Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guernsey FC fans 'far too nice', says captain

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Guernsey FC captain Sam Cochrane says the team's fans should stop being "too nice" by applauding opposition goals.

"The social side of the game often draws people in as much as what's happening on the pitch. We're representing Guernsey, we're there to win and we need as much help as we can get

"But during the 90 minutes most fans like to get the noise and chants going and players often acknowledge how tough it is playing in a hostile atmosphere. As long as that stays on the right side of the line there's no harm."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23696553

I think Greer needs to have a word with a few at the Amex to be fair..

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sometimes it is justified. Fat Ronaldo at Old Trafford, Ronaldinho for Barca vs Real Madrid several years ago, Hooper vs Brighton in 2008.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
There is nothing wrong with clapping an oppositions goal if it was a good goal or it meant something. I clapped Newports second goal last Tuesday as it was very good. The opposition clapped Billy Sharp's goal that he dedicated to his son.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Seem to remember an amazing goal scored by Oldham Athletic at the Goldstone once which stunned the North Stand into applause. 90/91 I think.

Edit: Appears not to be Oldham Athletic. Maybe it was Swindon Town. Anyway the guy hit it from about 40 yards.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I grew up in Guernsey (my family still live there). As they have (until GFC were formed a couple of years ago) had no league football or competition outside the island then nearly all games against outside opposition are friendlies with touring sides which are pretty social. Same is true in other sports. The only exception to this is the Murratti, played against Jersey, and believe me nobody claps or cheers anything the Crapeaux do.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Sometimes it is justified. Fat Ronaldo at Old Trafford, Ronaldinho for Barca vs Real Madrid several years ago, Hooper vs Brighton in 2008.

There was another striker at the Withdean who was immense, I think it was the crock who retired at a young age recently for West Ham? I remember clapping Hoskins off for Bristol Rovers when we played them away too..

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Never worked out why some feel the need to applaud the away fans attendance at the Amex ffs I really couldn't give a shit if they bring 3 or 3000.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I remember applauding Rooney on his third and Stoke on their fourth and fifth.

I don't quite understand the dynamics of football support. I would much rather just sing something uplifting as opposed to boring stuff or not so funny 'banter'.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Never worked out why some feel the need to applaud the away fans attendance at the Amex ffs I really couldn't give a shit if they bring 3 or 3000.

I think the East Stand clap and the rest are split between low-level booing, indifference and gentle applause.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I don't get why the North Stand clap the East and West stands when the "we're the [east/west] stand" song gets started. What are you all applauding them for?

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I was at GFC last night as working in guernsey, v Horsham, they lost 0-1, bit unlucky, but 1400 crowd, great noise as well. I think you should ask the Horsham Bench if it was nice and friendly as they were getting awful stick by the locals. The ground is like Withdean, only problem was a wasps nest that got disturbed and loads of fans got stung, including me 5 times, q headline from the Guernsey press, 'GFC stung by Hornets'. There is nothing wrong in my book in applauding good play etc, it is sport you know !

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If you need fans to get you up and about for a match then you shouldn't be playing. Sport by nature is a competitive pursuit. If every time you step out onto the pitch and you aren't pumped up to win then leave the sport.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I think I've only applauded an opposition goal once and that was when we lost at home to Port Vale 4/5 years ago.
They had already been relegated (I believe) and Danny Whittaker scored an absolute corker from 30/35 yards out. Quality goal.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Any one remember Andrew Crofts wonder Goal for Gillingham at Withdean in 2008 being applauded by the Home fans , mind you we were 4-1 up at the time .

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I remember cheering a Barnet Goal at withdean, i think we were 3 maybe 4 up and they scored towards the end.

there fans that night were singing we're shit and we no we are. I think this helped in this situation

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Seem to remember an amazing goal scored by Oldham Athletic at the Goldstone once which stunned the North Stand into applause. 90/91 I think.

Edit: Appears not to be Oldham Athletic. Maybe it was Swindon Town. Anyway the guy hit it from about 40 yards.

Apart from the fact that Oldham and Swindon are at opposite ends of the country, and one plays in blue and the other in red, it is easy to get the two teams confused.

Should have gone to Specsavers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I joined in with the ironic cheering of Rooney's third for Stoke. The only one I can remember instinctively standing to applaud was Ishmael Demontangac's absolutely WORLDY for Walsall at Withdean.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here