Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does One Direction's new song sound like The Who

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Does One Direction's Best Song Ever sound too similar to The Who?
The One Direction fan world has been unintentionally educated about The Who's back catalogue after music critics compare the two bands.

The Telegraph

(fast forward to 2 minutes)

Last edited:

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Why would your average 13 year old girl know anything about the The Who's back catalogue of music?

The irony of being a teenager is while you're trying to look cool, hip, trendy and cutting edge and not be like your 30/40 year old father/mother. It's that 30/40 year old father/mother that is marketing and selling this utter dross to you as a teenager.

Teenagers don't you just love them. Teenagers: thick as pig s*#t and will empty your wallet (if you let them) in a heartbeat.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well the intro is a direct ripoff...

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Does One Direction's new song sound like The Who.
Of course it doesn't. They may have tried to but failed spectacularly. One Direction is evidence that the kids of today can be brainwashed into buying any old crap. They don't even have a tenth of the talent of The Who.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think that the more music there is the harder it is to make anything original.

There's only so many different ways you can play three chords...

Or four chords:

[yt]5pidokakU4I[/yt]

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I think that the more music there is the harder it is to make anything original.

:ffsparr:
Clearly you're no musician, and if you were you've obviously never tried to play any of The Who's music.
There are 33 different chords in Pinball Wizard alone.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Yeah sure. But at least TRY. The producers of this song knew EXACTLY what they were doing. They just didn't give a shit because they know a) it'll make millions anyway and b) it's so difficult to sue that they'll not have to worry!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
:ffsparr:
Clearly you're no musician, and if you were you've obviously never tried to play any of The Who's music.
There are 33 different chords in Pinball Wizard alone.

There are only 3 chords in that intro though... and I think MAX of 5 in the whole song. Just sayin....

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Yep. 3 Chords is all you need......

Pinball Wizard Chords.png

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
Does One Direction's new song sound like The Who.
Of course it doesn't. They may have tried to but failed spectacularly. One Direction is evidence that the kids of today can be brainwashed into buying any old crap. They don't even have a tenth of the talent of The Who.

After 47 years the two surviving members of the Who are still performing and the songs from that time are fondly remembered. In the year 2058 who on earth will remember One Direction. They will survive for a couple of minutes until the next manufactured band comes along. I don't think kids are brainwashed into buying crap. The stuff served up for them and the singles chart is all utter crap so not a lot of choice.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Yeah sure. But at least TRY. The producers of this song knew EXACTLY what they were doing. They just didn't give a shit because they know a) it'll make millions anyway and b) it's so difficult to sue that they'll not have to worry!

The Rolling Stones sued for 100% of the royalties for the Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony'. I imagine Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend will be taking 1D to the cleaners.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
The mere mention of the words 'One Direction' in the same sentence as The mighty Who is like an insult to Daltrey, Townshend and co., I couldn't bring myself to listen to the One Direction 'song'

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Did they sue successfully?

Won't be 1D who get sued anyway, it's not like they wrote the song.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not a terrible song, but the skit at the beginning is utterly excruciating.

Possibly explained by the writing credit for James Corden at the end of it.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here