Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cuba

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Anyone been on holiday there recently ? ... considering going in November for about two weeks
Any recommendations on area or hotels appreciated
Been told there are two currencies and it can get confusing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been twice, but about 10 years ago. I went for two weeks in Havana and Trinidad and then a few months later back packed all over the island for 3 and a half weeks with London Calling and Cesar Chavez which was excellent fun and quite an adventure and involved many bizarre happenings like driving the Santa Clara-Santiago inter-city train and having a speech read out at one of them huge rallies they like to do. Anyway, I do not feel qualified regarding the logistics as it has changed dramatically since I went but I'd suggest if you have two weeks base yourself in Havana as there is plenty to do and see in the city and try and get out to Vinales valley on the western end of the island as it is truly stunning in itself but also a nice drive. And please do not be scared by offers to eat at people's houses (they're called paladars) but try and get a recommendation if you can; get talking to other tourists and find out where to go or do some research before you go as lots of blogs with details of good friendly ones. I went to some absolutely amazing places and one family put on a huge lobster feast for us. It is also a fantastic way to see family life in Cuba and they all make a real fuss over you.

Enjoy.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Paradisus Rio de Oro was the top rated on Trip Advisor when we went out of 150, wonderful relaxation, 4 'world' restaurants & incredible buffet. Half Cuban, half Spanish run. Great value 5 stars at almost half price of rest of quality Caribbean as no Yanks to push prices up

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm planning to go in January/February so will watch this thread, please come back and share your experience as well OP.

Jan 21, 2012
I went to Varadero about 5 years ago and i have to say it was one of the nicest holidays we've been on. We stayed at the Sandals resort out there. It's a bit of a trek from the airport though (about two and a bit hours on a coach). We went on a day trip to Havana though and it was amazing to see the proper culture and the market etc. Fantastic place to go and you certainly won't be dissapointed. I'm always saying to people they should go to Cuba, it really is a wonderful place to go on holiday.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I didn't stay in any hotels per se. It was a wondeful experience to stay in residential houses, effectively B&Bs. If they are full, the owners tend to move you in to their room and go and stay with friends (I found). Worth doing some research in to those sorts of places. It really does give you an added experience of the place.

Vinales is great. I hired a moped to whizz about on. There is a hotel near the village/town with a pool and you can pay to use that and it has a bar with more Cristal (beer) than you can shake a stick at.

I got the train down to Santiago de Cuba from Havana (long, but fun) and then a bus to Baracoa (Eastern tip of the island). There's not a huge amount in Baracoa, although there are some nice beaches and a lively nightlife, but I made friends with some Cubans and they took me out on road trips during the day.

I ferried it over to Isla de Juventud, which is a fascinating place. The only hiccup on that front was a long delay on the ferry and we (me and two random backpackers) ended up arriving at 1am with no place to stay. After walking for hours, we eventually got picked up by a random car and they rented out a room for us. We then found our way to the B&B we had planned to stay at. Fascinating island with a chance to have a look at prisons of the revolutionaries. We flew back to Havana on a rather decrepit plane (see below), which was an experience in itself.

An-2-1411Koning1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baracoa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viñales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Cuba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_de_la_Juventud

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Clapham Old Mug (on here) owns/runs a hotel out in Cuba, so he might be worth attacking for much better information.

There were three currencies when I went (2001). The dollar, the peso and the Cuban peso.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Had a brilliant time there back in April. Two currencies not an issue as Tourists get one and locals the other. The Cubans are paid their wages in the local currency and can only get hold of the other from tourists. They then spend the local currency on day to day living costs and the other for luxury items.

Very interesting country, hard life, those in the tourist industry are the richest people and it seems its becoming very lobsided as everybody gets the same salary whatever the profession but those in the tourist industry do very well out of tipping. Do your research some people got upset when the hotel had no butter one day, because of the enbargos and rationing nobody in the area had butter, you just get on with it. They didn't run out of booze though and on all inclusive you can get anything from the local stuff to the expensive stuff so no restrictions.

We stayed at Riu Playa Turquesa in in Guardalavaca http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...a_Turquesa-Holguin_Holguin_Province_Cuba.html, wasn't initially our first choice but it ended up a good one as it was away from the main hotel strip and had its own beach. Don't expect luxury that you would get in a Riu elsewhere in the world but we have no complaints whatsoever.

Enjoyed snorkeling, not as good as the Red Sea, but well up there, the recent hurricanes have destroyed a lot of the coral. Swimming with the dolphins was excellent as well. Visited a local village everybody very friendly.

Down side - loud fat wanna be American, Canadians are everywhere which was a shame as I was looking forward to a carribean island without the yanks and you also get quite a few Germans as well.

Oct 25, 2003
Anyone been on holiday there recently ? ... considering going in November for about two weeks
Any recommendations on area or hotels appreciated
Been told there are two currencies and it can get confusing

amazing place...probably the best holiday i've had (went a couple of years ago)

there is loads to do in havana, wouldn't bother with hotels as you can get great value staying in peoples houses (it's perfectly normal)...some will cook for you so your meals are sorted (cuban restaurants aren't anything special). I wouldn't stay in any resorts as you can get that anywhere, instead get stuck in to cuban life. The currencies aren't confusing for tourists...you just have a separate one from the locals and only ever use the tourist one.

