Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NBC To Show every Premiership game in the States!?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Anything which pisses off Glenn Beck (that well known liberal radio host and Fox News presenter) and proves him wrong has to be a good thing. He didn’t like the World Cup and he certainly doesn’t like soccer

“I don’t get the baseball thing, but the soccer thing, I hate it so much —probably because the rest of the world likes it so much, and they riot over it, and they continually try to jam it down our throat… It doesn’t matter how you sell it to us. It doesn’t matter how many celebrities you get. It doesn’t matter how many bars open early. It doesn’t matter how many beer commercials they run. We don’t want the World Cup. We don’t like the World Cup. We don’t like soccer. We want nothing to do with it. You can package it any way — you can spend all kinds of money. You can force it on our television sets. We will not enjoy the World Cup.”

America managed to keep it out for years but the tide is turning. The fact that the major networks provided full World Cup coverage and that the bars were packed (not just with expats and Latinos) proved you well and truly wrong mate.

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Since we're not going to be on tele I'm not really fussed and won't be watching. Good for those who's teams are up there though I spose if living abroad or something and can't get to games

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I like to watch Premier League games when I can, but refuse to pay for them. Initially felt robbed when I read this info, but then again, streaming options should be good.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I instantly thought of that Jim Rome fella. Some ignorant man with a terrible goatee. He'll be spinning in his not-yet-dug grave.

Watch his videos if you can, he is insatiable.

ads52

Jul 31, 2011
It does seem crazy to me that we won't get the ability to watch these games via pay tv or terrestrial in the uk..especially given that in these times we can stream it anyway!!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Anything which pisses off Glenn Beck (that well known liberal radio host and Fox News presenter) and proves him wrong has to be a good thing. He didn’t like the World Cup and he certainly doesn’t like soccer

“I don’t get the baseball thing, but the soccer thing, I hate it so much —probably because the rest of the world likes it so much, and they riot over it, and they continually try to jam it down our throat… It doesn’t matter how you sell it to us. It doesn’t matter how many celebrities you get. It doesn’t matter how many bars open early. It doesn’t matter how many beer commercials they run. We don’t want the World Cup. We don’t like the World Cup. We don’t like soccer. We want nothing to do with it. You can package it any way — you can spend all kinds of money. You can force it on our television sets. We will not enjoy the World Cup.”

America managed to keep it out for years but the tide is turning. The fact that the major networks provided full World Cup coverage and that the bars were packed (not just with expats and Latinos) proved you well and truly wrong mate.

It definitely growing in popularity and access in the US, for whatever reason - albeit slowly, but is hghly unlikely to ever challenge the "big 4" US sports. This guy sounds like a bt of a knob.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Watching the Liverpool Stoke game now. NBC seem to be making a good job of it so far. They had Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe as the half time commentators.

D

Deleted member 18477

Watching the Liverpool Stoke game now. NBC seem to be making a good job of it so far. They had Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe as the half time commentators.

Watching on BT sport! Very impressed with their coverage so far. It's def a lot better than Setanta and ESPN ever did.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Earle was "calling" all the Timbers matches last season I think. He's obviously gone national.

Oh, and the idea that the USA doesn't like/get soccer is at least a decade out of date.

It definitely growing in popularity and access in the US, for whatever reason - albeit slowly, but is hghly unlikely to ever challenge the "big 4" US sports. This guy sounds like a bt of a knob.
The only sport it is unlikely to challenge is their football which in terms of TV audiences dwarfs everything else. Already, the WC Final outdraws baseball world series games on TV and even a run of the mill qualifier against Mexico will be watched by more than the typical Stanley Cup game 6. In 10-15 years, people will be talking about the big 5 sports, and I imagine hockey will be 5th.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Watching on BT sport! Very impressed with their coverage so far. It's def a lot better than Setanta and ESPN ever did.
Same here. Can't complain when it's free either. Thanks BT. Now, see if you can make your broadband good too!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Oh, and the idea that the USA doesn't like/get soccer is at least a decade out of date.
I was referring to TV coverage in the States, the interest has always been there – do keep up!

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Not every game is being shown live every week. On the last day of the season every game will be shown live. Today we have 2 games, tomorrow the same. The rest get summarized on a prem league show.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
So are you still a Metro or are you going get to that new team in NY (or the Cosmos)?

Still following the Red Bulls, waiting to see what happens with NYC FC and Cosmos. I think it really comes down to who can get their promised new stadium built first, probably NYC as they have the backing of Man City and the Yankees. I’d prefer to see Cosmos succeed – but money talks – still, interesting to see baseball owners hedging their bets and backing the ‘opposition’ as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here