Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thank you sooo much Mr.Barber for all you are doing for our club!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A few weeks ago l started a similar thread on here entitled 'Thank you sooo much GUS for all you have done for our club!, because l think overall he did a fantastic job. Just remember when he came to the Albion we were 21st in League One. Three and a half years later when he left, we damn nearly made it to the promised land of the Premier League!. That has to be progress by anyone's standards.

Well this a a new one for the benefit of Paul Barber. Just remember folks that Mr.Barber is here to do a job, a hugely unpopular job with the vast majority of supporters. He has been employed by Lord Sir Tony to try and save this club £8.5 million a year, and in an attempt to do this, virtually any decision he makes isn't going to go down well with us fans.

All l'm saying is, lets try to give the guy a bit of a break, much of the flak he receives on here is unwarranted and quite personal. I've had the good fortune to meet Paul a couple of times at social functions, he likes his pint of Harveys, and like us, is l think at heart, just another football fan. And just think, if he is successful, and any of that £8.5 million is ploughed back into the playing budget, then we can afford to sign one or two classy new players each season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mostly cheers, Paul/Tony.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
He's an ok guy. At least he responds to emails! (scowls at Marcus 1901 Club rep)

He's doing a job on terms set out by the board. They take all the important decisions. It's good to see the club with decent financial controllers on board.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
iTS A MATTER OF WHO YOU TRUST IN THIS LIFE
SO THAT WILL BE A NO FROM ME THEN

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Funny how when some people slag off the club they aim it at Barber personally, but when they're praising the club they aim it at TB, when they are essentially one and the same thing.

Exactly right. It's very daft.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
I had to write a letter today, explaining to some of my employees why I was having to cut some of their working hours.
When I was reading it back to myself, I realised that I had written it in the same style as one of PB's statments/interview answers. I was even reading it to myself in his voice!

JBenno OUT!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A few weeks ago l started a similar thread on here entitled 'Thank you sooo much GUS for all you have done for our club!, because l think overall he did a fantastic job. Just remember when he came to the Albion we were 21st in League One. Three and a half years later when he left, we damn nearly made it to the promised land of the Premier League!. That has to be progress by anyone's standards.

Well this a a new one for the benefit of Paul Barber. Just remember folks that Mr.Barber is here to do a job, a hugely unpopular job with the vast majority of supporters. He has been employed by Lord Sir Tony to try and save this club £8.5 million a year, and in an attempt to do this, virtually any decision he makes isn't going to go down well with us fans.

All l'm saying is, lets try to give the guy a bit of a break, much of the flak he receives on here is unwarranted and quite personal. I've had the good fortune to meet Paul a couple of times at social functions, he likes his pint of Harveys, and like us, is l think at heart, just another football fan. And just think, if he is successful, and any of that £8.5 million is ploughed back into the playing budget, then we can afford to sign one or two classy new players each season.

Good post. FFP means we can't spend money like Ken Brown, and still remain competitive and within the FFP cap of Tony's investment.

All Paul Barber is doing is ensuring the maximum possible playing budget, given the shackles of FFP.

It's such an important part of our strategy to reach the premier league, and as such I think he deserves support for the job he does.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
He's an ok guy. At least he responds to emails! (scowls at Marcus 1901 Club rep)

He's doing a job on terms set out by the board. They take all the important decisions. It's good to see the club with decent financial controllers on board.

He has been very responsive to any questions I have sent by email - more so than the customer services.

A difficult job and I don't agree with all his decisions but I get the impression we are behind other championship clubs. I hope we retain our community and family friendly feel but is it possible in the corporate world we are heading towards?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I think the only thing we can praise the club for at the moment, is the fantastic stadium we have - and that is down to TB and thus makes him immune from criticism.

PB however has seemed to make poor & unpopular decisions from the day he joined us, such as the treatment of Gully's Girls and AITC, or the petty fee to become a mascot. I think if we made a list of all the unwelcome or downright poor decisions he has made from day one, we could compile a very long list by now. That's not to say that they aren't happening for a reason, the club HAS to save & make more money - but I can't help but think that Martin Perry would have considered the fans and the clubs values incomparably more than PB seems to be in doing so.

But that is precisely my point, they are not PB decisions, they are the clubs. Criticise him and you are criticising
TB and the club - that's not to say it ay not be warranted some times, but you cannot separate these thngs.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
To be fair, his brief was always likely to get him into some areas that were likely to be unpopular with the fans. I'm sure he has thick enough skin to realise that.

Funny how when some people slag off the club they aim it at Barber personally, but when they're praising the club they aim it at TB

Even funnier, most people thought Bloom and Poyet were one and the same thing not a huge time ago.

In fact, one's the owner, and one's an employee who's doing a job the owner might approve of at one time and maybe less so at another time in the future - in both cases.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I sometimes wonder why so many fans are Anti-Barber yet think the sun shines out of Bloom's arse at the same time.

Barber may well be your fall guy but he certainly isn't making some of these decisions that have upset you on his own. Much like CPFC2010 to some of our fans (perhaps myself included), TB seems slightly untouchable regardless of what's happening.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I had to write a letter today, explaining to some of my employees why I was having to cut some of their working hours.
When I was reading it back to myself, I realised that I had written it in the same style as one of PB's statments/interview answers. I was even reading it to myself in his voice!

JBenno OUT!

Yes but did you change it before you sent it? PB doesn't seem to!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Thank this man? thank him?

We've got some of the highest ticket prices in the country, escalating transport costs, unavoidable booking fees, expensive food and drink, costs a fortune to be a mascot, membership schemes left right and centre - thats not SAVING 8.5m like you claim, that's squeezing every last drop of revenue out of a fanbase to continue this accelerated push to the riches of the premier league, which, if we ever get there, will result in even bigger hikes in prices for us mere mortals. We're spending all this money so the club can employ an ever increasing band of first-team players on massive wages. Here's an idea, rather than employing three first-team goalies and signing every centre-midfielder that moves, lets stop charging fans for anything that moves, stop attacking the soul of this club and instead address FFP in the manner it was intended by playing the likes of Dunk, Ince, March and JFC, one of whom may actually turn out to be the next Walcott, Bale or Zaha if actually given a bloody chance to develop in the first team.

and breathe...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here