Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Uhuru

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Did anyone go last night?

I'm going to Islington tonight. What were they like?

Haven't seen them since Jenkinsons in '83?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Isn't she the communications officer from Star Trek?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was there. No Sly and Robbie, which despite being a given was still a disappointment. In fact they've changed their line up so often you'd think Rafa Benitez was managing them.

It started slowly, and the crowd were quiet, but got better and better. I really enjoyed it - they finished with 'Guess who's coming to dinner...' and 'Sensimilia', by then the crowd was I full celebratory mode.

The second guy to take the Mic, possibly Ducky Simpson's son, was great, and made it a really good gig.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I was there. No Sly and Robbie, which despite being a given was still a disappointment. In fact they've changed their line up so often you'd think Rafa Benitez was managing them.

It started slowly, and the crowd were quiet, but got better and better. I really enjoyed it - they finished with 'Guess who's coming to dinner...' and 'Sensimilia', by then the crowd was I full celebratory mode.

The second guy to take the Mic, possibly Ducky Simpson's son, was great, and made it a really good gig.

It was my first time seeing them & I really enjoyed it. Wasn't quite up to the standard of The Congos there a while back but a good gig nonetheless.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

It was my first time seeing them & I really enjoyed it. Wasn't quite up to the standard of The Congos there a while back but a good gig nonetheless.

Cheers Guys!

Really looking forward to it, they were my favourite Reggae band back in the day. Hoping I can enjoy the current line up.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Who of Michael Rose, Puma & Duckie Simpson were left!? Wonderful gigs back 25/30 years ago in the Suite etc still got an 8 foot poster in my garage somewhere

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Jesus. They've been around forever. I remember seeing them in Liverpool (sly and Robbie did a drum & bass downbeat of "ticket to ride" which was IMMENSE) this was in 1985 or something like that.

I'd love to catch them again.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Who of Michael Rose, Puma & Duckie Simpson were left!? Wonderful gigs back 25/30 years ago in the Suite etc still got an 8 foot poster in my garage somewhere

Just Ducky. I hadn't seen them for over 30 years, they were my favourite reggae band back then. They still sounded great.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Met them backstage back in the 80s..Rose, Puma ....but like others have said, its not really Black Uhuru anymore, but from what ive heard, they are fairly decent still. Sly and Robbie were here recently with their own set, but they have always been fairly independent and not tied down to any particular band..
Met Chronixx last week, not sure what he thought of an old white man, walking up to him muttering 'here comes trouble, here comes the danger'...He is massive in Jamaica right now, but I think he is still a work in progress....certainly talented, but not quite there yet.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Jesus. They've been around forever. I remember seeing them in Liverpool (sly and Robbie did a drum & bass downbeat of "ticket to ride" which was IMMENSE) this was in 1985 or something like that.

I'd love to catch them again.

Islington tonight

'One Love' festival in Dagenham (I think?) this weekend

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Was a huge fan back in the day. Still have vinyl of theirs - great production from Sly and Robbie with his sticky bass. As said above, not really the same band these days, so gave it a miss. Push, push my all time fav, did they play that?

PG

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Was a huge fan back in the day. Still have vinyl of theirs - great production from Sly and Robbie with his sticky bass. As said above, not really the same band these days, so gave it a miss. Push, push my all time fav, did they play that?

PG

I don't remember that one?

I like 'puff she puff' though.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Great concert!

I didn't think much of IQURA (sp?), who took the vocals with the same backing musicians a Black Uhuru for about 40 minutes before Duckie & the other singers came on. There was a decent local band on before that.

All the Classics!

Shine Eye Gal, General Penitentiary, Guess Who's Comin to Dinner, I Love King Selassie, Solidarity.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here