Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Costa Rica

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
As NSC is an invaluable gold mine of reliable (snigger) information, I thought I'd ask for any advice on Costa Rica.

I have been offered a job over there and will be relocating at the beginning of September.

Has anyone visited or lived over there?

I will be living on the Nicoya Eninsula in a town called Tamarindo, on the Pacific Coast.

Also, any tips from any expats about relocating abroad in general?

Muchos Gracias :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't know anything about Costa Rica. However, how long would I have to train to be eligible to gain a job? I'd love to go there. It's on the hit list.

Actually, a friend lived there for a few months. I can fire him an email for top tips. I'm sure NSC will have that covered though.

Edit: Ah, architecture. Nice!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Almost half the Google images of Tamarindo produce rather pretty surfing girls.

You lucky, lucky *******.

life_brian_dungeon.png

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
i'm probably heading out there in Feb/March time to visit a mate who has been working out there teaching for the last 6 months - she loves it!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Come on NSC - sort it out. This Zamora chap has asked a perfectly
decent question and all he's got back so far is sh*te from you lot.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
San Jose's not all that and I avoided the Pacific Coast as I'd heard many of the beaches were overtaken by holidaying Americans, but I loved the Caribbean coast. Cahuita in particular was great; white sand beaches, rainforest, wildlife. Tortuguero national park was also very cool.

I'm sure living on the Pacific coast will be amazing though. Great beaches, climate, surfing, and excellent holiday opportunities inside and out of the country. I'm jealous.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Great place and great people! Was there on a 2 week holiday Apr/May this year....

We stayed in the Papagayo area which is 15 mins from Tamarindo.
Tamarindo is a buzzy livly area with one main street full of bars and retaurants leading dow to a great beach and bay.

Whilst you can eat & drink out fairly reasonably out there some basic essentials are VERY expensive! so might want to stock up before going or get regular packages sent out, whilst in Tamarindo we poped to the local mini mart kind of place (everything is Wallmart owned out there) as we were running low on shower gel only to pay $14 for the same size and shape bottle of Radox that we get here! anyway thats a negative....

A couple of must do's.....

1) Restaurant called Ginger's (google/trip advisor it) 2 minute cab ride from Tamarindo, Fantastic food and great atmosphere!
2) River Safari, go early and you will see various Monkeys, crocadile/aligator things (all look the same to me) birds etc...
3) Sample the local spirit 'Cacique' pronounced 'ca-see-kay'. for an added nice touch when ordering that will go down really well with the locals do a 'peace' or V sign with your fingers at put them at the back of your head! sounds silly but it is what they do and will love you for it!!

Any questions feel free to ask.

Regards

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
mainly a large expensive americanized 'eco-disney'.......unless your with the locals and then it is all crime and womanising.

due to mass humidity you will find some nice insects tho.....................with fangs.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
mainly a large expensive americanized 'eco-disney'.......unless your with the locals and then it is all crime and womanising.

due to mass humidity you will find some nice insects tho.....................with fangs.

excellent

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

There is a huge element of truth to this. It's Latin America Lite but that has its advantages. Safe to stay in and easy to get around. Great cloud forests and Arenal is certainly worth a hike. Visit some neighbouring countries.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Top generlisation. Sorry, generalization.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5883625 said:
As NSC is an invaluable gold mine of reliable (snigger) information, I thought I'd ask for any advice on Costa Rica.

I have been offered a job over there and will be relocating at the beginning of September.

Has anyone visited or lived over there?

I will be living on the Nicoya Eninsula in a town called Tamarindo, on the Pacific Coast.

Also, any tips from any expats about relocating abroad in general?

Muchos Gracias :)

Yes I've been on holiday. Beautiful.

Don't miss the national park and watch out for the crocodiles and American Tourists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here