The ice cream is AMAZING, there are plenty of street sellers around havana selling it. Don't buy cigars from people in the street, they tend to be fairly low quality (real ones are cheap as anything anyway). Sample the rum, it's probably the best in the world and really cheap. Often if people come up to you in the street, be nice, most of the time they're not trying to hustle you, but simply being nice (probably trying to sell you something as well...but mainly being nice). THings like muggings etc. are quite rare.

It is very different to life over here, and you do need to be patient with a few things. For example, the first night we got there the house we were supposed to be staying in had double booked...they arranged for us to stay at their mates house who gave us a lift there....perfectly normal in Cuba- as are blackouts. Central Havana is VERY busy...a lot of the buildings are stunning but crumbling so a lot of people spend much of the day on the beach.

As for sights....well have a go at things like the cigar factory and rum place...revolution museum is a bit of an eye opener (it's the old palace used by bautista and is now just full of propaganda)...the hotel national (stayed there for the last night) is where all the celebs go/have been. You can have a tour including, for example, 'the mafia suite'. Lots of people take a bus down to Trinidad which is a world heritage site....it's a small town with not a lot to do but it's very beautiful.

Since Raul took over, the country is slowly changing, so now is the time to go...hope i haven't missed anything

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you are going on the type of holiday me and Barrel Of Fun went on I recommend investing in Simon Calder's Cuba travel guide. He is an authority on the country.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What booking sites do you guys use to find long haul holidays?
I've had a look at Thomson and Last Minute but would be grateful to hear about any other websites which may be better?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What booking sites do you guys use to find long haul holidays?
I've had a look at Thomson and Last Minute but would be grateful to hear about any other websites which may be better?

Used Thomson a couple of time without an problem, we usually get an idea online and go into a shop with printouts of quotes and let them do some messing around to get what we want at the internet prices.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Went to Cuba for the Millenium 13 years ago and absolutely loved it although it may have changed a bit siince then. Primarily stayed in Varradero but also in Havanna. In Varradero swum with the dolphins, dined at the old Dupont Mansion which was a fantastic restaurant and dirt cheap, drank at Al Capones summer retreat most evenings.

Havanna is just wonderful like most have said dont forget the Hemmingway sites although even 13 years ago the Daiquiri 's in Floridita bar were expensive and a trip to the Tropicano is a must given a bottle of rum and 2 cans of coke when you enter is an interesting idea. We stayed in the old state run hotel (cant remember the name) used by the government and visiting dignitries a classic soviet influenced hotel.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Went there on honeymoon last year. Stayed in Guardalavaca and three days in Havana. Fantastic country and would love to go back. Recomendation: At the hotel you often get locals come up with their car to reception, we (along with another couple) hired a driver for day to go around the area, he took us to typical village went in and met his family, ate, tour of sugar plantation, rum factory, cigar factory. The chap wanted equivalant of £20 for the day.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Edit: One last point the ''airline'' we went on between Hoguin and Havanna was possibly the worst flight I have ever been on. The plane resembled something from the 1970's and needed to stop half way up the island to refuel!
It should have rung more alarm bells when I got on the plane that the boading cards were written on a peice of torn paper and the airliens website was xxx@hotmail.com (or simalar!)

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Went there last year, and loved it
Spent first 3 nights in Havana (Parque Central).........then down the country, stayed in Vinales valley....was interesting...tobacco plantations, and beautiful scenery
Then to Cayo Levisa, beautiful and very quiet tiny but relaxing island with an amazing beach, with only 1 hotel, before retuning to Havana for one more night

Old Havana is great to wander, side streets are interesting, and quite a lot of restoration was underway in colonial style
Has a good feel about the place, never felt threatened or intimidated, though touts try it on…a firm NO does the trick

In Cuba don’t expect great food…all the restaurants in the country are government run, however having very low expectations, we quite enjoyed a few of these.
However what you MUST NOT miss are the private restaurants called Paladars, these are wonderful, especially in the country, basically a few tables often out the back of private houses, serving wonderful Cuban food. Had the best ever whole Lobster on one occasion, for almost nothing
Havana has them too…ask in Hotel for local recommendations

In Havana old town…Great Cuban music in the evenings, in bars and some restaurants, with a different feel to day time.
Drink is cheap…cocktails like Mojitos and Cuba Libre are not to be missed….as are the cigars (but watch out for street vendors selling them….go to official shops instead)

Cars, what can I say, history for motor vehicles stopped in 1960!.......Buicks/ Chevy’s etc….. many are taxis, worth taking a drive around in these

Personally would avoid tourist traps like Tropicana, though the Bar where Hemingway frequented is interesting but often packed called Floridita

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I took a holiday there about nine years ago and it remains one of the greatest places I've ever visited.

Unfortunately, it being so long ago, I fear things have probably changed significantly. There's a different Castro in charge for a start. However one thing I do know is that you CANNOT miss out on Havana if you do go. The city is an absolute treat of 24 hour hustle and bustle that just oozes old world charm.

Entirely beautiful place with a truly unique way of life.

You could visit the luxurious beach resorts of Veradero but they might just as well be on Trinidad, Jamaica or the Bahamas so don't be tempted to waste your time there when you could be exploring one of the finest cities I've ever experienced.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I went 2 years ago to Guardalavaca. My son enjoyed it so much he went back last year with his girlfriend. Lovely place and so safe, Cuba has the lowest crime rate in the Western Hemisphere. I will certainly go back there again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here