Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Laptop help

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Hi clever techies out there. I have a Dell laptop which is about three years old.When I plug in the charger, it only charges for about 30 seconds then stops.If I unplug the charger from the laptop and plug it back in, I can get another 30 seconds or so. I've patiently done that for the last half hour and punted it up to 31% capacity. Does it sound like a charger problem, battery, or laptop problem. Any sensible contributions welcome. I have, of course, switched it off and on again!

Jul 7, 2003
Hi clever techies out there. I have a Dell laptop which is about three years old.When I plug in the charger, it only charges for about 30 seconds then stops.If I unplug the charger from the laptop and plug it back in, I can get another 30 seconds or so. I've patiently done that for the last half hour and punted it up to 31% capacity. Does it sound like a charger problem, battery, or laptop problem. Any sensible contributions welcome. I have, of course, switched it off and on again!

To check the charger, unplug the battery and then try to run it off the mains alone. If it stays up then it is likely to be a battery issue.

If you are on your original battery then it would be due for replacement anyway after three years. Shop around as original Dell batteries are very expensive - Duracell direct sell good quality replacement laptop batteries at reasonable prices. Be very wary of buying replacements batteries on both eBay and Amazon. Lots of Dell batteries for sale that are not totally compatible so check the feedback.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
To check the charger, unplug the battery and then try to run it off the mains alone. If it stays up then it is likely to be a battery issue.

If you are on your original battery then it would be due for replacement anyway after three years. Shop around as original Dell batteries are very expensive - Duracell direct sell good quality replacement laptop batteries at reasonable prices. Be very wary of buying replacements batteries on both eBay and Amazon. Lots of Dell batteries for sale that are not totally compatible so check the feedback.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply-appreciated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here