Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Salt beef

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where is the best place in the Brighton area to buy Salt Beef. I like it cut by hand off a joint of beef but most supermarkets have a very regular shaped piece that they slice like Ham and to me that is tasteless. I do occasionally salt it myself but that takes some time and if I decide I want some today or tomorrow in a sandwich that is no good.

Where is the best place in the Brighton area to buy Salt Beef. I like it cut by hand off a joint of beef but most supermarkets have a very regular shaped piece that they slice like Ham and to me that is tasteless. I do occasionally salt it myself but that takes some time and if I decide I want some today or tomorrow in a sandwich that is no good.

Asda.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

North stand middle kiosk.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Debs Deli in the North Laine.or is it called something else now? They used to sell the best Salt beef this side of Golders Green.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Debs Deli in the North Laine.or is it called something else now? They used to sell the best Salt beef this side of Golders Green.

Wet on yell.com and couldnt find it listed or indeed any deli in North Laine. I found one called The Laine Deli in Trafalgar St but that appeared to be a coffee/sandwich shop not a proper deli.

Unfortunately nowhere in Brighton or Hove does proper salt beef, NY, kosher style. We go to Reuben's near Baker St, London. Absolutely divine.

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
You could always make you own salt beef. It is not that hard.

You just need to make up a brining solution of salt, sugar, saltpetre and flavourings, and steep a cut of beef in it for a week or so. You can do several cuts at the same time as the beef freezes well.

Saltpetre can be a little hard to find, but you can get it from places on the 'net that sell sausage making supplies. You don't need much (about 50/100g a time)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Has the sandwich bar gone from the bottom of Edward Street? They used to do some quality stuff.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Used to live in Whitechapel and love salt beef and potato latkes. Sadly unheard of in the midlands. I'm surprised they are in short supply in Hove though - I seem to remember being almost in the minority in my class at school in not being jewish :lol:
Has it changed so much over the intervening 50 years?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Do you mean Bierderbecks? If so it's gone. There's another one a bit further down, which may well be the one you mean.

I meant Bierdebecks. Had some great sarnies from there when I was on jury duty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here