Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting comments by Andrews on our passing

...in the Argus today: "The lads have been saying we probably chased it a little but too much and sacrificed the style of play the club are used to playing. We were playing a little bit possibly too direct at times and it's something we're going to work on back on the training ground"

So I think this pretty much confirms the comments made by quite a few on here after the game on Saturday that our passing was sub-standard rather than part of some great new tactical plan to create chances through more direct play.

Let's hope the work on the training ground goes well - as Keith Andrews says, it's needed.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I guess it's a very delicate balance of play that Oscar is looking for. Still keep the passing to a high standard (as previously) but also move it forward quicker, but not via long balls.

Patience is going to be needed before it works in symmetry. When it does then....oh boy!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
In addition, as has been highlighted elsewhere, I'm sure when Bridders is fit this will help knit the distribution together as the back four seemed hesistant to put the same amount of trust in Ince when he was under pressure, as they would have with Liam against Derby.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
If you play the passing style of game we have become used to, you rely heavily on the movement of players off the ball to create the passing option. We have a number of players new to the team who may have to get used to the way we do that - even if they have played in 'passing teams' before.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I guess it's a very delicate balance of play that Oscar is looking for. Still keep the passing to a high standard (as previously) but also move it forward quicker, but not via long balls.

Patience is going to be needed before it works in symmetry. When it does then....oh boy!
Long balls are fine once in a while, just not as the default method of moving forward. Some quality teams score goals by playing the long ball - remember Klose's first goal against England in the last World Cup?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
...in the Argus today: "The lads have been saying we probably chased it a little but too much and sacrificed the style of play the club are used to playing. We were playing a little bit possibly too direct at times and it's something we're going to work on back on the training ground"So I think this pretty much confirms the comments made by quite a few on here after the game on Saturday that our passing was sub-standard rather than part of some great new tactical plan to create chances through more direct play.

Let's hope the work on the training ground goes well - as Keith Andrews says, it's needed.

So even the team agree we were hoofing at times on Saturday :wink:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I thought we'd died when I read the title thread. Thank goodness we haven't. And let's hope the medium/long range passing begins to improve.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Didn't help that Kuszczak was playing stupid passes to a player on the wing who was given a difficult ball to control and due to its long flight time Derby players had time to close the player down immediately, that's when the ball didn't go straight into touch

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I hate this assertion that you can only play a shor passing game or a long ball game, there are variable styles of play and different levels of each can be used. Just because a few more direct balls have been played doesn't autmoatically mean we are becoming a long ball team.

Didn't help that Kuszczak was playing stupid passes to a player on the wing who was given a difficult ball to control and due to its long flight time Derby players had time to close the player down immediately, that's when the ball didn't go straight into touch

Agreed, those little lofted balls to the full back who was immedaitely under pressure were very strange. Kuszcack's kicking has always been a bit suspect mind.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I hate this assertion that you can only play a shor passing game or a long ball game, there are variable styles of play and different levels of each can be used. Just because a few more direct balls have been played doesn't autmoatically mean we are becoming a long ball team.

Agree, we need to come away from our predictable style of play and mix it up intelligently as a unit to keep our opposition on their toes.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sometimes they are the right ball to play. But he did not execute the passes very well at the weekend. I hope he keeps practicing and keeps trying them.

Indeed, there was a game last season, I can't remember which one, in which our opponents pushed right up tot he edge of the area, so kuszczak dinked them out to bridge and Bruno who were on the line a little further up field. It was quite cute, and on that day, accurate. I don't know why they didn't continue to do that occasionally in other games.

Agree, we need to come away from our predictable style of play and mix it up intelligently as a unit to keep our opposition on their toes.

Andrews said "sacrificed the style of play the club are used to playing". That clearly means Andrews and the players want the style the club are used to playing. People like you crying out for big changes are very misguided.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
In addition, as has been highlighted elsewhere, I'm sure when Bridders is fit this will help knit the distribution together as the back four seemed hesistant to put the same amount of trust in Ince when he was under pressure, as they would have with Liam against Derby.
Unfortunately Ince's position is pivotal in how we try to play. The young fellow is still learning the game, and it all seems a bit frenetic when he gets the ball off of the back four. I'd like to see Andrews play that position until Liam is fit and firing again.

Ince will be terrific in a couple of seasons time, but for now that position needs filling by a calm, experienced passer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here