally trips around the three hour mark. I don't bother with local matches or ones too far away. It's because I like a nice day out, but I don't like to be in a place swamped by Brighton fans. In short, I'm a bit of a loner and happy with it.

Back in the 90s I used to travel to away matches and at best there was only a few hundred Albion supporters, a lot of the time 300 or less (even in the 90/91 Play-Off season). We might top 1000 in London. Since then though, it seems that away attendance has grown rapidly. I'd be really interested to know why this is as it seems to be true across the board.

Travel costs have increased above inflation (petrol prices etc) so why the spike in away attendance ? I don't get it. Thoughts ?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Withdean being a very poor home football experience certainly meant many fans preferred to watch the team away. Be interesting to see how long it sticks now we have The Amex.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
A couple of thoughts - maybe the "fan activism" that erupted in protest at the actions of Stanley/Archer/Belotti re-ignited the passion for a number of supporters? There is nothing like the prospect of losing something to make you realise how much it means to you.

I can't remember if there was any sense of preferring to travel to away games during that period, rather than support a regime that seemed intent on killing the club. But certainly, during the Gillingham and Withdean eras, I wouldn't be surprised if some fans actually chose attending away games over the less-than-satisfying home experience.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I attend Albion away matches in the Midlands and generally trips around the three hour mark. I don't bother with local matches or ones too far away. It's because I like a nice day out, but I don't like to be in a place swamped by Brighton fans. In short, I'm a bit of a loner and happy with it.

Back in the 90s I used to travel to away matches and at best there was only a few hundred Albion supporters, a lot of the time 300 or less (even in the 90/91 Play-Off season). We might top 1000 in London. Since then though, it seems that away attendance has grown rapidly. I'd be really interested to know why this is as it seems to be true across the board.

Travel costs have increased above inflation (petrol prices etc) so why the spike in away attendance ? I don't get it. Thoughts ?

i think that as it was so hard to generate an atmosphere at withdean that the lads who loved a good old sing-song realised that they would have to do away games where they could all group together and not be spread out amongst women , kids and numerous pensioners..............i have noticed on my limited trips to The Amex that this is still relevant to a degree , perhaps the club could think about re-allocating seats .....i.e family/u 12 's areas , pensioner seating and rank and file fans who want to make a racket.......not sure if it would work but it is a bit sad to see/hear a hard core of 3-400 lads in the northstand making all the noise .... as i said i haven't been to many games but you feel a bit inhibited singing and shouting when you are sat next to a mum with her two under 10's.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Albion away support isn't only travelling up from Brighton and Sussex , fans are dispersed all around the UK. At northern venues you'll hear Yorkshire , Lancashire and Midlands accents from kids and young adults wearing the blue and white stripes and they are part of the BHAFC family. Go to The Riverside this season and you'll find Brighton fans who talk like Gordon Greer that have ventured down from over the border.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's not just away attendances, home audiences have exploded since the PL era across the divisions.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells

It has to be remembered of course that we were pretty pants throughout most of the 90s!! I remember going to watch the Albion play Charlton (when they were playing their home games at Upton Park and Selhurst Park) on both occasions there were barely more than 6-700 I'd have said. Equally though, when we played Bolton away in the FA Cup in 1992(?) we had about 1500. There was clearly no rhyme or reason.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I was at Darlo away March 97 with a turn out of at least 600 BHA in a gate of 2298 which for a bottom of the4th Division was an amazing turnout.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The Albion away support isn't only travelling up from Brighton and Sussex , fans are dispersed all around the UK. At northern venues you'll hear Yorkshire , Lancashire and Midlands accents from kids and young adults wearing the blue and white stripes and they are part of the BHAFC family. Go to The Riverside this season and you'll find Brighton fans who talk like Gordon Greer that have ventured down from over the border.

This.
Many like me used to live in Brighton but have long moved away.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think the whole 'away day' has improved for fans now as well. Gone are the days of the 70's and 80's when it was (I imagine) quite a hostile experience going to some away grounds or even towns/cities.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
i think that as it was so hard to generate an atmosphere at withdean that the lads who loved a good old sing-song realised that they would have to do away games where they could all group together and not be spread out amongst women , kids and numerous pensioners..............i have noticed on my limited trips to The Amex that this is still relevant to a degree , perhaps the club could think about re-allocating seats .....i.e family/u 12 's areas , pensioner seating and rank and file fans who want to make a racket.......not sure if it would work but it is a bit sad to see/hear a hard core of 3-400 lads in the northstand making all the noise .... as i said i haven't been to many games but you feel a bit inhibited singing and shouting when you are sat next to a mum with her two under 10's.

You don't seem to have to been to many games at all. There's as many women, kids and pensioners ratio to lads at away games as there are at home

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Parking my car near to The Riverside just before the Boro v Albion game last season I chatted with some fans wearing the stripes (Father and young son) who told me they had driven down from their home in Northumberland. At Barnsley I met an Albion fan who lived in the West Country, had been to the Amex two days earlier (in spite of the horrendous snowy/icy weather) then to Oakwell and back - and would then be back at The Amex 4 days later. I'm fairly lucky being here in East Anglia but its still an expensive an time consuming pastime and these people must rack up some serious mileage and fuel bills.

I manage to do many away games but it is a serious investment especially when you are driving to Blackburn (twice!), Bolton, Huddersfield, Leeds, Barnsley, Sheff Weds :)lolol:) Boro, Hull plus nearer away games like Posh, Leicester, Ipswich, Watford and London clubs etc etc so I have deep respect for those that manage even more away trips. That's before you add in 330 mile round trips to from The Amex for home games.

What impresses me about our exiled long distance away fans is that they have remained loyal Albion fans and their kids haven't been distracted by Man U etc. Good on them.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I quite liked it when we where shit !

know what you mean. In the trenches, winning a corner was an achievement and getting a point was the stuff of dreams. Looking out for Jack Straw and the A21 minibus and seeing another Albion car on the Mway was an event. Players recognising individuals and speaking.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That little bright yellow Fiat Seiciento with an Albion sticker in the rear window and exchanging friendly waves with the occupants was always a welcome sight on the motorway in the depths of Yorkshire etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It has to be remembered of course that we were pretty pants throughout most of the 90s!! I remember going to watch the Albion play Charlton (when they were playing their home games at Upton Park and Selhurst Park) on both occasions there were barely more than 6-700 I'd have said. Equally though, when we played Bolton away in the FA Cup in 1992(?) we had about 1500. There was clearly no rhyme or reason.

I went to all those Charlton/Bolton games and there is no way imo we had 1500 at Bolton. Charlton at Selhurst we had maybe 1000 out of 6000. I agree with you that we didn't take many to Upton park though, when Sir Garry scored in the first minute. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here