Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some football finance blogger and his opinion on Brighton & FFP

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Despite their worrying losses, the general consensus around the club is positive. It appears that fans are happy to ignore the financial state of the club and only focus on team's league performance. Admittedly I am a little shocked by the Official Supporters Club's opinion on the whole issue. Stefan Swift, editor of the fanzine 'The Seagull Review", was quoted as saying "the stadium is so good and the fans have never had it this good"

Someone better tell Liz she has been usurped by a fanzine editor (and all round good egg).

I love the way he has taken one comment about the stadium to suggest WE do not worry about the parlous state of financial affairs in football and our club.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Inaccurate & dull
Our revenues for 3 seasons ago are irrelevant now we have had two expansions & sell extra STs and corporate for ever more, while the exceptional expenses incurred building this capacity are one offs. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No shit Sherlock springs to mind !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fixtures. Seems like it's written by someone who knows very little about the Albion, and with an axe to grind. Apparently Barber's the one doing all the spending. :facepalm:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It would be nice if the person who wrote it put their name to it. It would also be nice if they had included some of the measures that the club have introduced to cuts costs and increase revenue and mention that it is our Chairman's wish that the club becomes self-sufficient and how FFP is at the forefront of everyone's thoughts at the club.

So all in all, a crock of poo.

Aug 23, 2011
Surely the penultimate paragraph is key:

"It is only fair to highlight that, being the year they finally moved into their Amex Stadium, the club have incured exceptional costs of £9.4m (£7.5m in 2011 to £16.9m) credited to the cost of furnishing their new digs. If I were to set this to one side then the club would have been in the black, just."

So if we are just in the black without these exceptional costs then surely we don't have too much to worry about or am i reading it all wrong?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
IF you think FFP is bad now wait till it hits the EPL next year, R5 Live last night reckoned that last season was the one to get promotion from before it gets really difficult. After next season EPL teams can't make more than a 45M loss and even then the rules for European competitions will hit some clubs.

The inference seemed to be you needed to go up last season to be able to spend before the rules change the following season. Presumably meaning that not only are we going to find it hard to spend to go up this season but we have to cut expenditure but even if we went up we have to stick within another set of budgets or we won't be allowed to buy any players or will get hit with a fine. In other words your stuck with virtually the squad you have now this season & next plus development players or perhaps equivalent wage players if you do sell someone.

I can see why we sped up the additional seating and why we have made so many cutbacks as the extra money in and the money saved is going to try and cut the 9M loss we made. Its not going to be easy to either fund further expansion to allow increases in wages / squad without over sailing the budget and apart from selling players you do wonder where we can get more income from - I can see exactly why Paul Barber was brought in, not only can he cut a budget but he also has good contacts to bring in more corporate sponsors. Even with his input we are trying to cut losses and the ceiling Gus referred to might be this financial one.

This blog might be right in its prediction but not for all the right reasons. More importantly I can see why possibly we wanted Oscar over Gus and why we may have been even more disappointed in not beating Palace (and going up) last season than some think.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Someone better tell Liz she has been usurped by a fanzine editor (and all round good egg).

I love the way he has taken one comment about the stadium to suggest WE do not worry about the parlous state of financial affairs in football and our club.

I used to work with Stefan. Nice chap. Didn't realise he was responsible for TSLR.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Surely the penultimate paragraph is key:

"It is only fair to highlight that, being the year they finally moved into their Amex Stadium, the club have incured exceptional costs of £9.4m (£7.5m in 2011 to £16.9m) credited to the cost of furnishing their new digs. If I were to set this to one side then the club would have been in the black, just."

So if we are just in the black without these exceptional costs then surely we don't have too much to worry about or am i reading it all wrong?

They don't know what they are talking about. What they are calling "exceptional costs" is the increase in administrative expenses (less staff costs). Some of it may well have been one-off expenditure related to the move, but a whole lot of it is simply the ongoing cost of running the Albion and the stadium. For instance, I'm guessing the travel subsidy is included in this figure (unfortunately the club does not provide any sort of itemisation of these non-staff admin expenses).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here